Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you fly AA or US internationally to GIG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD

I booked a one way with UA miles before US became oneworld for 30k BOS - CLT - GIG and was able to secure some pretty nice seats up front.

AA has release a lot of saver availability and there is a flight BOS - JFK - GIG that gets in about 45 minutes earlier, however, I don't have status and would be near the end of the plane, which isn't that big of an issue for me.

My big question is, is there a dramatic difference in service between AA & US? I know AA is nickle & diming everything, I flew them a couple of times internationally, but I have never flown US outside of my rather poor experience domestically.

Granted that everything stays the same (miles needed, flight times, etc) and that the only difference is the carrier, what does flyertalk recommend?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I JFK-GIG about 15 times a year.. There's zero difference if you're sitting in the back. If you can snag one of the main cabin extra seats on AA, that's a different story.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If the ticket is booked with UA miles, how would the AA flights even be an option?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
If the ticket is booked with UA miles, how would the AA flights even be an option?
I would cancel the US flight and rebook with AA.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA's intercontinental service and hardware varies a lot by aircraft and cabin of service. A new 77W with lie-flats in Business to London is very different from a 757 in coach MIA-BSB.

There's plenty written in the AA forum on the 763 in coach.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, UA
I would switch to the AA flight if you can grab a main cabin extra seat.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by austin_res
I would switch to the AA flight if you can grab a main cabin extra seat.
hmm.. this is odd. I am booking an award ticket and all the premium availability is not an option, not even for $$$
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 pm

That's because you can't purchase MCE seating when on award tickets....asked AA about this and was told it has to do with taxes
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:00 am

How about trying TAM. My Father and I are leaving tomorrow for GRU and we're booked on Aero Mexico to Mexico City then TAM to Sao Paulo in Economy Class. I like how TAM offers AVOD, Complimentary Alcoholic Beverages, 3 choices of meals. There product seems strong.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
How about trying TAM. My Father and I are leaving tomorrow for GRU and we're booked on Aero Mexico to Mexico City then TAM to Sao Paulo in Economy Class. I like how TAM offers AVOD, Complimentary Alcoholic Beverages, 3 choices of meals. There product seems strong.
How's their lounge?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

TAM's biz lounge in GIG is horrible. Not even worth visiting.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:19 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I would cancel the US flight and rebook with AA.
I think the question was...if you cancel the US flight that you say you booked with UA miles prior to the alliance switch, your miles will go back to UA.

That means, obviously, that you would have to either buy the AA ticket or use points from AA or an AA partner.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tacostuff
TAM's biz lounge in GIG is horrible. Not even worth visiting.
The same could be said of the AA lounge -- no good lounge options at GIG. Now that free WiFi is available throughout the terminal, the lounge isn't worth visiting.

No question that TAM has a better in-flight product than AA -- top-notch in fact -- but is far worse on the ground.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Any comparisons on US vs AA to GIG in J? I usually fly AA, but the US flight looks like it might be a bit less so I'm considering it. I have little/no experience with US J so have no idea whether it's better than, equal to or less than AA's product.

TIA
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
US J on the 762 is roughly comparable to AA J on the 763 with the old seats (not the new ones only on one plane operating JFK-ZRH-JFK). If the US plane is a 330, or the AA plane is a 77W, its also a wash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.