Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Sadly, you will likely stay in coach. J will likely be in full with at most a token upgrade or two available. AA is happier to give F seats to its employees and let paying customers sit in coach. Sad!
What makes this complaint so disingenuous is it isn't even AA specific. Upgrades for one cabin class (Y to J OR J to F) using an instrument is an industry standard. I am not aware of any airline on earth where there is an upgrade instrument that will get you from Y to F when there is a J cabin. Nor am I aware of any airline that advertises complimentary J to F upgrades for elites as an elite benefit (complimentary Y to J is only a common program benefit on US domestic flights).

This should be filed under the "least substantive thing you can complain about" thread.
ralphs, Antarius and Finsup72 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
What makes this complaint so disingenuous is it isn't even AA specific. Upgrades for one cabin class (Y to J OR J to F) using an instrument is an industry standard. I am not aware of any airline on earth where there is an upgrade instrument that will get you from Y to F when there is a J cabin. Nor am I aware of any airline that advertises complimentary J to F upgrades for elites as an elite benefit (complimentary Y to J is only a common program benefit on US domestic flights).

This should be filed under the "least substantive thing you can complain about" thread.
Even better, AA should stop selling J and F and just give them out for free. You, know, just cause.

AA actually has a very generous transcon upgrade policy, so for all their warts, this isnt where I would be complaining.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Is multiple FAs stopping by to chat with a (fairly young by flyertalk standards) pax in F cabin on a three-cabin flight for several minutes at cruising altitude a good indicator that the pax is an airline employee who was handed down the F seat by AA?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by flyinggum
Is multiple FAs stopping by to chat with a (fairly young by flyertalk standards) pax in F cabin on a three-cabin flight for several minutes at cruising altitude a good indicator that the pax is an airline employee who was handed down the F seat by AA?
Could be a non-rev (not necessarily an employee) or a frequent F customer. I'd hesitate to use the phrase "handed down" as it suggests a giveaway of some sort rather than a perk offered in accordance with company policy only when there are no revenue passengers willing to purchase the product.
TWA884 and ralphs like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jul 11, 2019 at 11:04 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:06 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by wetrat0

The question was raised and I responded so not sure how you came to the conclusion it was disingenuous. Had I responded with 'Unique to AA....' perhaps your comment would be valid. It really was not in this case. Nevertheless, next time I will start such a response with "'In keeping with industry norms,....'
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Even better, AA should stop selling J and F and just give them out for free. You, know, just cause.

AA actually has a very generous transcon upgrade policy, so for all their warts, this isnt where I would be complaining.
Yes, that was exactly what I was suggesting. OK - sarcasm off.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Could be a non-rev (not necessarily an employee) or a frequent F customer. I'd hesitate to use the phrase "handed down" as it suggests a giveaway of some sort rather than a perk offered in accordance with company policy only when there are no revenue passengers willing to purchase the product.
That "perk" is indeed a giveaway!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Yes, that was exactly what I was suggesting. OK - sarcasm off.

didn't we already have this discussion on another thread?

good luck finding an airline that upgrade elites for free to long-haul premium cabins. (outside of Up-Ops)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:03 am

Smile

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
didn't we already have this discussion on another thread?

good luck finding an airline that upgrade elites for free to long-haul premium cabins. (outside of Up-Ops)
Yes, we sure did!

At this point, I just wish AA would allow those who paid for J to use "sticker" upgrades into F. That would likely result in many more J to F upgrades than occur nowadays due to requirement for SWU or miles. This should dramatically reduce the non-rev in F problem while providing Ex Plats (and other elites) more opportunities to upgrade into J. Problem solved!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, we sure did!

At this point, I just wish AA would allow those who paid for J to use "sticker" upgrades into F. That would likely result in many more J to F upgrades than occur nowadays due to requirement for SWU or miles. This should dramatically reduce the non-rev in F problem while providing Ex Plats (and other elites) more opportunities to upgrade into J. Problem solved!
Or they could actually release F saver space and get a liability off their books while improving AAdvantage value.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
I had my first LAX-JFK-LAX round trip during regular business commute hours last week and was upgraded on both flights as an EXP with about 25k rolling EQD. Monday morning 7am flight cleared four pax to J at the gate. Thursday evening 8pm flight I was upgraded to J at 100 hours, and actually op-up'd to F at boarding. I was not expecting much based on reports in this thread. Did I just get lucky last week?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by LAXmatt
I had my first LAX-JFK-LAX round trip during regular business commute hours last week and was upgraded on both flights as an EXP with about 25k rolling EQD. Monday morning 7am flight cleared four pax to J at the gate. Thursday evening 8pm flight I was upgraded to J at 100 hours, and actually op-up'd to F at boarding. I was not expecting much based on reports in this thread. Did I just get lucky last week?
I would say the Monday morning upgrade is nice but not out of what I would expect. The double upgrade is very rare on a paid Y ticket. On Paid J it happens time to time due to overbooking in Y but I’m surprised there weren’t enough paid J that they didn’t all get upgraded before you. Paid J loads are usually quite good JFK-LAX especially on a Thursday evening.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

I would say the Monday morning upgrade is nice but not out of what I would expect. The double upgrade is very rare on a paid Y ticket. On Paid J it happens time to time due to overbooking in Y but I’m surprised there weren’t enough paid J that they didn’t all get upgraded before you. Paid J loads are usually quite good JFK-LAX especially on a Thursday evening.
I guess I did get lucky last week. Was 7th on the list for both the same flights this week, with 0 and 1 clearing at the gate, respectively.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but i'm new to this forum. Looking at booking business from JFK-SFO in August. I have 20 500-mile upgrades. It wasn't clear on AA.com that I could use those 500-mile upgrades to book into Flagship First. It seems from the Wiki that I could but depends on availability closer in. Is that right?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but i'm new to this forum. Looking at booking business from JFK-SFO in August. I have 20 500-mile upgrades. It wasn't clear on AA.com that I could use those 500-mile upgrades to book into Flagship First. It seems from the Wiki that I could but depends on availability closer in. Is that right?
The AA website indicates that you can apply 500-mile upgrades to tickets purchased in the Main Cabin or Premium Economy, for an upgrade to the next class of service. I don't see any language allowing you to purchase Business and moving to First with 500-mile upgrades.

However, you could potentially move to First using miles + copay upgrade on your paid business-class seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.