Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:19 pm

Just a quick question guys. I'm flying out JFK to SFO in June with platinum status and looking at a Saturday 7 am flight. Just looking for some opinions on how often these clear. If I still had EXP status, I would just buy Y and wait to see if I upgrade. But platinum, I'm guessing the chances are pretty low even for a saturday am flight?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:10 am

AA15 is usually easily to clear on Saturdays for Miles+Copay. EF just showed immediate C availability (> 2 seats) for the first 2 Saturdays in June if that's when you're going.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
AA 30 (11:45pm), LAX-JFK
March 28
Y->J comp EXP upgrade cleared 40hrs out
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Was looking at LAX-JFK on 4/23...the flight I wanted was C2. I needed to confirm with work the time was ok...checked again the flight was now C7. Booked the flight and it ticketed only to check right before calling to confirm a miles + copay upgrade and the flight is now C0. ...! Nothing changed with the overall inventory (I.e. travel agent blocking out a chunk of flights, etc.) why would this happen literally 5 minutes after ticketing???
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Weird...same exact thing happened to me. Got an EF alert for C on a flight ~6 weeks out, saw C7 on EF (all other flights that day were C0), put the flight on hold with intent of ticketing later today, saw your post, refreshed EF, and went to C0, all in the span of about 15 minutes. I suspect it was a temporary "glitch" of some sort that caused C7 to be released...I never see C >3 released on JFK-LAX this far in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by ntamayo
AA15 is usually easily to clear on Saturdays for Miles+Copay. EF just showed immediate C availability (> 2 seats) for the first 2 Saturdays in June if that's when you're going.
I've used that flight several times in years past (for MRs) and always found Y->J C inventory ahead of time. I usually used BE BXP1 or miles+copay. I've never wanted to risk trying for the complimentary upgrade on a redeye.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3
I've used that flight several times in years past (for MRs) and always found Y->J C inventory ahead of time. I usually used BE BXP1 or miles+copay. I've never wanted to risk trying for the complimentary upgrade on a redeye.
AA 15 is not a redeye...it's the 8am-ish westbound JFK-SFO.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmblinn
To my thinking, this is one of the last remaining sweet spots not (yet) snuffed out by AA.
Yeah, I definitely agree it's a sweet spot, at least on transcons. Less attractive on my more typical midcon flights, but then those are less painful in coach so I just take my chances with EXP comps (and so far my chances have been good! Upgraded on 27/34 flights in 2018.). FWIW I feel like all miles+copay prices are well worth it if you can get them to clear.

Postscript: my miles+copay upgrade did indeed clear at T-48. They also cleared 2 upgrades at the gate, and I happened to be sitting next to the guy who was 3rd on the list. He was EXP but had not used an instrument...also didn't know what his rolling EQD was or how the lists were ordered, so it's hard to say whether I'd have gotten the bump without the upgrade instrument. All in all I'm completely satisfied with the way it all went down.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:15 pm

Any recent experiences with Tuesday late afternoon LAX-JFK flights (3:30 or 4:30)? Got one coming up; four weeks out, there are two J and seven MCE seats taken. J is emptier than I thought it would be this (relatively) close in, but thought I'd seek out any thoughts from the veterans over here.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Any recent experiences with Tuesday late afternoon LAX-JFK flights (3:30 or 4:30)? Got one coming up; four weeks out, there are two J and seven MCE seats taken. J is emptier than I thought it would be this (relatively) close in, but thought I'd seek out any thoughts from the veterans over here.
Tickets are usually purchased within 2 weeks on this route, sometimes much less than that so it’s tough to tell from the seat map this far out. Even a few days out, there’s a lot of last minute purchases. I’ve had decent luck with the 3:30 and 4:30 since it gets into JFK so late in the evening but it’s honestly a crap shoot. Redeye is definitely harder to come by for upgrades
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:39 pm

AA 171 JFK-LAX this Sunday (6:00AM Departure), cleared 100 hours out.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm an ExPlat flying in paid business (D) and wondering if there is space available, they will grant me a one class upgrade to F? Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm an ExPlat flying in paid business (D) and wondering if there is space available, they will grant me a one class upgrade to F? Thanks
They will not hand out complimentary upgrades to F unless lower cabin(s) (J and/or Y) are oversold, creating an operational need to roll the cabins forward.
tfizzle likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow my JFK-LAX on Saturday just cleared early this morning, over 4 days out.
DMPHL likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:29 am

Cleared about 20 hours out on my LAX-JFK redeye last night. Upgrade list only had 3 people on it at the gate (none cleared).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.