Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by alchang
Has anyone had success with this at all recently? I've spoken to 4 different agents this past week that claim that this was never possible to begin with.
also curious about this. Will call reservations and try about 10 days out (near christmas) and hope for the best.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alchang
Has anyone had success with this at all recently? I've spoken to 4 different agents this past week that claim that this was never possible to begin with.
It certainly was, and, too a much, much lesser extent still is for to complete itin and to complete party. Usually only possible within days of the flight and, of course, certain members will have better results.

Originally Posted by raj49
also curious about this. Will call reservations and try about 10 days out (near christmas) and hope for the best.
More likely just a couple of days before.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Just booked an award and had to request a domestic segment be opened in Y for an intl F award (i.e. completing an itinerary).

Agent called up ticketing and they released it no problem. Nothing mentioned about requesting a seat or QMAX...might just be worth asking the agent to call RM or ticketing and request it verbally.

Ticketed itinerary is: domestic F-domestic Y (voluntary downgrade)-intl F-intl J
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Just booked an award and had to request a domestic segment be opened in Y for an intl F award (i.e. completing an itinerary).

Agent called up ticketing and they released it no problem. Nothing mentioned about requesting a seat or QMAX...might just be worth asking the agent to call RM or ticketing and request it verbally.

Ticketed itinerary is: domestic F-domestic Y (voluntary downgrade)-intl F-intl J
Interesting-- how soon is the booking?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Hello everyone,

I just want to report that still possible, I called AA EXP to request a domestic segment to be opened in F, I had on hold an USA-ASIA2 award in F/J (on JAL), an AAngel put me on hold in order to work on it and after a few minutes, he was able to complete my itinerary ^.
I didn't have to mention QMAX at all, the missing segment (MIA-JFK) was for a high season, just a few days before Christmas .
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
I made a booking for EZE-MIA-LAX on business saver award.
EZE-MIA was booked in business, MIA-LAX in coach.

I asked people on forum for advice whether to use more miles for first class, as those planes don't have new business class seats. I followed the advice and requested AA to change tickets to First Saver awards. Again, only the first segment was changed EZE to MIA.

I called and spoke to supervisor who refused to make an internal request for space release on domestic segment. He claimed it is against their policy. It is allowed only if there is a problem.

Two days ago another supervisor told me that she made a request and it came back negative and in addition she requested for a person review, which supposedly came back negative next day.

Now I don't understand whether the first supervisor did me a favor, or 2nd supervisor is providing wrong information. (((
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:38 pm

Called again - once again agents claim there is no way for them to contact RM. Why are they refusing to assist? (((
They are checking same availability that I could check myself online.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ellylex
I made a booking for EZE-MIA-LAX on business saver award.
EZE-MIA was booked in business, MIA-LAX in coach.

I asked people on forum for advice whether to use more miles for first class, as those planes don't have new business class seats. I followed the advice and requested AA to change tickets to First Saver awards. Again, only the first segment was changed EZE to MIA.

I called and spoke to supervisor who refused to make an internal request for space release on domestic segment. He claimed it is against their policy. It is allowed only if there is a problem.

Two days ago another supervisor told me that she made a request and it came back negative and in addition she requested for a person review, which supposedly came back negative next day.

Now I don't understand whether the first supervisor did me a favor, or 2nd supervisor is providing wrong information. (((
Was the request for F on the EZE-MIA segment, or were you able to change that one and so you were requesting that MIA-LAX F be opened up for you? Because requesting that EZE-MIA F be opened up is a completely different thing from asking that MIA-LAX F be opened up to complete your already confirmed EZE-MIA itinerary.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by hartlogan
Was the request for F on the EZE-MIA segment, or were you able to change that one and so you were requesting that MIA-LAX F be opened up for you? Because requesting that EZE-MIA F be opened up is a completely different thing from asking that MIA-LAX F be opened up to complete your already confirmed EZE-MIA itinerary.
I was requesting the domestic segment MIA-LAX.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Hello everyone,

I just want to report that still possible, I called AA EXP to request a domestic segment to be opened in F, I had on hold an USA-ASIA2 award in F/J (on JAL), an AAngel put me on hold in order to work on it and after a few minutes, he was able to complete my itinerary ^.
I didn't have to mention QMAX at all, the missing segment (MIA-JFK) was for a high season, just a few days before Christmas .
That's interesting. I asked the PLT desk for space on an MHT-PHL feeder to Europe to complete an itinerary and was told they can't make a request unless there are truly zero options. Well my option is a 10 hour layover all day in PHL. It's too bad this feature has been scaled back, because that's pretty close to zero for me.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I am holding JFK-SFO first class on 12/30 and LAX-HKG on CX on 1/1. They won't open up a segment in Y on 12/31 to get from SFO to LAX. They told the agent not to call back, to sell what she sees.

She said they could see the itinerary (I asked her to mention "complete an itinerary"). She didn't have any idea about an automated system or QMAX.

I'll try again in a couple of days.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:11 pm

Called again today about opening inventory for domestic segment in F to "complete itinerary". This time agent contacted help desk but stated that since there was 1 request already made on Feb 1 and it was denied, it can't be done anymore. I have to monitor what is available online.
Could it be true? One request and that's it?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by ellylex
Called again today about opening inventory for domestic segment in F to "complete itinerary". This time agent contacted help desk but stated that since there was 1 request already made on Feb 1 and it was denied, it can't be done anymore. I have to monitor what is available online.
Could it be true? One request and that's it?
Seems that a whole lot could have changed over the past 17 days. Try HUCA and keep doing it until you get an agent that is interested in doing their job.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Free agent
Adding a data point. Called today to attempt to open DFW-YYZ to complete an international J itinerary. Was put on hold, when she returned she said they refused to open due to their being another option, albeit one that required a 12 hour layover.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jmail1
Adding a data point. Called today to attempt to open DFW-YYZ to complete an international J itinerary. Was put on hold, when she returned she said they refused to open due to their being another option, albeit one that required a 12 hour layover.
That's the same as my case-- a 12 hour layover was considered another option. My rep wouldn't even bother making the request for me saying there have to be absolutely no other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.