Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
...this was my strategy that paid off...
Nicely done! Enjoy the ride.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Can always do a SDC to earlier / later flight that is showing open, I did it to the 6am on wednesday and immediately cleared.

Last edited by DuncanCrowdSync; Feb 27, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This is exactly the point that you said I didn't make that I did - that 500 upgrades will clear before SWUs (or Miles and copay) within the window if they don't open C space. Reading comprehension? 🤷.♂️
Appreciate the kind words. Your point is inaccurate though, there is no case where requesting SWU or miles+copay hurts you in the upgrade list. It can only help if C space opens up. If C space doesn't open up, you are no worse off than before requesting the upgrade with an instrument.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Appreciate the kind words. Your point is inaccurate though, there is no case where requesting SWU or miles+copay hurts you in the upgrade list. It can only help if C space opens up. If C space doesn't open up, you are no worse off than before requesting the upgrade with an instrument.
This is exactly my experience. I was waitlisted with a SWU for LAX-JFK-LHR and I cleared LAX-JFK at about T-28 hours and never cleared JFK-LHR. I was very annoyed at having wasted a SWU on LAX-JFK. Two days later I noticed that I still had my SWU and that I had cleared as complementary sticker upgrade, not as SWU.

So, it is indeed very possible to request Miles or SWU upgrade and have a sticker upgrade request in and the one that comes available first is what you will get. Hence no harm from requesting a C upgrade as well.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
This is exactly my experience. I was waitlisted with a SWU for LAX-JFK-LHR and I cleared LAX-JFK at about T-28 hours and never cleared JFK-LHR. I was very annoyed at having wasted a SWU on LAX-JFK. Two days later I noticed that I still had my SWU and that I had cleared as complementary sticker upgrade, not as SWU.

So, it is indeed very possible to request Miles or SWU upgrade and have a sticker upgrade request in and the one that comes available first is what you will get. Hence no harm from requesting a C upgrade as well.
Yes, exactly - and your priority on the waitlist for LAX-JFK or JFK-LHR was not negatively affected by requesting a SWU or receiving the comp upgrade.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Roll the dice on complimentary upgrade or be wait listed on $75 & co pay?

Hi FT community,

Seeking your expertise on this route as it'll be my first time from LAX-JFK. Been to JFK many times from PHX but not on a 3 class cabin.

Just booked a flight for 3/18 on AA10 getting to JFK at 5:21 am. Since I'm EP w/ rolling EQD just north of $30k not sure if i should roll the dice on the comp upgrade or pay $75 and 15000 miles to be wait listed for upgrade. I still also have SWUs to burn but saving those for the 2 HKG trips later summer/fall. Anyone ever flew AA10 and what are the chances of complimentary upgrades clearing?

Mods - Apologies if this post should be in a different thread and feel free to move. Thanks all!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by A651346
Hi FT community,

Seeking your expertise on this route as it'll be my first time from LAX-JFK. Been to JFK many times from PHX but not on a 3 class cabin.

Just booked a flight for 3/18 on AA10 getting to JFK at 5:21 am. Since I'm EP w/ rolling EQD just north of $30k not sure if i should roll the dice on the comp upgrade or pay $75 and 15000 miles to be wait listed for upgrade. I still also have SWUs to burn but saving those for the 2 HKG trips later summer/fall. Anyone ever flew AA10 and what are the chances of complimentary upgrades clearing?

Mods - Apologies if this post should be in a different thread and feel free to move. Thanks all!
J is pretty open as of now. I'd check it every couple days and hope for a comp upgrade... but, as the 100-hour window rolls around, if C space opens and there are fewer than 7 or 8 seats left open in J (that's my threshold at least), then I'd probably confirm the C upgrade. (Also consider signing up for Business Extra if you are eligible & fly this route much -- BXP1 upgrades are a great substitute for miles/copay on this route.)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Tonight's (Saturday night redeye) SFO-JFK has had zero people on the upgrade list since the list loaded on the app at T-4. Since then, the number of open seats on the seat map has gone from four to two, presumably to LFBU buyers paying for upgrades at check-in on the kiosk. (Which are presumably $300+?) SFO Admirals Club is vacant -- fewer than 5 people around.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:53 am

Flew JFK > SFO (9pm) and was booked in discount Biz (code I). 5 min before departure, I was handed a ticket for First class. This is the first time I’ve ever been upgraded to first without SWU, and rules say they don’t upgrade to first. Anyone else had this happen?

Also, when I went up there were 2 squatters pretending they were in F class. Awkward.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ryan DeVoe
Flew JFK > SFO (9pm) and was booked in discount Biz (code I). 5 min before departure, I was handed a ticket for First class. This is the first time I’ve ever been upgraded to first without SWU, and rules say they don’t upgrade to first. Anyone else had this happen?

Also, when I went up there were 2 squatters pretending they were in F class. Awkward.
AA does cabin roll people for operational reasons. If J was oversold, they will upgrade paid J customers to F. Another possibility is your seat was inop, so that resulted in an upgrade as well.

the rules about not upgrading is in regular operations. They wont roll people to F in order to open seats in J for upgrades etc.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Ryan DeVoe

Yes, this has happened to me a handful of times. Likely that J or Y was oversold and you were one of the lucky ones that got cabin-rolled into F.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Apologies I'm a bit of a newbie on AA. I'm booked in J on a LAX-JFK. Don't have status with AA (i'm a BA bronze which makes me I believe OW emerald),
do they offer any discount upgrade maybe at checkin? either online, or at the counter? Before check-in time, is there any way to upgrade, besides clicking on "change flight" and recalculating the fare?

thank you
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by hyperspace
Apologies I'm a bit of a newbie on AA. I'm booked in J on a LAX-JFK. Don't have status with AA (i'm a BA bronze which makes me I believe OW emerald),
do they offer any discount upgrade maybe at checkin? either online, or at the counter? Before check-in time, is there any way to upgrade, besides clicking on "change flight" and recalculating the fare?

thank you
BA Bronze makes you OW ruby (bottom tier) not emerald (top tier).

I have never seen any reports of an online or kiosk offer for J to F on this route. That said, it is usually quite easy to upgrade from J to F with $175 + 15,000 miles (see mileage upgrades: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp). The $175 co-pay does not apply if you're actually in full "J" (as opposed to discounted business booked into I, D, or R; of course, if you're in full J, odds are that discounted first class -- "A" class -- will cost the same or less as your current ticket). You can use ExpertFlyer to search for "A" availability, which is also the inventory that needs to be available in order to upgrade from J to F. If you don't have the 15,000 miles, you can buy them for $477.50 from AA, so ~$650 for the upgrade.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
BA Bronze makes you OW ruby (bottom tier) not emerald (top tier).

I have never seen any reports of an online or kiosk offer for J to F on this route. That said, it is usually quite easy to upgrade from J to F with $175 + 15,000 miles (see mileage upgrades: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp). The $175 co-pay does not apply if you're actually in full "J" (as opposed to discounted business booked into I, D, or R; of course, if you're in full J, odds are that discounted first class -- "A" class -- will cost the same or less as your current ticket). You can use ExpertFlyer to search for "A" availability, which is also the inventory that needs to be available in order to upgrade from J to F. If you don't have the 15,000 miles, you can buy them for $477.50 from AA, so ~$650 for the upgrade.
thank you very much for the clarification and the information.
once I purchase miles, can I proceed for the upgrade online from the reservation? Or has to be done via phone? Thank you
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by hyperspace

thank you very much for the clarification and the information.
once I purchase miles, can I proceed for the upgrade online from the reservation? Or has to be done via phone? Thank you
You'll need to call to use miles...but please don't! $650 o/w for an upgrade from J to F on this flight is an abysmal value proposition.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.