Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by VSLover
someone mentioned on another thread the request to have the agent phone revenue mgmt desk for some change (cannot recall if it were for an award ticket or other change) and the agent nicely responded they were basically prohibited from doing so anymore.

lovely changes for the top tier of loyal flyers!
That was probably me!

I have a business class milesaaver ticket booked on RJ from ORD-AMM this summer and couldn't find a nonstop from DFW-ORD for my departure date (only connections). So currently, I have a connecting flight DFW-XXX-ORD in first as part of this saaver award.

I asked the EXP agent to ask for a voluntary downgrade to get DFW-ORD as a nonstop and was told flat-out "We are not allowed to ask anymore."
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Phasers
I asked the EXP agent to ask for a voluntary downgrade to get DFW-ORD as a nonstop and was told flat-out "We are not allowed to ask anymore."
Are you saying that there was T availability but they wouldn't give you a voluntary downgrade? If that's the case they may need to call the rate desk if it doesn't automatically price as a single award, but they shouldn't need to call RM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by beerup
Are you saying that there was T availability but they wouldn't give you a voluntary downgrade? If that's the case they may need to call the rate desk if it doesn't automatically price as a single award, but they shouldn't need to call RM.
There was no T or Z nonstop available, only Z with connections. I asked for a voluntary downgrade to a nonstop T and they said they were not even allowed to ask RM to open up a seat anymore.

Looks like I am flying in F, although taking the scenic route to ORD.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers
There was no T or Z nonstop available, only Z with connections. I asked for a voluntary downgrade to a nonstop T and they said they were not even allowed to ask RM to open up a seat anymore.

Looks like I am flying in F, although taking the scenic route to ORD.
In my experience, that's been the case for some time. The EXP desk won't request (manual or automated) for inventory to be released until the week of the flight. If no award inventory opens up in the meantime and there are still seats open on the week of your flight, I think you would have more luck asking for a QMAX request at that time. Of course you should ask for Z as well as T.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:53 pm
Suspended

I'd most definitely agree that a request that's both a) several months out, and, b) for summer travel, would almost invariably never be granted regardless of if the rumor of this change has any valid or not.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Not exactly on-topic, but a data point FWIW.

Just about 3 weeks ago, my partner (EXP) was flying MIA-LGA on a paid flight and her parents were flying MIA-RDU-LGA on an award flight on the same day. Even though there was no T available on the nonstop, an EXP agent was able to put both parents on the same flight as my partner (I assume under the "completing the party" classification). This was done on the day before departure.

Of course, this incident may have pre-dated the new policy, assuming there is one.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
From what I understand:

1) QMAX is gone
2) If SAAver is not available, you now just have to go to the next award level -- Eagle rating no longer plays role
3) The only time an agent can make a manual appeal to RM now is for Upgrade awards, and for that you have to be EXP, the flight has to be inside of two weeks, and the loads need to be reasonable so that an appeal might even be considered
4) Certain flights are now overbook inhibited so agents can't overbook award inventory even if they wanted to override the system to complete the party or grab a leg on a complicated itinerary.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Not exactly on-topic, but a data point FWIW.

Just about 3 weeks ago, my partner (EXP) was flying MIA-LGA on a paid flight and her parents were flying MIA-RDU-LGA on an award flight on the same day. Even though there was no T available on the nonstop, an EXP agent was able to put both parents on the same flight as my partner (I assume under the "completing the party" classification). This was done on the day before departure.

Of course, this incident may have pre-dated the new policy, assuming there is one.
Did it go through RM or could it have been expanded inventory? Expanded inventory requires the EXP is traveling on the flight and will be up to two seats.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sukn
From what I understand:

1) QMAX is gone
2) If SAAver is not available, you now just have to go to the next award level -- Eagle rating no longer plays role
3) The only time an agent can make a manual appeal to RM now is for Upgrade awards, and for that you have to be EXP, the flight has to be inside of two weeks, and the loads need to be reasonable so that an appeal might even be considered
Holy crap.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sukn
From what I understand:

1) QMAX is gone
4) Certain flights are now overbook inhibited so agents can't overbook award inventory even if they wanted to override the system to complete the party or grab a leg on a complicated itinerary.
For some EXPs, that's going to hurt/cost a bunch more miles (and even money perhaps). Some of the EXPs who have benefited from the (previous?) policy/practice when calling up didn't even properly and exactly recall what was being done for them, but it was enormously useful for those of us that have used it and had known about it.

For some years now, the trend seemed to be that the RM favors were harder to come by, and I had largely given up even asking. This seems to be a move even further in that direction, if things have moved further in that direction as anecdotal outcomes may suggest.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA AAdvantage, BAEC Silver, LX Miles & More, AF FlyingBlue, EK Skywards
We can all thank Doug Parker for this enhancement.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I was told by an agent several weeks ago they have received a directive to no longer request space but rather offer other available options. AA is becoming HPdbaAA. But then again if you called the USAIR number enough you could always fund an agent to do a manual sell/hard sell of partner award space maybe this will be no different.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depends on who ya ask. Obviously there is/was a detailed, precise workaround for special consideration as detailed in the linked thread, so obviously AA fells/felt there's a need or they wouldn't have the process.

Theres been no manual call necessary (or even allowed, really) for quite some time.
That makes sense. Of course, there are a limited # of HVC's for whom one would at least make a call and ask. But, we aren't talking about authority to overbook by one more or even to open an award seat, simply to open an award seat at a lower level. Sort of like calling when there's only Y and asking if RM will permit the sale at something less than Y.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
That makes sense. Of course, there are a limited # of HVC's for whom one would at least make a call and ask.
The QMAX system, now defunct, was not limited in the way you describe. Largely irrelevant now, but, respectfully, I'm not sure we're even taking about the same thing. I'm referring to QMAX, which we now know is no longer available to members (yes, to whatever extent it was even effective in the last couple of years.) AA does have a system of ranking/judging the profitability of members (NOT referring to Helix here) that is available to a much, much smaller group of people within AA, and I'm sure that can still be leveraged.
But as far as QMAX goes, may it R.I.P., was available to members very widely outside that group. Again, success rate being an entirely different thing.

Last edited by JonNYC; Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:40 am

The QMAX system, now defunct...
But as far as QMAX goes, may it R.I.P.
So, has it been confirmed that QMAX is no more? I saw that it was sukn's "understand[ing]".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.