Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
These are special business class fares on OW (AA/BA/IB) from Africa to SEA and back with 2 free stopovers and 2 free transfers en route each way.
My ticket consists of 5 long haul international flights on BA/AA (MRU-LON-Cyprus-BOS, MCO-LON-MRU) and 4 domestic flights within US.
Available all year round. Fare code: ILCAFR [I class (business discounted) from and to Africa]. It is possible to include Canada (YVR, YYZ,YYC,YQB) and most European capitals served by AA/BA at no additional cost to this fare. the permutations are endless.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by lall
These are special business class fares on OW (AA/BA/IB) from Africa to SEA and back with 2 free stopovers and 2 free transfers en route each way.
My ticket consists of 5 long haul international flights on BA/AA (MRU-LON-Cyprus-BOS, MCO-LON-MRU) and 4 domestic flights within US.
Available all year round. Fare code: ILCAFR [I class (business discounted) from and to Africa]. It is possible to include Canada (YVR, YYZ,YYC,YQB) and most European capitals served by AA/BA at no additional cost to this fare. the permutations are endless.

I'm not too savvy. Where/how do you find this and how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Expertflyer.com coupled with an adventurous brain is the answer.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

depends on how AA system identify your origin and destination on the ticket. Either it is X on all stations on your route or there is O on SEA. I think there used to be a 3 or 4 segment limitation on domestic itineraries. Not sure if it is still the case. I once had a problem in BOS on a similar itinerary but on coach. The agent had to make a hand written tag for me. But that was 10 years ago. So do share once you are back. If any problem ask for someone senior in the team.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I have done a trip TYS-CLT-LGA-DCA-BUF with checked luggage, however none of my layovers were over 12 hrs. For a same day connection at ord over 12 hrs you may or may not get the checkin agent to check all the way through. If that is the case the bell desk at the ORD Hilton may hold your bags for you, but no guarantees.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Djokison:
As per AA website below, for through checked luggage (free of charge) the max. connection time between any two AA flights is 12 hrs

​​​​​​https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

In any case I have written to AA customer relations about my issue and am awaiting their response. Will post their reply accordingly.
All I found was "Also, you may have to pay bag fees again if:
  • You are connecting on another airline
  • Your connection on American is more than 12 hours later"
That doesn't clearly state the max time your bags can be checked between flights"
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have booked a four-flight domestic journey on American Airlines (all in First) on one ticket with the same PNR.
Flight details with departure and arrival timings as below:

15 Sept 2018: BOS-ORD - AA1509 - 07.17 am- 09.14 am (11:01 connection at ORD)
15 sept 2018 ORD-SEA - AA2586 - 20.15 pm - 22.40
16 Sept 2018 SEA-CLT - AA600 - 00.06 am - 08.10 am
16 Sept 2018 CLT - MCO - AA1849 - 09.20 am - 11.00 am

We will be 2 pax, both BA Gold Exec.
Our aim is to check in our luggage in Boston all the way through to our final destination (Orlando) so that we can have a full day sightseeing in Chicago (ORD) without the hassle of carrying luggage, then get to AA Flagship lounge in Chicago around 6.00 pm, have a shower and dinner, then on to Orlando via Seattle and Charlotte. We had to do this itinerary to fit a Oneworld promotional fare that makes Seattle a mandatory transfer/stopover point .

My question is: Is through check baggage on 4 successive flights allowed? Has anybody made the experience? Apart from the first connection, all others are tight and will probably entail a miss if our luggage is not checked through all the way.

Thank you for enlightening me.
None of the Connections exceed 12 hours, so there shouldn’t be a problem. If an agent brings up long stops, the Kline’s above are good for the 12 hour policy.

As we.ll, you could opt for the reasonably extra fee AA baggage delivery service, in which case your bags would be delivered to your MCO hotel, etc. and be there when you arrive. Link. (I’ve used this for my wife, and it worked quite well. For $29.95, SNF-DFW-BDL and on to her sister’s house in Somers, iirc.)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:34 pm

JDriver: Thanks a lot. If they do offer the AA baggage delivery service, i'll take it.

Also, i am convinced that since none of my connections is 12 hrs or over (the Chicago connection is 11 hrs 01 min), we should be OK. Also, since we are both Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold Exec) i hope there should be no problem at all.
I am still awaiting the formal reply from AA and will post it here as well as what actually happens.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:56 pm

Just checked the AA website for the suggested baggage delivery service.
However, there is a problem with the mandatory contact number required. It is programmed (I presume) to accept only a US phone number and is not accepting my country's phone number (probably due to a lesser number of digits). Same issue when i try to insert the passenger information details for online check in. My wife and I travel quite a lot across the world and AA is the only airline consistently not accepting our telephone numbers.
I think AA needs to open up to the world and realize that not all its pax are US residents or have a US phone number.
As a tourist how am i supposed to have a US phone number?
Would appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Just checked the AA website for the suggested baggage delivery service.
However, there is a problem with the mandatory contact number required. It is programmed (I presume) to accept only a US phone number and is not accepting my country's phone number (probably due to a lesser number of digits). Same issue when i try to insert the passenger information details for online check in. My wife and I travel quite a lot across the world and AA is the only airline consistently not accepting our telephone numbers.
I think AA needs to open up to the world and realize that not all its pax are US residents or have a US phone number.
As a tourist how am i supposed to have a US phone number?
Would appreciate any advice.
Thank you

Sim card and a burner phone. People do it all over the world.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:12 am

AA has now replied (see below) and they will check our luggage all the way through.

​​​​​​Whitby, Virginia
[email protected]
To XXXX

Greetings Dr. XXXX,

Thank you for contacting American Airlines. You can have up to a 12 hour stop over and your bags will transfer through, since your layover in Chicago is less than 12 hours you will be able to leave without picking the bags up. I hope this answers all your questions.
Regards,

Virginia
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:05 am
bww

Bags checked through?

For the following itinerary will my bags be checked through to SJU or will I need to pick them up in MIA?
AA 2206 from DFW to MIA, arrives 10:30PM
next morning: AA 1341 7:20 AM MIA to SJU
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
For a less than 12 hr layover there should be no problem getting them to check bags through.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:45 pm

This is an update on my original post after I completed the 4 domestic trips on AA today.
And yes, AA did through check our luggage on four consecutive flights from Boston Logan airport to our final destination via Chicago, Seattle and Charlotte.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:38 pm

Hello All,
As most others answered. I don't see an issue either. We created the INWEIGH app to specifically confirm baggage rules for such complicated itineraries. We have partnered with airline owned company to get the rules. Hope this is useful for situations like this. Download the app and let me know your thoughts.

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yetech.inweigh

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inwe...426365302?mt=8

Demo video-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.