Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
My experience is that much depends on how far out the flight date is, and what the loads are. RM used to be good about releasing award space to complete an itinerary or party, even 11 months out, and even on transcon. Now, JFK-LAX is quite difficult, and many flights more than 10 days away is hard. For flights within 10 days, RM has been willing to open space but rarely on the flights I want (e.g., arriving on CX or QF or EY, they won't give me space on a flight that leaves 3-4 hours after I land, but may on flights that are 7-9 hours later).
Thanks for your experience. I am just shocked AA doesn't release anything last minute even though the flight is quite empty. AA has four BOS-JFK flights daily and typically only the earliest one has saver award space.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mediator
... I am just shocked AA doesn't release anything last minute even though the flight is quite empty.
That is most definitely the reality-- they do not.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Success but

That is most definitely the reality-- they do not.
HUACA works! Tried another agent, able to request a Y seat (T class) for AA1096 through RM. This saves me at least 6 hours of additional connecting flights. Still, I'd hope AA operates more BOS-JFK AND release more award spaces.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Had another recent experience with this (and a couple of denied requests in the past as well).

On an award ticket JFK-SFO-asia, there were no T/U/Z class at all on any of the nonstop JFK-SFO routes on the day that I needed, even with F7 A7...J7...Y7 Q7 S7 O7 on all flights. I said I was willing to voluntary downgrade all the way to coach. Requested QMax, agent did some typing, and said no. I was also told that most of these QMax requests are denied (???). I had a super inconvenient 6am JFK-PHX-SFO-asia ticketed in the meantime. Waited until exactly a week before departure, when virtually every single JFK-SFO flight on the A321T had Z class. Changed to that no problem.

Points to be learned:

1) QMax requests don't always work. I am traveling with a companion, and completing a trip/completing a party with confirmed award space on the tpac flight doesn't seem to have influence on the request itself. But then again, these were never a guarantee to begin with so I guess this point is pointless..

2) JFK-LAX/SFO will have a huge amount of F award space available around 7 days before departure. 7 days seems to be a good rule for now, at least for this route.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by incognitoMD
JFK-LAX/SFO will have a huge amount of F award space available around 7 days before departure. 7 days seems to be a good rule for now, at least for this route.
Part of the reason could be that AA imposes a $75 award processing fee (online as well) for ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure (waived for EXP, PLT, GLD using miles from their account).
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mediator
HUACA works! Tried another agent, able to request a Y seat (T class) for AA1096 through RM. This saves me at least 6 hours of additional connecting flights.
Are you saying the request was approved and you're now confirmed on the flight?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:50 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Apr 17, 2015 at 7:47 pm Reason: Deleted
Old May 12, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if there's a QMAX opportunity for award availability on US-operated flights? I was told "no" by an AA agent today, but I have no idea if that is actually correct information.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Currently booked ORD-DFW-DOH-MLE on AA/QR in F. Just saw the Guest Seats just opened up on LHR-AUH on EY and called to try to change booking to ORD-LHR-AUH-MLE. Better schedule, more direct and a chance to be in The Apartment. AAgent could get the EY space but said only (1) Z seat available ORD-LHR. Asked if she could request the additional Z space through Revenue Management and was told to just keep checking. As our dates are pretty locked in, is there any other way I could make this request?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Try asking for a "to complete party " or "to complete itinerary" request-- but I'd say very little hope, unfortunately.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Was just denied even making a QMAX request for LAX-LAS on an itinerary that is currently DAC-HKG-LAX.

"they don't even look at them anymore"
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWFI
Was just denied even making a QMAX request for LAX-LAS on an itinerary that is currently DAC-HKG-LAX.

"they don't even look at them anymore"
How many days out?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
How many days out?
For travel on 8/8 - so 13 days.

As a side note the flight I want is available for cash for $69
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:05 pm

Was denied for ORD-MCI segment on an international itinerary...
said this is getting phased out.

But...Twitter support said it could be done if I called reservations....
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Has anyone had success with this at all recently? I've spoken to 4 different agents this past week that claim that this was never possible to begin with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.