Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by as219
Does anyone have recent experience with J->F buy-ups?

We're booked in paid J (an I fare) but would be interested in trying F one way. We have no status. What kind of buy-up offers are people getting these days ex-JFK?
I have never seen a buy-up offer, but if there's A class available, then you can call AA and use miles + co-pay to confirm an upgrade from J --> F.

Or you can call AA and tell them you want to buy-up to F and they will charge you the fare difference without a change fee
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
[QUOTE=Finsup72;28616512]I have never seen a buy-up offer, but if there's A class available, then you can call AA and use miles + co-pay to confirm an upgrade from J --> F.

I had a buy up offer a while back - $250. These days in my observations F, is not much more than J to just buy outright, and it is so much better.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Finsup72
I have never seen a buy-up offer, but if there's A class available, then you can call AA and use miles + co-pay to confirm an upgrade from J --> F.

Or you can call AA and tell them you want to buy-up to F and they will charge you the fare difference without a change fee
Sadly we lack the RDM for x2 upgrades and the fare difference at booking was more than $600 p/p. UA used to offer reasonable J->F buy ups when their transcons were three-class, hence my question.

Originally Posted by prw555
I had a buy up offer a while back - $250. These days in my observations F, is not much more than J to just buy outright, and it is so much better.
For $250 we'd do it. Between the new Flagship dining experience at JFK, and the fact that we always enjoy trying new products, it's worth a premium. Just not $600 a person...
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
JFK --> SFO on Monday July 24 at 7am had an upgrade list of 26 people from Y --> J. Gate agent came on board to upgrade #1 on the list but many EPs stuck in coach
'stuck' or sitting in the cabin they purchased?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Precisely. ^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Completely agree, but I think many EXPs have the 'expectation' of an upgrade even when they purchase Y
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jcatman
Precisely. ^
Delta and United don't even offer upgrades on this route. JetBlue (the darling on these routes) doesn't offer upgrades at all to my knowledge. Frankly pricing for J and F for these flights is pretty cheap relative to the quality of the product and length of flight time. If you book far enough out, you can buy a flagship lounge access, a lie flat seat, drinks and a meal, and in-cabin entertainment for $700 or so each way with a J ticket. You also get 5,000 EQM each way.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Cleared 60hrs out

Cleared AA177 JFK -> SFO Y -> J on a Sunday ~60hrs out. Granted, this is the weekend and not elite heavy....but still was nice to get the early upgrade and enjoy the new Flagship Lounge @ JFK.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Delta and United don't even offer upgrades on this route. JetBlue (the darling on these routes) doesn't offer upgrades at all to my knowledge. Frankly pricing for J and F for these flights is pretty cheap relative to the quality of the product and length of flight time. If you book far enough out, you can buy a flagship lounge access, a lie flat seat, drinks and a meal, and in-cabin entertainment for $700 or so each way with a J ticket. You also get 5,000 EQM each way.
Delta offers comp upgrades now, whether you get it or not is another story.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by hiima
Delta offers comp upgrades now, whether you get it or not is another story.
I don't think this is correct about DL transcon upgrades. They are allowed on JFK-SEA but not on true D1 flights JFK-LAX/SFO or BOS-SFO, DCA-LAX.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I don't think this is correct about DL transcon upgrades. They are allowed on JFK-SEA but not on true D1 flights JFK-LAX/SFO or BOS-SFO, DCA-LAX.
Ah, yes, DL allows RUC upgrades on transcons. Either way, probably not gonna get an upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aequitas
Cleared AA177 JFK -> SFO Y -> J on a Sunday ~60hrs out. Granted, this is the weekend and not elite heavy....but still was nice to get the early upgrade and enjoy the new Flagship Lounge @ JFK.
You can gain admission to the AC/FL on a Y booked ticket upgraded to J? I thought upgrades do not count for admission...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:04 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Completely agree, but I think many EXPs have the 'expectation' of an upgrade even when they purchase Y
I don't think many EXPs expect to clear the premium transcons with any regularity. Flights like ORD-RAP sure...but not JFK-LAX/SFO all the time. Certainly not on Monday morning.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I don't think many EXPs expect to clear the premium transcons with any regularity. Flights like ORD-RAP sure...but not JFK-LAX/SFO all the time. Certainly not on Monday morning.
Not even red-eyes, not for years.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uscjeff
You can gain admission to the AC/FL on a Y booked ticket upgraded to J? I thought upgrades do not count for admission...
Upgrades have almost never been treated differently than paid tickets.
I think there was a brief time where 3-class transcon F Flagship Lounge access was only for F or Z booking codes (full fare or award); I don't remember if this also applied for business class access to the Admirals Club. In any event, that restriction didn't last too long, and is long gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.