Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Old Jan 17, 15, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
... Is there anyplace online where these bizarre AA routing rules for awards are documented?
They've been posted many times here and on Travelingbetter and then from both of those sources have shown up in various wikis and blogs, etc.

Even all these years later, **some** of the info in my regional FT thread on 3rd region connections is still accurate:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-archived.html

But as I mentioned it's showed up many places since, with revisions in some cases. But, again, 3rd region connections have barely changed at all since then (Addition of QR-QR connections and a few other changes.)

Here's a TB thread with latest info:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5804

And here are the allowable 3rd region connections:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/

That said, the issue of the direct flight/one flight # you bring up is not as clearly discerned as disallowed anywhere in these various places.

And, in fact, does -not- trigger 2 awards in some other examples. As an example, N.America-> S.Pacifc does not have an exception for connection in middle east listed in the table. Yet, you can in fact do that on the direct flight QF10 for example which flies LHR-DXB-MEL, as a single AAdv award.

And THAT having been said, I don't, off-hand- recall anyone reporting successful connection in LIM on way to deep S.America from N.America regardless of the single flight LAN flight #.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 17, 15 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 18, 15, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by millionmiler View Post
What the agent told you was correct. If you connect or fly on a direct flight to deep South America via northern South America it counts as two awards, thus the higher number of miles. I'm sure that many of us don't like that rule but its the rule never the less.
What's especially irksome is that the most basic rule is that the most direct connection is supposed to be used. And if you're flying LAX-EZE, LIM is a more direct connection than MIA, JFK, or even DFW! It's practically a straight line on the map LAX-LIM-EZE!

AA has been too east-of-the-Rockies centered in their rules, in ways that don't make sense for those on west coast (another example being India, as if from LAX India is closer flying east than west). And that all seems to predate LAX being declared a "cornerstone" (which, btw, I presume is a term vanishing with the merger?)

How much do the AA routing rules jive with US routing rules, and if they don't, will AA routing rules "win", or will they mix the AA and US routing rules somehow?
Old Jan 18, 15, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
...How much do the AA routing rules jive with US routing rules, and if they don't, will AA routing rules "win", or will they mix the AA and US routing rules somehow?
At this point, it's pretty safe to assume will be AAdv's current rules that apply going forward, although, with the hope (and not an insignificant one) that some common-sense improvements would be integrated at the same time, something I do personally expect.
Old Jan 23, 15, 10:25 am

I got an eze-lax flight on lan connecting in lim for 50k in business
Old Jan 23, 15, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
...That said, the issue of the direct flight/one flight # you bring up is not as clearly discerned as disallowed anywhere in these various places.

And, in fact, does -not- trigger 2 awards in some other examples. As an example, N.America-> S.Pacifc does not have an exception for connection in middle east listed in the table. Yet, you can in fact do that on the direct flight QF10 for example which flies LHR-DXB-MEL, as a single AAdv award.

And THAT having been said, I don't, off-hand- recall anyone reporting successful connection in LIM on way to deep S.America from N.America regardless of the single flight LAN flight #.
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
I got an eze-lax flight on lan connecting in lim for 50k in business
Very good to know!
Old Jan 23, 15, 11:42 am

Booking LAN and TAM flights using AA miles

to clarify, it's actually eze-scl-lim-lax-sfo
Old Jan 23, 15, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Brutal number of stops and total flights but I suppose that's still fewer miles flown than EZE - DFW - SFO and EZE - MIA - SFO.
Old Jan 23, 15, 12:13 pm

Great to hear!
Old Jan 24, 15, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, so could that be because AA only counts SCL as the connection, if it's the same plane SCL-LIM-LAX? The LA 2604/2605 LAX-LIM-EZE and EZE-LIM-LAX flights apparently change planes in LIM, which is why AA considers it a connection, despite the singe flight number, and invalidates 50k redemption for it.

(EZE-SCL-LIM-LAX was not showing as available on the date I was flying in that direction, only EZE-LIM-LAX on the single flight number, which is why they wouldn't price it at 50k for me.)
Old Jan 28, 15, 9:56 am
Community Director

I've been familiarizing myself with award availability LAX-EZE for late Dec 2015 for the past week. sdsearch posted in the LAN forum that LAN opens up award seats on the furthest available date for booking. Sure enough, on a rolling day basis, I see 4 biz and 7 coach seats available for the LAN LAX-EZE flight. The next day they would be gone and a new day's award seats would be open. I never saw LAN award seats on AA.com. I only saw them on BA.com. Fortunately I have BA points. I was able to book the LAN flight in biz for 60K points + $5.60.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 28, 15 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 28, 15, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've been familiarizing myself with award availability LAX-EZE for late Dec 2015 for the past week. sdsearch posted in the LAN forum that LAN opens up award seats on the furthest available date for booking. Sure enough, on a rolling day basis, I see 4 biz and 7 coach seats available for the LAN LAX-EZE flight. The next day they would be gone and a new day's award seats would be open. I never saw LAN award seats on AA.com. I only saw them on BA.com. Fortunately I have BA points. I was able to book the LAN flight in biz for 60K points + $5.60.
You will not see LAN award flights on aa.com, as aa.com does not support award booking on LAN (or CX, JL, QR, EY, 9W, etc.) If you found LAN award space on ba.com, then you should have been able to book it with AA miles by calling AA (assuming no IT issues).
Old Mar 14, 15, 5:19 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Having issues booking LAN (Arg) award flights using AAdv

I go to BA site and see lots of availability on 10/20 AEP-MDZ (one way) on:

LA4240
LA4288
LA4248
LA4252

Each of the above showing 7 seats available (on BA site).

When I call AAdv, the agent spent forever (doing not sure what - after refusing to take my airport codes and insisting on city names) - only to come back and tell me there is no availability - either direct or connecting..

If BA site shows availability shouldn't AAdv also have access?

Is this just an incompetent agent - and I should just call back and try another one?
Old Mar 14, 15, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alect View Post

Is this just an incompetent agent - and I should just call back and try another one?
I'd say that would be a good first step.

That said, all the flights you list are showing up on EF as codeshares (or some other arrangement):
LA (**) 4252
OPERATED BY LANARGENTINA
So I expect that possibly is a/the issue -and- that that might either be fatal to booking them through AA -or- will require an AAgent who knows how to do so (again, if possible.)
Old Mar 21, 15, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
I'd say that would be a good first step.

That said, all the flights you list are showing up on EF as codeshares (or some other arrangement):

So I expect that possibly is a/the issue -and- that that might either be fatal to booking them through AA -or- will require an AAgent who knows how to do so (again, if possible.)
Hunch was right - called back - another agent who was willing to take exact details (date, airport codes, flight #) and saw the availability and booked me in for 6k +$4 taxes - initially mentioned $40 booking fee - but I mentioned that should be waived due to policy and not being able to book online - the fee was omitted!!

Good results. Now if only I could find any availability for FTE and IGR
Old Apr 30, 15, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by alect View Post
Hunch was right - called back - another agent who was willing to take exact details (date, airport codes, flight #) and saw the availability and booked me in for 6k +$4 taxes - initially mentioned $40 booking fee - but I mentioned that should be waived due to policy and not being able to book online - the fee was omitted!!

Good results. Now if only I could find any availability for FTE and IGR
Hanging up and calling again usually does the trick!

I've been having hard time finding availability to USH also. Doesn't help that BA's site doesn't even recognize the airport code!

Search this Thread