Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 26, 16, 12:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
TAM now says the AA system isn't communicating correctly with TAM so the AA ticket number isn't being transferred over so they have to manually input it.

Reservation still says not complete at TAM. TAM e-mailed me a confirmation from Amadeus with the AA ticket number.

As far as confirmed vs standby, this guy says it's confirmed. So if you're keeping score at home of who said what:

TAM standby = 3 (2 of whom told it to an AA supervisor), TAM confirmed = 1
AA standby = 1, AA confirmed = 1
One World AA desk confirmed = 1

I should have looked at the load on EF all along. Looks like 10 pax so far have seat assignments. Of course, it could fill up by day of departure.
Old Feb 26, 16, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Both LA and JJ are very inconsistent in terms of scheduling. They change times and aircraft much too frequently for my taste and sometimes even cancel flights completely. Unfortunately, AA usually does not follow up on informing their customers of changes. The result can vary from a slight inconvenience to a disaster in terms of travel plans. Nonetheless, in my experience both awards and paid flights issued by AA on LA and JJ most often occur without serious problems. You definitely should check your AA reservations from time to time for changes when you book far ahead of the flight date and also check for last minute changes. But most of the time, everything comes off as planned. I have recently traveled on TAM from JFK to GIG and LAN from IPC to PPT, both in business class, on awards without problem. On the other hand, a paid flight from GIG to SCL was canceled and TAM booked me on random flight the following day. You never can know ahead of time if everything is ok, but things most often turn out ok.
Old Feb 26, 16, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro View Post
Probably. I had a similar situation where I tried to click through to the end on ba.com, even though I preferred using AA miles, and got a message along the lines of 'no longer available'. The flight in question did not show up as available on the QF site and AA agents could not see it. The fact of the matter is that LA and partners offer very little to oneworld frequent flyers.
Thought I'd give it a try using Avios, and space that didn't show on QF or AA ticketed without issue using BA Avios.

LAN availability seems to be all kind of screwy. If I do a search on QF, I'll see LAN availability when paired with other AA connections, but if I do a search for the LAN segment only it won't show.
Old Feb 26, 16, 5:14 pm

After a few HUACAs, I managed to find a rep who could see JFK-LIM in June. Availability is still far off what I see on BA, but at least the date is just a day off from my ideal date. Booked YYZ-LGA, JFK-LIM in J (both seats are confirmed) and put it on the 5 day courtesy hold.

Before I do the SPG transfer, should I be reasonably assured that if I have made the booking and the seats are confirmed, it will ticket? (Don't want to get stuck with 30K orphaned AA miles.) I've read that LA gets all messy if not immediately ticketed, but those posts go back to 2012. Any recent anecdotes of people successfully ticketing LAN awards after a hold of a few days would be immensely helpful!
Old Feb 26, 16, 6:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
After a few HUACAs, I managed to find a rep who could see JFK-LIM in June. Availability is still far off what I see on BA, but at least the date is just a day off from my ideal date. Booked YYZ-LGA, JFK-LIM in J (both seats are confirmed) and put it on the 5 day courtesy hold.

Before I do the SPG transfer, should I be reasonably assured that if I have made the booking and the seats are confirmed, it will ticket? (Don't want to get stuck with 30K orphaned AA miles.) I've read that LA gets all messy if not immediately ticketed, but those posts go back to 2012. Any recent anecdotes of people successfully ticketing LAN awards after a hold of a few days would be immensely helpful!
I ticketed two separate LAN awards a few weeks ago after a 5 day hold. However, for one of them, I called just a few hours before the hold was supposed to expire (based on the local time zone of the origin flight) and found that the itinerary had been canceled by LAN. Luckily, there were still seats available, and I was able to put the same flights on hold for another 5 days and ticketed on the fifth day no problem--but this time called more than just a few hours before midnight local time.
Old Feb 26, 16, 7:45 pm

If I remember correctly from my experience, I think the AA agent said LAN needs the ticket within 3 days. They said they can do a 5 day hold but there wasn't a guarantee the LAN segments would be there after 3 days. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from a few months ago.
Old Feb 27, 16, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
I booked a TAM flight MIA-GRU last week. Held it for 15-20 minutes and then ticketed on the same call after sorting out some other issues.

I agree that BA inventory is not consistent with that seen by AA's agents, though some of the dialogue with agent who ultimately held and booked my ticket made it sound like she didn't see what I wanted at first either. Anyways, ticketed immediately and no problems flying a few days later other than the lack of catering relative to the printed menu provided on-board. I mean, don't tell me there's going to be a sundae if you can't follow through!
Old Feb 27, 16, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lakersown81 View Post
If I remember correctly from my experience, I think the AA agent said LAN needs the ticket within 3 days. They said they can do a 5 day hold but there wasn't a guarantee the LAN segments would be there after 3 days. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from a few months ago.
That's interesting. I've never heard of this rule, although I did have that one experience where my hold was cancelled before I expected it to (by a few hours) (I have wondered if it was because they cancelled it after 5 days exactly as opposed to midnight on the fifth day). I have experienced many times agents who tell me that LA flights can't be held, but every time, I ask them to double check, and they always come back and tell me that I can hold for 5 days. And based on my recent experience ticketing LAN awards, I have (in general) been able to hold for 5 days.

I guess, though, the bottom line is that it would be safer to ticket as soon as possible.
Old Feb 28, 16, 6:54 am

As a further update, Avios showed JFK-LIM wide open in June, but after 10 calls I couldn't get a single rep to see the date I wanted (June 25th.) I settled for June 26th, which is what I had on hold. I consider myself lucky given how erratic LAN space seems to be and the necessity to book it at T-330.

The SPG transfer hit my account this morning, I called up to add a LIM-CUZ connector and asked for it to be ticketed. No problems so far, but I'll relax once I get the ticketing e-mail.

YYZ-JFK-LIM-CUZ for 30K in J is an absolute steal! ^
Old Feb 28, 16, 7:55 am

YYZ-JFK-LIM-CUZ for 30K in J is an absolute steal! ^
^ Agreed. And lucklily, this award is not going up in price after March.

I am doing the exact same trip (from JFK) in May and just ticketed at the beginning of the month.
Old Feb 29, 16, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
^ Agreed. And lucklily, this award is not going up in price after March.

I am doing the exact same trip (from JFK) in May and just ticketed at the beginning of the month.
Pity that for Canadians it's still going up by 5K. Though 35K for this type of reward is still very nice, especially if one can get the 7/8 hour longhaul from JFK/LAX-LIM.

For reference, it ticketed approximately 36 hours after I called in to request ticketing. Flight is confirmed on LAN's side (there isn't the strange "Pay for your reservation" message that one poster seems to have experienced), so all good to go! ^
Old Feb 29, 16, 5:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Pity that for Canadians it's still going up by 5K. Though 35K for this type of reward is still very nice, especially if one can get the 7/8 hour longhaul from JFK/LAX-LIM.

For reference, it ticketed approximately 36 hours after I called in to request ticketing. Flight is confirmed on LAN's side (there isn't the strange "Pay for your reservation" message that one poster seems to have experienced), so all good to go! ^
That's me. Not sure what I'm support to do at this point.

Old Feb 29, 16, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
That's me. Not sure what I'm support to do at this point.

I had that message until the AA ticket was issued. Checked on LAN's site immediately after I got the ticketing e-mail, and that message disappeared (and I was able to select seats as well.)

Is there something you can do with the ticket to force a re-issue? (e.g. changing a domestic segment)
Old Feb 29, 16, 6:06 pm

I had that message until the AA ticket was issued. Checked on LAN's site immediately after I got the ticketing e-mail, and that message disappeared (and I was able to select seats as well.)

Is there something you can do with the ticket to force a re-issue? (e.g. changing a domestic segment)
Nope. Can't cancel and rebook as sASAver isn't available any more that day and I don't want to risk canceling and it's not thrown back in to the bucket.

Whole thing has been a mess with ticketing and everyone at TAM originally saying it's a standby ticket.

I have an e-mail from [email protected] (sent by TAM) indicating "RESERVATION CONFIRMED"
Old Mar 23, 16, 8:43 pm

Is there a reliable way to search LAN award availability on LAN.com that would be visible by AAgents at the saver level?

I know that for LA availability searches usually BA.com is the way to go, and sometimes QF's search can help, though not as reliable. I'm wondering if there's any logic that would tell me if something that shows up on LAN.com would actually be booked as a SAAver award.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: