Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:25 am

Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
2, no, yes

Did this really need its own thread?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
(Sarcasm on) One can only assume AA websites are inaccessible from the UK, or telephones, cellular, or "mobiles" have yet to be introduced to the UK. (sarcasm off)
Thanks for this perfect response, you really are a star.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by xcalx
Thanks for this perfect response, you really are a star.
As are you.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Will they check my bag through?

Day 1 mid afternoon SFO-ORD
Day 2 mid afternoon ORD-PEK

I really don't want to lug my bag around Chicago. will they check it all the way through? My time in ORD will be less than 24 hours. About 20 to be exact.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
no. they won't through check on a connection over 12 hours
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
no. they won't through check on a connection over 12 hours
grrrr ok, thank you.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Are you on separate tickets or PNRs? Are you remaining in Chicago over eleven hours? In either case you will have to recover your baggage and recheck.

In this instance, you may wish to see if you can store your bag at the Hilton in ORD (not farvfrom light rail into town).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
Platinum baggage allowance for Asia-North America flights?

It seems like it should be very simple to find an answer to this question from the AA web site, but as far as I can tell, it is not clearly spelled out.

I am shortly going to be flying from HKG to the US on AA metal, economy, and this being Christmas time will be carrying more stuff than I would prefer. The free checked baggage allowance for all Y passengers on this route would appear to be two bags. As an AA Plat, do I really not get any additional baggage allowance beyond that?

And, in those circumstances in which Plats do get an extra allowance, does that allowance extend to non-Plats travelling the same itinerary in the same PNR, as it used to with USAirways (my partner is Gold only)?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

David
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tacommuter
It seems like it should be very simple to find an answer to this question from the AA web site, but as far as I can tell, it is not clearly spelled out.

I am shortly going to be flying from HKG to the US on AA metal, economy, and this being Christmas time will be carrying more stuff than I would prefer. The free checked baggage allowance for all Y passengers on this route would appear to be two bags. As an AA Plat, do I really not get any additional baggage allowance beyond that?

And, in those circumstances in which Plats do get an extra allowance, does that allowance extend to non-Plats travelling the same itinerary in the same PNR, as it used to with USAirways (my partner is Gold only)?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

David
These threads are probably where you'll find the answers:

Checked Baggage / Luggage on AA and Partners

AA Plat redeeming miles - does traveling companion also get the 2 free checked bags?

The answers appear to be:

1. That is correct
2. Yes, 2

But best to read for yourself.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Travel from Turin Italy to PHL checked bag question

My niece in Turin Italy is traveling to Philadelphia later this month, she is looking at booking TRN-MUC-PHL this means Lufthansa from Turin and American from Munich. After searching the forum and getting overwhelmed with the results (guess I did not come up with a good search string) I have the following questions:
1) Will she be able to check the bags at TRN to the final destination PHL?
2) If she can not check bags to PHL from TRN will 2 hours be enough time for the connection in MUC?
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by swanscn
My niece in Turin Italy is traveling to Philadelphia later this month, she is looking at booking TRN-MUC-PHL this means Lufthansa from Turin and American from Munich. After searching the forum and getting overwhelmed with the results (guess I did not come up with a good search string) I have the following questions:
1) Will she be able to check the bags at TRN to the final destination PHL?
2) If she can not check bags to PHL from TRN will 2 hours be enough time for the connection in MUC?
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays
Assuming that your niece is planning to purchase a single ticket with these two flights, her bags will be checked in at Turin and sent on to PHL. She will not see them at all in Munich. She will need to have her passport stamped at MUC, since that is where she will leave the Schengen zone. (Italy and Germany are both part of the zone, so the flight from Turin to Munich is classified as a domestic flight.)
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Bag allowance SE Asia

My wife is flying on an award ticket in Y from LAX to NRT (AA169) and connects to a Vietnam Airlines Y to SGN. First leg to NRT she is allowed the generous 2 bags, but VN Airlines has a 20kg limit. How is this handled when she checks into LAX AA counter, the bags are checked through and how is it going to affect bag fees?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Assuming this is on one ticket, AA's baggage allowance will apply for both flights, so VN's lower limits won't affect your wife.

If it's not on one ticket, then your wife's bags will only be checked to NRT (because AA won't check bags through on separate tickets) and she will have to collect her bags and recheck in with VN and be subject to their limits and fees.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA-Plat
2 PNRs both flights on AA

Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners and to reduce
baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and
baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Got to experience this new policy first hand in November. We had a flight from AUS to LAX and a separate PNR from LAX to KOA. We had originally booked as 2 separate flights to accommodate a day in LAX on the way to AUS as well as different cabins. When we originally booked, there was no way to mix coach and first class between the flights, so we book KOA/LAX - LAX/KOA and a separate PNR LAX/AUS - AUS/LAX.

When we went to AUS to attempt to check-through our luggage to KOA, we were told this was no longer an option. Good thing our luggage was carry-on size so we opted to carry-on to avoid having to re-check through security at LAX.

Lesson learned for future flights on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.