Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 17, 14, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
I tend to agree that at least at first glance, this looks like an outage of LAN award inventory. Checking dates like christmas day and new years eve and seeing no awards into LIM or SCL from JFK-- and just jumping around generally, see no awards on BA.com

So, to my eye, looks like an outage.
For whatever it's worth, intra-LatAM awards on LAN were showing on BA.com yesterday and today, and I did successfully book one a couple hours ago.
Old Dec 17, 14, 5:26 pm

I don't know if this is related but on BA's website it shows this when you go to check award availability "Sorry, the map to check flight prices and availability is not working at the moment."

hmmmm
Old Dec 24, 14, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I cannot see ANY US-South America flights on BA's site in coach or business. A few weeks ago business wasn't available at all except 330 days out but coach had 7+ seats on most days. Now can't see a single seat from the US. Funny thing is I can see short flights like LIM-CUZ so this makes me think something more sinister is going on.
Old Dec 24, 14, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by nall View Post
For whatever it's worth, intra-LatAM awards on LAN were showing on BA.com yesterday and today, and I did successfully book one a couple hours ago.
+1 I saw SCL - IPC last night but couldn't see any US - South America for SCL/GIG/EZE/LIM. I didn't search any other sectors.
Old Dec 24, 14, 6:45 pm
Suspended

I've been keeping an eye out for any internal notification that they are aware of this outage (and then if there's a time-frame for fix) but so far see nothing. Although the time of year, I think I'd be surprised if there was any action on that front, realistically.
Old Dec 27, 14, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
LAN awards don't exist

Are there any meaningful updates on this? Has Aa liaison with LAN given clues to callers on this issue? Trying to get any LAN award ticket in Business from either JFK or MIA and nothing is available all year.
Old Dec 28, 14, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Are there any meaningful updates on this? Has Aa liaison with LAN given clues to callers on this issue? Trying to get any LAN award ticket in Business from either JFK or MIA and nothing is available all year.
They don't exist on BA either though, not even coach. Recently it went from 7 seats on almost all flights in coach in August and now zero.

Either it's a glitch or LAN decided it doesn't want to release award seats to partners anymore.
Old Dec 28, 14, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
December is not a month where I'd expect to see any progress on this type of issue, so/and, no update has been given to AA agents to this date. Hopefully (but by NO means definitely) January will be different, I've passed this along through as many channels as I could think of and I'm sure others have as well.
Old Dec 28, 14, 11:59 am

Another quick data point while booking flights for family:

1. Was not able to snag SCL - IPC for the dates I wanted. Availability disappeared from BA.com

2. Was able to grab MIA - SCL in LA J.

3. Still not able to pull up any 4M (LAN Argentina) flights on BA.com or via AAgents.

4. SCL - EZE availability on BA.com changes literally in front of one's eyes - I searched 5 minutes ago and found 5 flights with availability (4-7 seats each) now down to 2 flights with 7 seats each.
Old Dec 29, 14, 5:06 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Also, note that if you can find SAAver award space on the AEP-FTE route, the award should qualify for the special "wholly within Argentina" redemption rate of only 6,000 AA miles one way. @:-)
found my own answer ignore

Last edited by alect; Dec 29, 14 at 5:12 pm
Old Dec 30, 14, 10:00 am

Has anyone actually been able to book 4M intra-Argentina awards on AA miles? I can only see 4M availability at the lowest level on lan.com but cannot find it on BA or QF.
Old Dec 30, 14, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing View Post
Has anyone actually been able to book 4M intra-Argentina awards on AA miles? I can only see 4M availability at the lowest level on lan.com but cannot find it on BA or QF.
What's an example of a city pair you've been looking at?
Old Dec 30, 14, 1:59 pm

Mainly looking for AEP - BRC - FTE - AEP. (I realize BRC - FTE may have to be on AR metal as that isn't flown nonstop by 4M) so AEP - BRC and FTE - AEP.

After many attempts, I was somehow able to type "AEP" right into the from field on BA.com (wasn't able to get BRC and FTE to show up on QF). I managed to find AEP - BRC - AEP but cannot find any availability on AEP - FTE - AEP.

I can't actually find any AEP - FTE on LAN Pass for the entire year at the lowest level so perhaps that leg is just not possible.

Also, SCL - IPC shows up on LA site with multiple dates in lowest ams availability but doesn't show up on BA or QF.

Last edited by smilinganddialing; Dec 30, 14 at 2:12 pm Reason: Deleted question already answered
Old Dec 30, 14, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I saw this thread but started another specific one for myself in the LAN forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-l...ghts-help.html).

Looking for the following award segments using AAdv

SCL-EZE
EZE-IGR-EZE
EZE-FTE
FTE-MDZ (either via AEP or COR)
Old Dec 30, 14, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alect View Post
I saw this thread but started another specific one for myself in the LAN forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-l...ghts-help.html).

Looking for the following award segments using AAdv

SCL-EZE
EZE-IGR-EZE
EZE-FTE
FTE-MDZ (either via AEP or COR)
A *LONG* time ago, there was this limit on Lan Argentina flights:

Award travel is valid only to/from the cities listed below.

Buenos Aires EZE/AEP
Como Rivadavia CRD
Cordoba COR
El Calafate FTE
Iguazu IGR
Mendoza MDZ
Rio Gallegos RGL
San Carlos de Bariloche BRC
BUT AGAIN, that's OLD.

Presently, I see this, which clearly is not relevant-- unless there's something screwy in the system:

LAN charter flights (series 4950-4999) are not valid for award redemption and are suppressed from Direct Access. Example - SCL to/from Ushuaia (USH), Argentina are chartered by LAN and not valid for redemption. However, other flights to/from USH are valid and will reflect in Direct Access. Example - AEP to/from USH.
Only other thing I see from present reference is:
Any flights operated by AIRES is not eligible for accrual or redemption.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: