Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 9, 15, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Currently BA.com is showing "7 seats" in FIRST from various cities to LIM in Aug when I'm going. Really odd considering they sell Business and not First on these flights. BA errors out when trying to book anything, so I tried the EXP line as a long shot to see if they could see anything and they could not.

I think longhaul LAN is basically dead...it's quite sad.
Old Jul 2, 15, 8:01 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Right now BA is showing lots of availability for TAM, both on routes between NA and Brazil and within Brazil, but this availability cannot be seen by AA agents. I’ve tried AA both in the US and in Brazil, but the result is the same: they can’t see BA’s availability on TAM. Clicking through on the BA site does not seem to lead to an error. However, BA does show availability of first class awards on certain dates, even though TAM no longer has first class service on any route. AA’s own availability seems limited strictly to economy class and has recently been drastically reduced, so that most dates now show only anytime availability at stratospherically high rates. One AA agent told me that TAM’s classes were supposed to change on October 1st to align with oneworld and that change might be causing problems. In the past, I have successfully used BA to find TAM availability on several occasions. AA was able to see the same availability.
Old Jul 2, 15, 12:09 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

The Y & J award availability appears to be legit (but rare) and if you select it the Avios required will post. The F availability is noise and in my experience errors out when selected.

Originally Posted by ajnaro View Post
Right now BA is showing lots of availability for TAM, both on routes between NA and Brazil and within Brazil, but this availability cannot be seen by AA agents. I’ve tried AA both in the US and in Brazil, but the result is the same: they can’t see BA’s availability on TAM. Clicking through on the BA site does not seem to lead to an error. However, BA does show availability of first class awards on certain dates, even though TAM no longer has first class service on any route. AA’s own availability seems limited strictly to economy class and has recently been drastically reduced, so that most dates now show only anytime availability at stratospherically high rates. One AA agent told me that TAM’s classes were supposed to change on October 1st to align with oneworld and that change might be causing problems. In the past, I have successfully used BA to find TAM availability on several occasions. AA was able to see the same availability.
Old Jul 2, 15, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by jlars77 View Post
The Y & J award availability appears to be legit (but rare) and if you select it the Avios required will post. The F availability is noise and in my experience errors out when selected.
Just as an example, for the past few days the BA site has been listing JJ 8079 JFK-GIG on October 30 as available (without any notation such as ‘only n seats available’) in both economy and business. On other dates, such as October 27, BA lists all three classes (economy, business, first) as available. On still other dates, such as October 31st, BA lists only economy as available. AA cannot see any of this availability. The same is true for multiple other dates involving both North America – Brazil TAM flights and continuing internal Brazil connections. AA does have SAAver availability for economy on this route on the 27th, but BA doers not list it. My general conclusion is that at least far as Brazil flights are concerned, BA does accurately list availability.
Old Aug 13, 15, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro View Post
Just as an example, for the past few days the BA site has been listing JJ 8079 JFK-GIG on October 30 as available (without any notation such as ‘only n seats available’) in both economy and business. On other dates, such as October 27, BA lists all three classes (economy, business, first) as available. On still other dates, such as October 31st, BA lists only economy as available. AA cannot see any of this availability. The same is true for multiple other dates involving both North America – Brazil TAM flights and continuing internal Brazil connections. AA does have SAAver availability for economy on this route on the 27th, but BA doers not list it. My general conclusion is that at least far as Brazil flights are concerned, BA does accurately list availability.
I'm bumping into this issue as well. BA appearing to show space in J and Y on flights both wholly within Brazil (IGU-GRU) and between Brazil and the US (GRU-MIA). Calls into AA and they don't see the space, maybe just 1 seat in Y vs. 4+ in both Y and J...

Old Aug 17, 15, 7:57 am

Also experienced this issue today for GRU-MIA and GRU-JFK on JJ flights. BA shows tons of seats, posts the award amount required, but the AAgent sees no space...

Odd...
Old Aug 20, 15, 3:03 pm

Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
LA801 AKL-SYD segment

This morning, BA was showing 7 seats available in both Y and J [none were there yesterday].

AAgent booked biz seat - took 10 minutes, probably due to this being a change in an existing itinerary.

Last edited by jms_uk; Aug 21, 15 at 6:56 am
Old Sep 11, 15, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by nittany987 View Post
I'm bumping into this issue as well. BA appearing to show space in J and Y on flights both wholly within Brazil (IGU-GRU) and between Brazil and the US (GRU-MIA). Calls into AA and they don't see the space, maybe just 1 seat in Y vs. 4+ in both Y and J...

Another data point: TAM awards showing up MIA-GRU on BA website, but AA EXP desk (3 agents) all say the computer shows them as unavailable. So I booked two seats on the "unavailable" flight with Avios. I'm going to cancel those bookings, but I wanted to be sure the problem wasn't with BA. It's definitely an AA problem. I've written to AA customer relations and told the EXP agents, but is there any way to get this escalated? I'd love to be able to use my miles on TAM in accordance with the terms of the program...
Old Sep 11, 15, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
Another data point: TAM awards showing up MIA-GRU on BA website, but AA EXP desk (3 agents) all say the computer shows them as unavailable. So I booked two seats on the "unavailable" flight with Avios. I'm going to cancel those bookings, but I wanted to be sure the problem wasn't with BA. It's definitely an AA problem. I've written to AA customer relations and told the EXP agents, but is there any way to get this escalated? I'd love to be able to use my miles on TAM in accordance with the terms of the program...
Unfortunately, this problem (TAM awards using AADv miles not showing up to AA, and definitely bookable using BA, etc., miles-- especially internal Brazil flights) has been going on, intermittently, for a LONG time. I've personally given up on it getting the attention it deserves and subsequently it getting fixed after trying several times.
Old Sep 11, 15, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Unfortunately, this problem (TAM awards using AADv miles not showing up to AA, and definitely bookable using BA, etc., miles-- especially internal Brazil flights) has been going on, intermittently, for a LONG time. I've personally given up on it getting the attention it deserves and subsequently it getting fixed after trying several times.
Well, crap. If *you* can't get their attention, I'm not gonna hold my breath that they'll ever listen to me... That said, I'll report back when Adv CS responds to my inquiry.
Old Sep 11, 15, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
Well, crap. If *you* can't get their attention, I'm not gonna hold my breath that they'll ever listen to me... That said, I'll report back when Adv CS responds to my inquiry.
Ha! Thanks But, yeah, 'd encourage everyone who confronts this obvious glitch to report is as best they can. Who knows, maybe at some point "breakthrough" occurs.
Old Sep 15, 15, 1:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH Silver, IHG Gold
I'd like to join in on the conversation. I've been looking for availability on RIO-IGU on November with no luck for quite some time. I have been looking on BA, but judging by this thread it seems the same problem exists for AA (which would also work for me, but I'd rather spend 7500 Avios than 10000 AA miles!).

The problem must be linked to the new booking codes that TAM is switching to on 1st October. Until then, X is the award code, but it will switch to T. I think that the reason BA or AA can't find flights, is because the booking engines are looking for the X seats, and not T seats.

Yesterday, I've had a breakthrough - I realised that it's possible to see the Brazil internal flights through Qantas. I called BA again, and what they see is very different from what Qantas sees - and I will call AA today or tomorrow to verify what they see (if anything).

To makes things even more confusing, BA booking system makes no sense. For example, IGU-GRU-JFK is bookable on a particular day, but the IGU-GRU portion is invisible to BA (but visible to Qantas). Again, I will try to verify that with AA later.
Old Sep 17, 15, 12:02 pm

I just had the same issue. Found availability on economy and business class TAM flight MCO - GRU on Dec 19th and GRU - MIA on BA website. it seems that there are plenty available spaces on different flights throughout the day. I called aa yesterday, agent said no availability at all for any of the the flights on these two days. I then called BA today trying to verify the availability. The lady told me the same thing as the aa agent. And she said i would probably see errors if i actually try to pay for the award ticket online. After the call, i did try to make a booking on dec 19 MCO - GRU flight with economy class, it did go through!!! i dont have enough miles to try booking the business class ticket in my account at the moment - i was thinking to transfer from chase and spg. i wanted to test it to make sure i can book them before transferring points. this is so bizarre...

and now i am debating what to do - since looks like right now the only way to book the availability i am seeing is online and i cant hold the award ticket on BA... it takes time for me to get all the points i need to book the business class, i am worried that it will be gone once i get all the points due to the discrepancies between ba website, ba agent and aa agent.

or shall i wait to see if the issue will be resolved once the booking code changed for TAM according to the other post ? ideally, i still want to use the aa miles to book this reservation - 100k aa vs 150k avios for roundtrip

any thoughts are appreciated
Old Nov 10, 15, 6:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Rio to Buenos Aires Availability?

Two of us are flying MIA - GIG via TAM (AA Award) on 3/10/16. We need to be in Buenos Aires to catch a ship on the 20th. AA has the best award structure for Deep South America (10K miles) but have not been able to find availability at any level for 3/15 - 3/17. I did speak to an agent but she couldn't find anything. Does anyone see availability for this itinerary?

I also checked with Alaska and they cannot find any availability on LAN. They cannot book FF awards on TAM.

For paid flights, looks like the best option currently is Emirates, which leaves at a decent hour and has a direct 3 hour flight; cost around $315PP. It doesn't appear as though this can be booked as an award, though.
Old Nov 10, 15, 7:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pashber View Post
Two of us are flying MIA - GIG via TAM (AA Award) on 3/10/16. We need to be in Buenos Aires to catch a ship on the 20th. AA has the best award structure for Deep South America (10K miles) but have not been able to find availability at any level for 3/15 - 3/17. I did speak to an agent but she couldn't find anything. Does anyone see availability for this itinerary?

I also checked with Alaska and they cannot find any availability on LAN. They cannot book FF awards on TAM.

For paid flights, looks like the best option currently is Emirates, which leaves at a decent hour and has a direct 3 hour flight; cost around $315PP. It doesn't appear as though this can be booked as an award, though.
You will most likely have to connect in GRU. There have been reports of problems with AA seeing space on TAM, but BA is showing space on JJ GIG-GRU, and then LA GRU-EZE. QR also flies GRU-EZE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: