Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think you are correct, that this HEL-JFK notation is confusing the OP. AA tickets have a habit of saying no free bags and then the charge is zero. Which is the same thing, just in a very convoluted and therefore confusing way.
He refers to "transatlantic connections". There are no connections on the return. That is non-stop HEL-JFK. The only connection is on the outbound, MIA-CDG-HEL.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
He refers to "transatlantic connections". There are no connections on the return. That is non-stop HEL-JFK. The only connection is on the outbound, MIA-CDG-HEL.
I think the OP meant TATL. The only time the OP would be checking in with finnair is at HEL
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Since the 1st checked bag is complimentary for: AAdvantage Gold, is it possible that this is what is reflected on the e-ticket receipt? It seems that the allowance of zero bags is correct due to the HBO fare, However, AY may not honour the zero charge for the bag as the charge is only waived by AA on AA operated flights, and I don't think there is special allowance across OW airlines for Ruby members. I do think that AY must honour that as it is what is indicated on the ticket.

I don't think that the allowance is uniform for the entire itinerary. It is per direction. I have a return ticket to the USA booked with AA where the outbound segments are in PE/E and the inbound ones are in business, and the allowance differs.

Originally Posted by Often1
The OP's question concerns the AY marketed and operated segment (HEL-JFK), where there is zero bag allowance.

Last edited by Andriyko; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:13 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat / QR Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The OP's question concerns the AY marketed and operated segment (HEL-JFK), where there is zero bag allowance.
Correct - the only time I'm checking in with Finnair is for the Finnair operated and marketed leg from HEL to JFK. Sorry about the confusion, I was using "connection" interchangeably with "leg." Finnair recently changed its baggage allowance policies such that TATL flights are now also sold without a complimentary bag, and per Finnair's website, my reservation is one of those.

I was also worried that I was getting marked down for a complimentary bag due to my AA Gold status, but since OW Ruby does not give me a complimentary bag with AY, the check-in agents are going to point to the HBO fare and point out that I don't have the necessary status to have the charge waived.

But if the agents in HEL are actually able to view my allowance by a software program that recognizes U.S. DOT rules and the primacy of my AA luggage allowance, then I expect to have no problems. If that's not the case, AY will most definitely give me troubles, and referring to a U.S. DOT regulation at a check-in counter is only going to get a response of a couple eye rolls and deep sighs, and then it will be up to me to file the complaint and all the rest of that.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gaggia
Correct - the only time I'm checking in with Finnair is for the Finnair operated and marketed leg from HEL to JFK. Sorry about the confusion, I was using "connection" interchangeably with "leg." Finnair recently changed its baggage allowance policies such that TATL flights are now also sold without a complimentary bag, and per Finnair's website, my reservation is one of those.

I was also worried that I was getting marked down for a complimentary bag due to my AA Gold status, but since OW Ruby does not give me a complimentary bag with AY, the check-in agents are going to point to the HBO fare and point out that I don't have the necessary status to have the charge waived.

But if the agents in HEL are actually able to view my allowance by a software program that recognizes U.S. DOT rules and the primacy of my AA luggage allowance, then I expect to have no problems. If that's not the case, AY will most definitely give me troubles, and referring to a U.S. DOT regulation at a check-in counter is only going to get a response of a couple eye rolls and deep sighs, and then it will be up to me to file the complaint and all the rest of that.
Unfortunately, that is not what you said in your OP.

Nonetheless, an AY check-in agent at HEL will see the allowance from your e-ticket receipt when you check your bag.

The AY agents should simply have referred you to your e-ticket receipt for an already-ticketed itinerary rather than trying to figure out something they are not trained to do.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Your reservation shows no amount for the baggage fee from HEL-JFK, so I don't see the problem.
As indicated, due to US law, you cannot be charged for baggage on the return part of a roundtrip ticket if the outbound ticket does not have a fee.
The reservation clearly indicates the fee for HEL-JFK. $0
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This seems to be a bit of a tempest in a teacup, no? The pasted information makes it very clear that there is no baggage fee.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This seems to be a bit of a tempest in a teacup, no? The pasted information makes it very clear that there is no baggage fee.
true. I still feel the wording is confusing to someone not used to reading this. no free bags and 0 USD for bags are technically the same thing but read as contradicting statements.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by Antarius
true. I still feel the wording is confusing to someone not used to reading this. no free bags and 0 USD for bags are technically the same thing but read as contradicting statements.
Yes, the wording seemed quite contradictory to me.

But the more pressing problem which is not so much a tempest in a teacup is that AY's website doesn't read my ticket information correctly and demands payment for the bag. That means I won't be able to check in online and select a seat when they become available at 24 hours before check-in, unless I tell them I have no bags and then show up at the airport with one anyway. I'm not sure how that would shake down.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gaggia
Yes, the wording seemed quite contradictory to me.

But the more pressing problem which is not so much a tempest in a teacup is that AY's website doesn't read my ticket information correctly and demands payment for the bag. That means I won't be able to check in online and select a seat when they become available at 24 hours before check-in, unless I tell them I have no bags and then show up at the airport with one anyway. I'm not sure how that would shake down.
I'm sure that's happened about a billion times in the past, will not be an issue. Just check in online, get your seat, if it tries to charge for a bag just change it to no bag and get it sorted at the airport.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Had this issue with AA/BA last year

AA ticket had 2 bags included for DXB-JFK, and the eticket printout mentioned it as well. But when checking in at the DXB BA counter, the (otherwise helpful) agent was clear that because her (BA) system said just 1 bag she would have to go by that
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Had this issue with AA/BA last year

AA ticket had 2 bags included for DXB-JFK, and the eticket printout mentioned it as well. But when checking in at the DXB BA counter, the (otherwise helpful) agent was clear that because her (BA) system said just 1 bag she would have to go by that
Right - that's exactly what I'm worried about. I've encountered way too many check-in agents who aren't willing to negotiate or accommodate like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
AA will check through on overnight connections. They won't check through on connections of over 12 hours, which is what will get the OP.
I almost started a new thread since the earlier situation addressed involved BA and LHR connection but decided to avoid cluttering the forum.

I booked single ticket with HKG 23-hour connection AA to CX. Should I reasonably expect that AA will not check my baggage through and that I will need to retrieve in HKG? This is one rare occasion where I will travel with maximum baggage allowance, so I really would like to not retrieve my bags.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old May 3, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fbutera
We booked LAX to ATH with miles. We are flying AA, LAX - LHR, arriving 12:40 PM. Then, the next day we fly BA, LHR - ATH, leaving at 9 AM. We called AA and were told that we will be required to claim our bag at Heathrow. They won’t hold our bags over night. A search on this site brought up conflicting advice. Any recent travelers flown through LHR arriving on AA and leaving on BA the next day. Knowing for certain will help with packing!
Yes, you can check them all of the way through ..........
Oops, if you were flying BA all of the way, yes
AA no, apparently if over 12 hrs
Old May 4, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Totoro
I almost started a new thread since the earlier situation addressed involved BA and LHR connection but decided to avoid cluttering the forum.

I booked single ticket with HKG 23-hour connection AA to CX. Should I reasonably expect that AA will not check my baggage through and that I will need to retrieve in HKG? This is one rare occasion where I will travel with maximum baggage allowance, so I really would like to not retrieve my bags.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
You should plan that AA will not check your bags through on that long of a connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.