Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by saaveraward
EDIT: I call back and speak with an AA supervisor. She says "come on, there's no way."

She calls TAM. They tell her the same thing. She gets on with a TAM supervisor. Same story.

So that's triple confirmation from TAM the award ticket is "standby" and not confirmed space.
Wow.

What if you try the LAN site?
https://ssl.lan.com/cgi-bin/mis_viajes/mis_viajes.cgi

I've not booked an award on TAM, but I've booked a number of awards on LAN and haven't had a problem yet in terms of ticketing *knock on wood*. I find that my AA record locator even works on LAN's Manage My Booking (the classic version--not the new beta version), so no need to get a separate locator, and the seats I select on LAN show up in My Trips on AA within a day or so.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
EDIT: I call back and speak with an AA supervisor. She says "come on, there's no way."

She calls TAM. They tell her the same thing. She gets on with a TAM supervisor. Same story.

So that's triple confirmation from TAM the award ticket is "standby" and not confirmed space.
Avoid them at all costs. These two airlines require 10 agents to do what a U.S. airline could do with 2 and even then the vast majority of the time these 10 agents can't help you. lol

LAN and TAM should change their slogan to "Incompetence reimagined the LATAM way."
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Wow.

What if you try the LAN site?
https://ssl.lan.com/cgi-bin/mis_viajes/mis_viajes.cgi

I've not booked an award on TAM, but I've booked a number of awards on LAN and haven't had a problem yet in terms of ticketing *knock on wood*. I find that my AA record locator even works on LAN's Manage My Booking (the classic version--not the new beta version), so no need to get a separate locator, and the seats I select on LAN show up in My Trips on AA within a day or so.
The record locator pulls and says something to the effect of "you must complete your purchase to travel"

I have a 001 ticket. AA says it's "HK" (I don't know what that means but she said that's good).

Yet the net result is TAM is insistent I can only travel on a "space available" basis.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fly747first
Avoid them at all costs. These two airlines require 10 agents to do what a U.S. airline could do with 2 and even then the vast majority of the time these 10 agents can't help you. lol

LAN and TAM should change their slogan to "Incompetence reimagined the LATAM way."
There's not a lot of choice in terms of carriers if one is looking to travel within South America. And no choice if you choose to remain loyal to Oneworld.

EDIT: I forgot. QR flies GRU-EZE. Still, not too many choices.

The record locator pulls and says something to the effect of "you must complete your purchase to travel"

I have a 001 ticket. AA says it's "HK" (I don't know what that means but she said that's good).

Yet the net result is TAM is insistent I can only travel on a "space available" basis.
Crazy. I am curious to find out how everything turns out in the end. Please report back if you can.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Feb 13, 2016 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
There's not a lot of choice in terms of carriers if one is looking to travel within South America. And no choice if you choose to remain loyal to oneworld.

Crazy. I am curious to find out how everything turns out in the end. Please report back if you can.
Me too! Better now then when I'm in the airport. This trip is a few months out. Yes, choices are limited, but I'm going to call AA customer service and I have a plan. I'm sure they'll say no, but I'll ask anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
LAN call center nightmare

While LAN may be a decent airline to actually fly on, using LANPASS kms is not much better.

I had to book a Chile - Argentina open jaw which is completely legal in their program and dealing with their idiotic agents was a complete nightmare. It took 3 hours and 5 calls to get ticketed on a simple 3 leg award. So yes, we saved $1,500 on short flights that were otherwise a ripoff.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
FYI: Years ago, in the age of handwritten tickets (anyone remember those?), "HK" used to mean "Holds Confirmed", (I don't know why "K" and not "C"), before it changed to "OK". I didn't realize that was still being used!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:31 am

Saw lots of JFK-LIM availability in April for the dates I need on BA.com. Clicks through no problem, it gives me the number of Avios required, but I can't book it due to lack of miles.

Call into AA, they tell me there's absolutely nothing on any of the dates that I want. Tried with multiple agents and no dice.

Does this mean that the Avios availability is phantom?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by tng11

Does this mean that the Avios availability is phantom?
Probably. I had a similar situation where I tried to click through to the end on ba.com, even though I preferred using AA miles, and got a message along the lines of 'no longer available'. The flight in question did not show up as available on the QF site and AA agents could not see it. The fact of the matter is that LA and partners offer very little to oneworld frequent flyers.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)

Surely this cannot be the case? I'm worried now as I have a HKG-BNE-SYD-AKL-NAN business award next month, with SYD-AKL on LAN. Being denied boarding by LAN would leave me in an absolute mess, as I have a paid NAN-CXI ticket booked only 8 hours after arriving into NAN.

I also have an AA revenue ticket booked to South America for late May, and was planning on booking a Y award on LAN and / or TAM between Patagonia and Sao Paulo to connect the two legs. Without a confirmed seat, I could miss the return to the US and Europe!

Does anyone have any contacts at a high level in LAN or TAM who can confirm or deny this?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Surely this cannot be the case? I'm worried now as I have a HKG-BNE-SYD-AKL-NAN business award next month, with SYD-AKL on LAN. Being denied boarding by LAN would leave me in an absolute mess, as I have a paid NAN-CXI ticket booked only 8 hours after arriving into NAN.

I also have an AA revenue ticket booked to South America for late May, and was planning on booking a Y award on LAN and / or TAM between Patagonia and Sao Paulo to connect the two legs. Without a confirmed seat, I could miss the return to the US and Europe!

Does anyone have any contacts at a high level in LAN or TAM who can confirm or deny this?
I've spoken with AA Customer Relations who told me "Well if that's their policy, then you can fly someone else" and referred me back to reservations.

I left a voice mail with someone in the AA executive office and e-mailed someone high level at OW and am awaiting a response.

Also, when I pull my confirmation at LAN (yes, I know I'm traveling on TAM), it still tells me the ticket needs to be paid for and has hash marks under ticket number.

I will post something either way next week.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I've spoken with AA Customer Relations who told me "Well if that's their policy, then you can fly someone else" and referred me back to reservations.

I left a voice mail with someone in the AA executive office and e-mailed someone high level at OW and am awaiting a response.

Also, when I pull my confirmation at LAN (yes, I know I'm traveling on TAM), it still tells me the ticket needs to be paid for and has hash marks under ticket number.

I will post something either way next week.
Thanks, will look forward to that. For the record, I can pull up my itinerary on lan.com using the LAN record locator provided by AA, my AA ticket number is showing and I can select seats (which stick). So a good sign!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Thanks, will look forward to that. For the record, I can pull up my itinerary on lan.com using the LAN record locator provided by AA, my AA ticket number is showing and I can select seats (which stick). So a good sign!
I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:28 am

This is what I see. I have deleted my name:

I just called in to AA and saaver is now gone so someone over there better sort it out because

1) TAM won't recognize it's ticketed with a ticket number

2) TAM will not confirm space on the flight and will only offer it "if available"

I'm going to call the TAM US office next.

Last edited by saaveraward; Feb 26, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:09 am

62+ minutes and counting on the phone with AA.... zero progress....

No one can figure out why TAM has been telling AA it's space available.

EDIT: AA says confirmed, TAM still shows not confirmed. So exactly the same thing before I made the call. Every US # on the TAM site is no good, Toronto has no answer, Montreal no good, London rings fast busy. e-mail to 2 North American contacts bounce back.

Great airline these guys have

Last edited by saaveraward; Feb 26, 2016 at 11:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.