Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Yes I'm upset too!!

...heard on a recent flight pitching the AA Citi card over the PA, "and you can redeem travel for a round trip starting at only 25,000 miles..."

I have a real problem hearing that ad on a flight, and a bigger problem giving SSNs in a pile of written forms to flight attendants to deliver. Anyway, it's funny to go to http://aa.com/awardmap and see where your miles WON'T take you! No wonder they don't advertise that portion of their website. Not many people know about it. I'm sure they spent a pretty penny developing it, but it showcases how useless the miles really are.

If we want to get some traction, perhaps we should start socializing the "aa.com/awardmap" site so everyone can make their own opinions of the redemption value.

Edit: I just read this post to my wife and she put in "25,000" miles into the calculator for ANY domestic destination with randomly picked dates in January..."NO RESULTS FOUND."
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by gozetta
...heard on a recent flight pitching the AA Citi card over the PA, "and you can redeem travel for a round trip starting at only 25,000 miles..."

I have a real problem hearing that ad on a flight, and a bigger problem giving SSNs in a pile of written forms to flight attendants to deliver. Anyway, it's funny to go to http://aa.com/awardmap and see where your miles WON'T take you! No wonder they don't advertise that portion of their website. Not many people know about it. I'm sure they spent a pretty penny developing it, but it showcases how useless the miles really are.

If we want to get some traction, perhaps we should start socializing the "aa.com/awardmap" site so everyone can make their own opinions of the redemption value.

Edit: I just read this post to my wife and she put in "25,000" miles into the calculator for ANY domestic destination with randomly picked dates in January..."NO RESULTS FOUND."
I just put in a search for SAN-MCO/MCO-SAN for the second full week in January. There is 12.5K award availability on all but one day in each direction. That equals 25K miles roundtrip. So my opinion says that it still exists, and therefore, still has value.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

A few years ago they actually did have some advertising that said fly anywhere for 50k. I guess that didn't stick.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I just put in a search for SAN-MCO/MCO-SAN for the second full week in January. There is 12.5K award availability on all but one day in each direction. That equals 25K miles roundtrip. So my opinion says that it still exists, and therefore, still has value.
Actually, you have a good point. I am in DFW, perhaps I should relocate to another homebase! Putting in that same week from DFW (1/5 thru 1/10) I believe) nets exactly one 25k possibility: Jackson, Wyoming.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I will also note that the tool is not totally accurate. I found flights when it said there were none
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: IC-Royal Amb, Hilton Gold VIP AA PLT
+1

Originally Posted by mvoight
I will also note that the tool is not totally accurate. I found flights when it said there were none
Agree

Srpilo
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wright Amendment went away today. Now even more reason for me to consider other airlines when I fly. No longer is there a strangle hold by AA. I am closing in on 2 mil lifetime. I have 7 trips coming up to FLL that I am think I might go WN.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA-PLT; DL-Silver/AKA "nothing"; Hilton-Diamond;
deleted post...

Last edited by capn_shawn; Dec 31, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.