Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:01 am

Anyone book LAN longhaul J recently? There are a lot of days where BA shows 7 seats available between LIM JFK, but AA doesn't see anything.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Anyone book LAN longhaul J recently? There are a lot of days where BA shows 7 seats available between LIM JFK, but AA doesn't see anything.
Are you talking one-way? Are you sure the BA site can book it? The AA site shows plenty of flights form several carriers which are "phantom" (unbookable if you try to actually book them).

Rumor is that LAN flights have to be two-segments (officially round trip or at least a connection) to be bookable.

There are concepts such as "married" flights (at other airlines) that are similar; ie,, a flight is available for an award but only in combination with another flight, not separately.

Did you check any other OW sites to see if they all see what BA shows? (You can check both BA and QF search results for the same search through www.expertflyer.com, which is free to join for FlyerTalk members, just click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button.) And I find it suspicious if only BA returns something but QF can't see it (or vice versa).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:35 pm

How to search Aadvantage award on LATAM?

How can I search for a domestic Chile award seat on LATAM, specifically SCL-CJC (Santiago to Calama). We are going to Atacama and the LATAM tickets are pricey. I called AA and they didn't show any availability. I for searched
SCL-CJC flights on expertflyer using AA, BA and QF as the airline but with flights shown. How can I set an alert for an award seat on expertflyer?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Diamond
This doesn't respond to you question but just a data point for those interested in LATAM tickets. I booked 4 Lan tickets using AA miles last week for Feb 2018. I found them on the BA site and then called American to book. 30,000 each one (one-way) MCO-SCL.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lotusfla
How can I search for a domestic Chile award seat on LATAM, specifically SCL-CJC (Santiago to Calama). We are going to Atacama and the LATAM tickets are pricey. I called AA and they didn't show any availability. I for searched
SCL-CJC flights on expertflyer using AA, BA and QF as the airline but with flights shown. How can I set an alert for an award seat on expertflyer?
If flights are not shown there might not be availability. But a tip (if you didn't know already) for purchasing domestic Chile tickets -- use the Chile Spanish website. There are POS restrictions on the cheaper buckets, and no residency requirements (as of July 2017). It will save a good chunk off these domestic tickets
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by jimmielin

... It will save a good chunk off these domestic tickets
This is good advice! I am a resident of Brazil, but have used tickets bought on the Chile site without problem. I have a Chile kilometer LANPASS account and receive e-mail notice of promotions from LAN regularly. Just yesterday (30 Aug 2017) they sent me notice of a 3 hour sale of Santiago-Calama-Santiago tickets for around the equivalent of USD $40. Just open lan.com and on the top line the first entry should be the country where you are located physically. Click on it and a series of flags will appear. Click on the Chilean flag and you are set to go.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:50 pm

Anyone book USA-Chile-USA in Y recently? I'm looking at dates in January, and seeing nothing via AA or BA.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Honors Plata, Avis PFD
I just booked a Feb SAN-MEX-LIM-ASU. Alaska to Mexico City, LATAM the rest of the way.

There was little availability to SA on AA. LATAM had a few things out of MIA and MCO but Mexico City had a decent amount of availablity.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone booked an AA (or other partner) ticketed award on LATAM and had that flight cancelled in advance? If so, did LA/JJ (not AA) auto-rebook you onto new LA/JJ flights that previously did not have award inventory?

The reason I ask is that I have four pax on three tickets (two issued by CX, one by AA) for LA's IAD-LIM flight, which has recently been zeroed out in all classes, presumably in anticipation of a cancellation. While I know I can work with AA to force open award space on AA or LA (via the AA-LA liaison) as needed, I've read that CX is much less willing to go down the liaison route, and as such the three pax on CX tickets would be forced to rebook on flights with space, which are pretty much non-existent.

In an ideal world, all four of us would be auto-rebooked by LA (since they initiated the cancellation) onto their JFK-LIM flight, so just wanted to assess the odds of that happening before preparing myself for a battle with CX.

Last edited by dkc192; Dec 8, 2017 at 10:36 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 10:30 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
is LATAM PY part of OW yet? can you use AA miles?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:38 pm

New to this thread and having some trouble with LATAM. I am able to see Classic awards for 70k available on LATAM site but they arent listed on BA/QF and AA agents cant see them. Any ideas?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:56 am

I am trying to book a LATAM flight EZE (or AEP)-SCL. BA shows it for 7,500 avios, does that mean I can book it by calling AA, and if so, how many miles should it cost? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by sgan317
New to this thread and having some trouble with LATAM. I am able to see Classic awards for 70k available on LATAM site but they arent listed on BA/QF and AA agents cant see them. Any ideas?
I recently have been researching for ways to book award tix to LIM on LATAM. From what I gathered so far, LATAM does not release much saver award space to partners, so what you are seeing is probably accurate: space available on LATAM's site, but not showing up to partners.

Another data point: I used AwardNexus to search for LAX-LIM availability in J using both BA and QF sites as search options, and only the QF site found some availability. I also read that QF often shows phantom availability for LATAM so I'm guessing that is what this was since it didn't show via the BA site. If anyone has tips on searching/booking LATAM with AA miles please share them!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I recently have been researching for ways to book award tix to LIM on LATAM. From what I gathered so far, LATAM does not release much saver award space to partners, so what you are seeing is probably accurate: space available on LATAM's site, but not showing up to partners.

Another data point: I used AwardNexus to search for LAX-LIM availability in J using both BA and QF sites as search options, and only the QF site found some availability. I also read that QF often shows phantom availability for LATAM so I'm guessing that is what this was since it didn't show via the BA site. If anyone has tips on searching/booking LATAM with AA miles please share them!
AA has been releasing U space between MIA and LIM of late. Unless you're recently retired and desperate to fill your time, my suggestion is to book AA, rather than hunting a unicorn.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
When I am trying to plan my South America travel back in June, I had AA checked LA availability from JFK and MIA to LIM and SCL. They had searched the whole July, August, September and October. There was not a single seat in any date, any cabin. I am not sure it was because of the merger IT problems or sometime else, but there was definitely almost no seat on LATAM for redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.