Wiki Posts
Search

Potentially stranded in LHR for a night

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Potentially stranded in LHR for a night

I am flying with my wife to Athens in August from DCA. We are fully vaccinated. Instead of coming straight back from Athens, I, like an idiot, booked us on BA from Athens to Heathrow as part of the AA reservation so that we could spend one day in London and come back on August 16. I booked this trip last last year figuring that Covid would not last forever. I also booked a great business fare so I really do not have any option with regard t changing my itinerary. I am very concerned that I am going to have to spend a night sleeping in Heathrow Airport inside passport control. Otherwise, we are going to be quarantined in London. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight on what I can do?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pkr529
I am flying with my wife to Athens in August from DCA. We are fully vaccinated. Instead of coming straight back from Athens, I, like an idiot, booked us on BA from Athens to Heathrow as part of the AA reservation so that we could spend one day in London and come back on August 16. I booked this trip last last year figuring that Covid would not last forever. I also booked a great business fare so I really do not have any option with regard t changing my itinerary. I am very concerned that I am going to have to spend a night sleeping in Heathrow Airport inside passport control. Otherwise, we are going to be quarantined in London. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight on what I can do?
What is the connection time between the arrival from ATH and the departure to the US?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:19 pm

There is no problem entering the UK for vaccinated Americans. You might not be able to go out aside from getting to your hotel, but it's perfectly allowed to enter and sleep in a hotel for the night, as long as you haven't been in a red list country in the last 14 days.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
First off, you can’t stay overnight airside at LHR T5 which is where BA (and for now AA) are operating.
Second you can enter the UK and stay at a Heathrow area hotel and return to the airport the next day for your flight to the US. See the following threads in the coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2016518-uk-arrivals-requirements-pre-departure-test-quarantine-post-arrival-tests-618.html
Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]
JJeffrey and ESpen36 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. I would probably stay at the Hilton in Terminal 4. I arrive at LHR at 11:55 am on August 15 and have my AA flight to Boston at 9:15 am on August 16.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA
I just flew JMK-CLT via LHR and had an overnight layover.

It's no big deal at all - matter of fact - neither BA or UK immigration authorities ever even checked my negative covid test result. Pretty crazy for such an alleged strict lockdown.

I booked a nearby hotel on booking.com. Then took a taxi there and back the next morning.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you so much for the information. I would probably stay at the Hilton in Terminal 4. I arrive at LHR at 11:55 am on August 15 and have my AA flight to Boston at 9:15 am on August 16.
Also as a suggestion (as I just stayed here one week ago) is the Hilton Garden Inn right next to the Hatton Cross tube stop. Exit T5 and take the elevator down to the bottom and board the tube for a quick 2 stops to Hatton Cross. Exit and turn left. It's a nice property with a good bar and restaurant and The Green Man pub down the road. Ooops I didn't say that.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Until August 16, there would be at least two updates on the green/amber/red lists of the UK so both the USA and Greece might end up in the green list at some point.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Please don't 'probably' stay anywhere!

A lot of LHR hotels are either closed or being used as quarentine hotels (so not available for general booking anyway) so check carefully which of your prefereed hotels are open (or not)

Also you won't be 'stranded' as there are exemptions from testing for some transit passengers even if they have to go airside.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Please don't 'probably' stay anywhere!

A lot of LHR hotels are either closed or being used as quarentine hotels (so not available for general booking anyway) so check carefully which of your prefereed hotels are open (or not)

Also you won't be 'stranded' as there are exemptions from testing for some transit passengers even if they have to go airside.
The Hilton London Heathrow (T4) is open (and has been for awhile) although getting to it isn't as easy as it normally is; it also just completed a renovation of the common areas. The HGI mentioned above is also open and a easily accessible choice.
Hilton London Heathrow Airport (at terminal 4) {GBR}
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Terminal 2 { GBR }
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

In fact, we have a reservation for the Hilton in Terminal 4.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

To close the loop on this, I contacted the Hilton at Terminal 4 and was advised that it will be no problem staying there as long as we self-isolate in our room. Hopefully, Boris will open London up to US vaccinated persons by the time we get there.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
FYI—even if you got a good fare, you can usually change the return leg of a roundtrip flight without paying a fare difference as long as your same fare class is available on the new flights.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To close the loop on this, I contacted the Hilton at Terminal 4 and was advised that it will be no problem staying there as long as we self-isolate in our room. Hopefully, Boris will open London up to US vaccinated persons by the time we get there.
I don't see the need to contact any hotel and ask questions. I booked my room on my hilton app. I never spoke or conversed with a hotel employee once. For all they knew I lived down the road and just wanted a night out.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Let me see if I have this correct.

I've got a potential-unavoidable trip to Africa in December that would require overnight connection in London or Doha. For now let's assume London.

I have to fill out a transit form and be covid tested prior to departure each direction. But on the return I don't have to be retested in England if I keep moving and am on a transit exception?

I can go landside to a hotel, but I can only stay in the general vicinity of Heathrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.