Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award to / from the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Awards to / from the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador

Link to Wikipedia article about the Galápagos Islands.

The Galápagos Islands are a province of Ecuador, comprised of an island group just south of and extending north past the equator, approximately 600 miles from the coast of Ecuador. The area is a defined National Park and World Heritage. All visitors are required to abide by Park regulations. Link to regulations for visitors.

AAdvantage awards are theoretically available on XL / LAN Ecuador, but very few FT AAdvantage members has reported success other than securing award flights to gateway Ecuadorian cities highland capital Quito / UIO or coastal Guayaquil / GYE. Most of us have purchased UIO / GYE flights to GPS, often through the boat company we are cruising with; visitors can expect no fare discounts, which are reserved for Galápagos residents. You'll also find little or no difference in fares, as they are controlled.
  • Low season generally May 01 - June 14 / Sep 15 - Oct 31
  • High season generally Jan 01 - Apr 30 / Jun 15 - Sep 14 / Nov 01 - Dec 31
There are two islands with airports with flights to the mainland: Baltra and San Cristóbal. San Cristobal's Puerto Baquerizo Moreno is the provincial capital, with armed forces presence. Baltra island, north of Santa Cruz and separated by a channel, is also closest to the park administrative and tourism center, Puerto Ayora in the south of Santa Crúz island, connected by ferry and bus to Baltra.

Be absolutely sure which airport you need to use; most tours define that clearly and may include specific flight information and even tickets, so passengers can be met. Neither airport is equipped with extensive facilities, and they are open part time for daytime flights.

There are no international airport flights to the Galápagos airports, only domestic intra-Ecuadorian flights from both Baltra and San Cristóbal as shown below.

While there are no immigration and customs formalities, one must have a permit to visit the Galápagos islands, and there is a mandatory agricultural inspection required of passengers departing to the islands. Your permit is usually arranged by your tour company.

• Baltra: GPS (SEGS, South Seymour airport), (built during WW II by the U.S. Army, arguably the largest airport and used by the majority of Galápagos cruises).
  • G2 / Avianca Ecuador (previously AeroGal - Star Alliance Affiliate) - Guayaquil, Quito
  • XL / LAN Ecuador (oneworld)- Guayaquil, Quito
  • EQ / TAME (previously Transportes Aéreos Militares Ecuatorianos - Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana, now just TAME, government owned) San Cristóbal, Guayaquil, Quito
  • San Cristobal: SCY (SEST) airport, more remote with fewer cruise departures.
  • G2 / Avianca Ecuador (previously AeroGal - Star Alliance Affiliate) - Guayaquil, Quito
  • XL / LAN Ecuador (oneworld)- Guayaquil, Quito
  • EQ / TAME (previously Transportes Aéreos Militares Ecuatorianos - Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana, now merely TAME, government owned) - Baltra, Guayaquil, Quito
- Updated 4 Oct May 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Award to / from the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:42 am

did you check *A flights as well? pretty open the next few months.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by moops380
did you check *A flights as well? pretty open the next few months.
I chased *A awards for several weeks. Everything that showed available was phantom.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, AS MVP Gold
I'm getting award tickets to Galapagos in May/June

Before new year, there was lot of award availability for those months. Unfortunately I didn't knew my schedule yet then so I was unable to book early.

I got SCY-GYE-LIM ticketed some weeks ago as award, but flight to Galapagos seems to be harder to secure. BA search displays no availability when searching only segment UOI/GYE-GPS/SCY and it's same when calling to AA. BA can't somehow see availability of married segments that include XL flights. It would be nice to see availability for those without needing to call.

There seems to be some award availability as married segments from LIM. I would have liked to have stop or at least long layover in UIO to visit at least the city. AAgent agent was able to see availability for morning flight LIM-UIO and married segment LIM-UIO-GPS departing in evening and having 4 hour layover in middle of night in UIO. The agent was unable to book morning flight LIM-UIO with around 21 hour layover in UIO, even that required LIM-UIO had space and UIO-GPS had space whan booked with later LIM-GPS flight. At least have one LIM-UIO-GPS itinerary in hold as a plan B.

Is it possible to get long layover somehow when the system is enforcing that kind of married segment logic? Probably I'm out of luck with getting the long layover/stopover, but it doesn't mind to ask. Or how to get secure UIO-GPS/SCY without another segment as an award in that situation?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thois
I'm getting award tickets to Galapagos in May/June

Before new year, there was lot of award availability for those months. Unfortunately I didn't knew my schedule yet then so I was unable to book early.

I got SCY-GYE-LIM ticketed some weeks ago as award, but flight to Galapagos seems to be harder to secure. BA search displays no availability when searching only segment UOI/GYE-GPS/SCY and it's same when calling to AA. BA can't somehow see availability of married segments that include XL flights. It would be nice to see availability for those without needing to call.

There seems to be some award availability as married segments from LIM. I would have liked to have stop or at least long layover in UIO to visit at least the city. AAgent agent was able to see availability for morning flight LIM-UIO and married segment LIM-UIO-GPS departing in evening and having 4 hour layover in middle of night in UIO. The agent was unable to book morning flight LIM-UIO with around 21 hour layover in UIO, even that required LIM-UIO had space and UIO-GPS had space whan booked with later LIM-GPS flight. At least have one LIM-UIO-GPS itinerary in hold as a plan B.

Is it possible to get long layover somehow when the system is enforcing that kind of married segment logic? Probably I'm out of luck with getting the long layover/stopover, but it doesn't mind to ask. Or how to get secure UIO-GPS/SCY without another segment as an award in that situation?
Are you looking on BA? If so, you should be able to book two one ways for same number of points bc BA is distance based. If you are going on cruise in Galapagos , check with that company bc most require you to fly with the group and arrange the flight for you.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Are you looking on BA? If so, you should be able to book two one ways for same number of points bc BA is distance based.
I was looking to book with AA miles, but it could be possible to book also with BA avios. The problem is that there is no availability as a single segment UIO-GPS/SCY, only availability that I have found recently is only married segments.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
If you are going on cruise in Galapagos , check with that company bc most require you to fly with the group and arrange the flight for you.
Planning to try to get last-minute deal after arrival from UIO or from GPS, so not thinking about that.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:47 am

Hel-scl-gps-nyc-hel

I would like to travel to Santiago de Chile and Galapagos islands , is that possible by AA miles ?

If I calculated right, price should be 117 500 miles.

Maybe good option to buy ticket ticket Hel-Jfk-Hel , if price 300 eur.
And use miles nyc-scl-gps-nyc..
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I don't think GPS receives flights from SCL. You'd need to fly via UIO or GYE as a domestic Ecuadorean flight. Common wisdom here has always been that award space on Galapagos flights is VERY elusive. That's the leg you may end up buying.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
I would like to travel to Santiago de Chile and Galapagos islands , is that possible by AA miles ?

If I calculated right, price should be 117 500 miles.

Maybe good option to buy ticket ticket Hel-Jfk-Hel , if price 300 eur.
And use miles nyc-scl-gps-nyc..
We have merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for some information.

/Moderator

JFK-...-UIO or GYE would be much more useful for GPS or SCY. Be sure to do your research on the Galápagos - if you just fly to GPS and expect to wing it you'll be likely to have a very frustrating experience, particularly in high season. For the tours that make it worthwhile, be careful of selecting a boat that truly does a seven day tour and is not stitching a 3 and 4 day trips together; select a boat that is smaller (can go to sites larger groups are not permitted) and be aware boats can range from excellent to dodgy. There's no European or North American Coast Guard or licencing authority assuring you a boat will meet certain safety standards. (We've been to the islands twice, once on an extended boat excursion and once on a liveaboard dive boat that included Darwin and Wolf islands.)
Old May 19, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any new information on booking LATAM award seats to GPS? I don't see any seats on AA.com, and BA doesn't even let you search for it.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:04 am

BA search still works, just need to use the dedicated award search https://www.britishairways.com/travel/redeem/ instead of the search in main pages when looking for awards to more exotic places. And remember to check availability also as a married leg, LA seems to open more award space on that route as married segments.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thois
BA search still works, just need to use the dedicated award search https://www.britishairways.com/travel/redeem/ instead of the search in main pages when looking for awards to more exotic places. And remember to check availability also as a married leg, LA seems to open more award space on that route as married segments.
Sometimes I can get that seach to go through, and other times I get an error message. Either way, though, I don't see any seats. Does anyone else?
Old May 28, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I've been able to book LATAM flights from the mainland of Ecuador to the Galapagos using my AA miles. It's a cheap 5000 miles, plus more taxes than you'd think necessary (about $45 one way). The key was to search inventory on BA and then find a competent AA agent to duplicate it (if you're connecting, encourage them to search by individual segment if they're not finding the flights). BTW, BA's taxes are about 2x AA's, so I guess the taxes are right. My "on request" AA reservation ticketed in less than 24 hours.

LATAM availability isn't great, but I found about 2 days each week with seats when I was looking. I know most people are going on expensive private boat tours, but if you want a much cheaper "land-oriented" Galapagos visit, consider an "open jaw": fly in one direction to San Cristobal (SCY) instead of just Baltra (GPS) to open up more award inventory and save yourself a needless ferry ride.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by iahphx
FWIW, I've been able to book LATAM flights from the mainland of Ecuador to the Galapagos using my AA miles. It's a cheap 5000 miles, plus more taxes than you'd think necessary (about $45 one way). The key was to search inventory on BA and then find a competent AA agent to duplicate it (if you're connecting, encourage them to search by individual segment if they're not finding the flights). BTW, BA's taxes are about 2x AA's, so I guess the taxes are right. My "on request" AA reservation ticketed in less than 24 hours.

LATAM availability isn't great, but I found about 2 days each week with seats when I was looking. I know most people are going on expensive private boat tours, but if you want a much cheaper "land-oriented" Galapagos visit, consider an "open jaw": fly in one direction to San Cristobal (SCY) instead of just Baltra (GPS) to open up more award inventory and save yourself a needless ferry ride.
Thanks for the information.

What is this “needless ferry ride” you speak of? These are islands, and the only way to get between islands and to Baltra is by boat. Santa Cruz is home to the Charles Darwin Research Station and most land-based touring, and though you can bus to the north you still have the Itabaca Channel.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for the information.

What is this “needless ferry ride” you speak of? These are islands, and the only way to get between islands and to Baltra is by boat. Santa Cruz is home to the Charles Darwin Research Station and most land-based touring, and though you can bus to the north you still have the Itabaca Channel.
San Cristobal is another major island in the Galapagos. Very worth visiting, and much quieter than the main island of Santa Cruz (which, as you say, is connected to the primary Galapagos airport, Baltra, by a short ferry ride). Unless you have no interest in visiting San Cristobal (and you should, it's a good destination) you'd want to fly into one airport and out the other so you don't have to go back and forth by boat, which takes a few hours. Kind of like if you're visiting Maui and the Big Island, it would make sense to fly into one and out the other to save yourself an inter-island flight.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:56 pm

Miami to Galapagos island , with AA miles

Is that possible to travel to Galapagos Island ?
I check that LAN chile flight from Quito or Guayaquil.
AA web pages, I can book trip Guayaquil or Quito.
Should I buy different ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.