Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by lizthegrey
Economy was oversold on today's AA166 so they rolled the cabins forward. Spouse and I were traveling together, but only one of us got the nod (4 people in total got upgraded, we were 4/5 on the list). Hopefully being honest about which one of us wanted the seat won't cause me to have 500-mile-upgrades deducted (since I would have gotten it complimentary); if not, I might try to complain half-heartedly...
Which one of you actually had your seat updated? If you did and you gave the seat to your SO you'll be fine. If your SO is the one who got the seat changed then I don't think AA's systems are able to figure that out and I imagine you will have stickers deducted. Writing in to explain what happened might possibly work esp if you said the gate agent upgraded the wrong one
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Which one of you actually had your seat updated? If you did and you gave the seat to your SO you'll be fine. If your SO is the one who got the seat changed then I don't think AA's systems are able to figure that out and I imagine you will have stickers deducted. Writing in to explain what happened might possibly work esp if you said the gate agent upgraded the wrong one
SO's seat was updated and was checked off on the upgrade list.

It looks like the gate agent did the right thing, and I still have all the 500-mile upgrades I started with
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Just cleared miles + copay from Y>J for AA185 (8:30PM departure JFK-LAX) on 5/12/19. Cabin looks nearly empty - wondering if I would have ultimately cleared a comp. upgrade but nice to be sure for a 6 hour flight.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Flying LAX-JFK on Friday 5/3 AA28 at 10:50pm. Expertyflyer currently showing F3, A3, J3, D3, I0, and economy across the board with 7. Wondering what my odds for a EXP 500-mile comp Y>J upgrade as an EXP with ~$16k in rolling EQD. Currently there are only about 5 MCE seats assigned on this flight of 36 total MCE, with regular economy mostly full. Any thoughts here?

Last edited by mrosskam; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
The great way AA handles upgrades on premium transcon

I've always found strange how AA will only hold one J seat for the day before departure, filling it with upgrades the 4 days before that. However, this works rather well on the premium A321T flights.

I'm flying LAX->BOS this Thursday on the A321T redeye. As an exec plat, I was upgraded to J within hours of the 5 day window. The flight was J7 with 6 seats open, and quickly all but one filled up. The next day, there was still only one empty seat, and yet the flight was still J4 (and also F7). Since then, the flight has gone to J1 and F4 (and no additional seats have been taken on the F cabin). Clearly, AA is "lending" some F inventory to J, with the plan to roll the cabins if necessary.

It's great that some in J will get the F upgrade complimentary (and in fact I've gotten that before as a double upgrade from Y). What's even greater is that it enables AA to upgrade some in Y to J far in advance, filling up the remaining empty seats in the cabin with upgrades, while still selling expensive last minute seats (well not exactly last minute, but you get the point).

In fact, I think this makes for one of the most valuable sweet spots of exec plat (and to a lesser extent plat pro and plat). I've read plenty rants about how AA doesn't release much award space on these routes, but in fact I find that upgrading from Y to J is rather easy when you play your cards right, and getting upgraded to F is a thing too. I'd definitely take the current system to no upgrades but some award availability far in advance.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by SEA737; Apr 30, 2019 at 9:28 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I think there is a significant amount of last-minute "movement" on these flights - passengers cancelling/changing itineraries as well as last-minute purchases in all cabins. To the extent AA knows a flight gets more last-minute J/F cancellations, it would be willing to process upgrades in advance even when flights look nearly full in J. My non-status husband confirmed a mileage upgrade into C on JFK-SFO earlier this year at booking, about 5 days before. On his return, he was waitlisted as a Platinum, but still cleared a flight showing J0 a day or two beforehand, although there was lots of weather-related IRROPS then, and ultimately they voluntarily reconfirmed him into J on a flight the next day when he didn't want to depart SFO on a severely delayed late-night departure.

BTW, this probably belongs here, will alert a mod.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
How does the upgrade process work on the 321T?

I'm sure this has been covered, but didn't see it...

How do comp upgrades work on the 321T?

For example: J is Full, F is empty with 10 people on the upgrade list. Do people in J get upgraded to F to make room for the people in Y on the upgrade list for J? Do 10 people get moved from J to F so those 10 people on the upgrade list get Y to J??

Hope that makes sense?
Old May 1, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ridepow

For example: J is Full, F is empty with 10 people on the upgrade list. Do people in J get upgraded to F to make room for the people in Y on the upgrade list for J? Do 10 people get moved from J to F so those 10 people on the upgrade list get Y to J??

Hope that makes sense?
Nope, unfortunately AA never rolls J into F to facilitate Y to J upgrades. They'll only ever do so if Y or J is oversold.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

Hope that makes sense?
No, AA will not roll cabins to accommodate upgrades. If J is full, no one in Y will get upgraded, even if F is completely empty.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by potus18
Nope, unfortunately AA never rolls J into F to facilitate Y to J upgrades. They'll only ever do so if Y or J is oversold.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
No, AA will not roll cabins to accommodate upgrades. If J is full, no one in Y will get upgraded, even if F is completely empty.
Copy that. Makes sense, I guess. Pretty nice ride in F if it's only you and a couple other people.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Copy that. Makes sense, I guess. Pretty nice ride in F if it's only you and a couple other people.
pretty nice ride even if F is full if you ask me...
Old May 2, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will likely fill with non-revs, they're like moths to a flame when they see a flight in their system with all that availability.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Anyone have any idea why LAX-JFK are so full next week? J on my flight has been sold out for over a month - cannot recall ever seeing that before
Old May 10, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Anyone have any idea why LAX-JFK are so full next week? J on my flight has been sold out for over a month - cannot recall ever seeing that before
Which day? It doesn't seem too full. Flights from tomorrow thru Wed are already within the EXP upgrade window so it makes sense they're filling up, and even then they don't seem fuller than usual to me. More than half of Thursday's flights are at J6 or J7. Friday might be the only day that is a bit full, although I haven't flown on Friday before so I don't know if that's unusual. Saturday looks open.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by uscjeff
They're down 1 A321T at the moment due to the "wing contact" event at JFK in April . They pulled one JFK-LAX off of the schedule. I am actually suprised they didn't steal it from the two that BOS-LAX requires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.