Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
Sounds like manual processing to allow a NA stopover on a ticket issued whe it was still allowed but needing to be reissued after it stop being allowed.
I'd agree and/or observe that the scenario described I'd say is "above and beyond" regular RM/qmax request, IMO.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:40 am

More anecdotal evidence, take it for what it is worth. (albeit not in T, so not a test case of the latest understanding)
I booked a U ORY-MAD-BOS-ORD this morning. BOS-ORD had no Z availability. I called exp, they found the IB flights, and I asked about help for the BOS-ORD.

I mentioned I heard QMAX was gone and she said well a lot of that has been stripped but they can do something if it was due to their fault or schedule change or something like that.

She didn't put me on hold but did begin frantic typying for maybe 90 seconds and said she was able to get Z BOS-ORD. When I asked how she did that, whether it was RM or QMAX or EXP Expanded Availability, she replied "I just did it."

Based on the time and amount of typing, I assume it wasn't EXP Expanded Availability. Based on Jon's latest understanding above, U/Z should be able to use QMAX to complete inventory (well it wasn't barred since it wasn't T). So, something good is still there, not sure what though.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended

Many moons later, confirmation from AA that their original confirmation was a mistake:
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...how-available/
Old May 28, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Yet another honing-in on what changed:
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...how-available/

Comports with what I was told when this thing first came out; TCP and TCI only for these requests now.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
If I have a flight from FRA-PHL on US Airway, but I need PHL-ORD, is there any chance I can get them to open one up for me. The flight is in early July.

Just an FYI, I am AA gold.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

slight clarification:

• Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC
The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.
The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 5, 2014 at 3:20 am
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
Suspended

A fellow EP reports that he's had 2 recent successes requesting TCI Qmax inventory openings.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I can confirm that an EXP AAgent was able to release a Z seat for my wife on a domestic flight portion of an international itinerary due to a schedule change (originally had a 2 hour D-I connection which was switched to 45 minutes due to schedule change). She is PLT, flights were booked with my (EXP) miles, EF showed Z0, and expanded EXP inventory was not available initially. This comports with the clarification described above.

However, I see that in the clarification, it says "includes Z/U/T inventories". What about C or A (for upgrade)? Are they restricted to the scenarios described (TCI/TCP/etc), or can they be used 'at will', such as when close to departure?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I get repeated denials about the ability to QMAX for TCP or TCI from multiple exp agents, even after I read them the note. One actually put me on hold for ten minutes to check and came back with a reaffirmed "cannot".
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Is it even worth trying to get a seat released as a PLT? Wife and I have two HKG-ORD J tix on hold, and I snagged two F seats to OKC, but with a 10 hour layover at ORD. There's an earlier flight with one F seat avail, not 2. I'll probably go ahead and ticket this anyway since I was lucky enough to get the two CX J seats, but we'd sure as heck rather not spend 10h at ORD on our way home. Other option would be if the later CX flight to ORD opens up, but it's F0C0 right now (awards-wise).
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Is it even worth trying to get a seat released as a PLT? Wife and I have two HKG-ORD J tix on hold, and I snagged two F seats to OKC, but with a 10 hour layover at ORD. There's an earlier flight with one F seat avail, not 2. I'll probably go ahead and ticket this anyway since I was lucky enough to get the two CX J seats, but we'd sure as heck rather not spend 10h at ORD on our way home. Other option would be if the later CX flight to ORD opens up, but it's F0C0 right now (awards-wise).
I'd book it, keep monitoring the earlier flight for F availability (free change if it opens up), and if not, attempt to standby at ORD.

Or have a free day to explore Chicago.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread title and wiki updated.

Any signed in member with 90 days and 90 posts can update the wiki.

Members can use the "Alert a moderator to this post button" to request a thread title change.

Both / either of these actions can help clarify a thread's contents and diminish errata for members.

/Moderator
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
In the past few days I've had EXP agents tell me they can no longer request RM release MileSAAver inventory to complete a party or to complete an itinerary, that they can only request for schedule changes now. However, other EXP agents were able to do so, including both the automated tool and the appeals queue. As usual, YMMV.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Wanted to add a datapoint:

Successfully obtained two different JFK-LAX F MileSAAver (Z) seats via QMAX requests in the past week. Both were made by the EXP desk to complete separate award itineraries and I received absolutely no push back when making the QMAX request. The first request took about a day to show up in the itinerary, and the second request cleared in a matter of hours (under 4hrs). Obviously, YMMV but I've seen no difference in successful requests this year compared to past years (although the actual amount of SAAver availability on this route is the lowest I've seen in years for flights that are wide open).

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Wanted to add a datapoint:

Successfully obtained two different JFK-LAX F MileSAAver (Z) seats via QMAX requests in the past week. Both were made by the EXP desk to complete separate award itineraries and I received absolutely no push back when making the QMAX request. The first request took about a day to show up in the itinerary, and the second request cleared in a matter of hours (under 4hrs). Obviously, YMMV but I've seen no difference in successful requests this year compared to past years (although the actual amount of SAAver availability on this route is the lowest I've seen in years for flights that are wide open).
Awesome, thanks for the real-life report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.