Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Yep, you can’t use stickers (500-mile upgrades) to upgrade from J to F—you can only use them for Y to J. You can use an SWU, miles+copay, or BusinessExtra (BXP1) certifícate to upgrade to F.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yep, you can’t use stickers (500-mile upgrades) to upgrade from J to F—you can only use them for Y to J. You can use an SWU, miles+copay, or BusinessExtra (BXP1) certifícate to upgrade to F.
Got it! Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:47 am

Just as a datapoint: was offered and took a paid upgrade from J-F on my JFK -SFO flight. Fee was $262.
I booked a cheap AMS-SFO return Premium fare (gone) as published on this board so I had a little bit left in my travel budget
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Wife (Gold) got upgraded 24h in advance flying LAX-JFK on a Saturday night redeye via 500 mile upgrades. She booked a few days before and I just basically checked the loads on ExpertFlyer to see which flight had the most availability in premium cabins. I don't think AA sold a single seat in F prior to the upgrade window, and it was still J7.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Hi all! Wanted to ask a strategy question. I am AA plat and flying LAX-JFK in economy on an 11pm redeye going out on 8/15. Right now, expertflyer is showing J7 but no inventory for upgrades. Should I just monitor to see how the inventory looks as I get closer to the flight date and then pull the trigger on a 15k + copay upgrade if it doesn't look too promising for a 500-mile upgrade? Or, should I put in the upgrade request now? thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Put in the upgrade request now, but continue to monitor (and set up an expert flyer alert) because the waiting list isn’t processed the moment upgrade room opens up.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Just happened to be awake (insomnia at times) when my 100-hr upgrade email arrived (SFO-JFK). Now, if I'm hoping to be lucky to get the same treatment on my return. Not counting on it since is Friday 5:30. But one never knows.

I'm figuring that some connecting passengers from abroad is gonna snag it. Several seats (10) are open according to the seat map. I tend to hover between #1-5 on the upgrade list lately. There's hope!!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:45 pm

Hrm since I'm paranoid. I was able to book an upgradable seat in economy and use the bxp1 upgrade pass on my flight. I was able to pick my business class seat on the app, but as I read the top part of the wiki I saw that elites and SWU/Miles/Copay are higher priority.

Assuming there's no weird airplane change, am I guaranteed that seat? or would I be bumped down if there are enough people above me?

Also does the boarding pass show that I'm in business (assuming all goes well) and I'd be able to access the flagship lounge if flying out of JFK?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by buggy51
Hrm since I'm paranoid. I was able to book an upgradable seat in economy and use the bxp1 upgrade pass on my flight. I was able to pick my business class seat on the app, but as I read the top part of the wiki I saw that elites and SWU/Miles/Copay are higher priority.

Assuming there's no weird airplane change, am I guaranteed that seat? or would I be bumped down if there are enough people above me?

Also does the boarding pass show that I'm in business (assuming all goes well) and I'd be able to access the flagship lounge if flying out of JFK?
If you are already confirmed for the upgrade and reticketed in C class you are fine. The priority for the upgrade list only applies to those still waitlisted for an upgrade. And yes, Biz gets you access to the flagship lounge. Enjoy the flight!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I've been reasonably successful lately on upgrading J-->F on LAX/SFO to JFK runs with the 15k miles plus co-pay. Since July 1, 6 for 8.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
J to F is one of the easiest upgrades around
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
J to F is one of the easiest upgrades around
And not anything worth writing home about. I was rolled up to F on all 22 LAX<->BOS trips I took while the 321T was flying the route. I suppose it’s a bit more private, but it’s absolutely not worth the price premium for a slightly wider seat and $9 instead of $7 worth of food. Probably why nobody paid for it in the first place.
Zacnlinc and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AA2070

And not anything worth writing home about. I was rolled up to F on all 22 LAX<->BOS trips I took while the 321T was flying the route. I suppose it’s a bit more private, but it’s absolutely not worth the price premium for a slightly wider seat and $9 instead of $7 worth of food. Probably why nobody paid for it in the first place.
But F does give you access to Flagship First Dining, which is a definite step up in terms of the ground experience.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by AA2070

yea.. I was recently looking at a J---> F upgrade on the SFO<->JFK flights but just cannot see the justification for doing so even they seem to be always offering the option to upgrade with SWUs.

Just returned to SFO from JFK last night at I was surprised that, as #2 on the UG list, and the cabin was said to be sold out, the GA came onboard right when the announcement came that doors are closed to give me my upgraded seat assignment. #1 got their new seat assignment right before boarding started.

No complaints... Y still had seats available as did F. Was awkward as two FA and the GA approached me to assist with getting my carry on moved from Y to J and seated ASAP.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The elusive double upgrade just happened to me. Confirmed into J on a complimentary exp upgrade at T-24, then op-upped to F at the boarding gate due to an overwhelming number of standbys for paid J switching to my earlier flight due to runway construction at SFO. Whee!

Can't count upon this lasting forever, but a small consolation for a 4+ hour flight delay...
jcatman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.