Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ends International Award Free N. America Gateway Stopover
As of April 8, 2014 - no prior notice given.

● As of 8 April 2014, AA North America to international destination awards no longer offer a voluntary stopover at the N. A. international gateway.

● Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award as of 8 Jan 2014. (JonNYC).

● Awards ticketed prior to April 8 can add or change a stopover. Refer the AAgent to the "All Partner Award Guidelines" document which can be found on jetnet at Webref-> jetnet-> aawrcontent-> res-> resstaff-> internal-> AADAP. Giving this to the agent should be enough to find it. This is from the version dated 7/22/2014 with credit to JonNYC:

Tickets issued prior to April 8, 2014, free international stopovers on international awards are allowed at the North American gateway.

●For stopover purposes only, the North American gateway is defined as the passenger's first point of arrival or last point of departure in the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI/Mexico

●Stopovers within/between all other regions require additional awards
●Changes or adding a stopover to this ticket will require a call to Tariff for PQR prior to setting up reissue
This thread is for discussion of the now eliminated international north american gateway stopover on awards.

Other topics that are related may be followed here:

. . . Wiki: AA Quietly Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Charges [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Wiki: Free Checked Bag / Baggage Changes as of 8 Apr 2014

. . . Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Sorry to be the bearer of sad tiding, but you need to have a look at this thread
<Mod note: removed circular URL, post merge>

Last edited by miamigrad; Apr 14, 2014 at 6:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Leopold
Paying compensation to someone is not a "bribe".
Actually, that's exactly what it is...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Dan Demers
I'd like to make Boston a stopover city to get a free one-way a month or two later.
If this was the way people were using the stopover provision, I can't fault AA for closing such a gaping loophole. It may have been completely allowed, but that's not a stopover.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
If this was the way people were using the stopover provision, I can't fault AA for closing such a gaping loophole. It may have been completely allowed, but that's not a stopover.
Some cash tickets allow a stopover, and if someone exploits the cash ticket I don't really see the difference. I've only used short stopovers, not "add-ons" but AA could easily have fixed this in other ways:

1) Limit the length of the stopover,
2) Or only make it available only for AAnytime awards or business and first,
3) Or make the stopover rules follow the published fare. I'm sure there are fares that still allow stopovers on US-Australia for example.
4) Or require a round trip plus some combination of the above.

Instead we got the axe.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by rrgg
Some cash tickets allow a stopover, and if someone exploits the cash ticket I don't really see the difference.
The word "cash" is the difference here. Or so it seems to me. AA is earning actual revenue on those tickets.

But yours are good suggestions for ways to tighten the restrictions. Until I started reading the complaints about doing away with it, I had no idea this is how people were using the "stopover." I honestly thought it was "Let's stop and see Aunt Martha and Uncle George in Miami on our way home from London."
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The stopovers were only free at NA international gateways if the stopover was at an airport/city on a routing allowed under the published fare routing rule (which AA still has).

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
The word "cash" is the difference here. Or so it seems to me. AA is earning actual revenue on those tickets.

But yours are good suggestions for ways to tighten the restrictions. Until I started reading the complaints about doing away with it, I had no idea this is how people were using the "stopover." I honestly thought it was "Let's stop and see Aunt Martha and Uncle George in Miami on our way home from London."
Mileage tickets are revenue tickets.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
..Mileage tickets are revenue tickets.
Great idea-- let's just throw out every known, industry-defined, established definition we have here-- that'll make things much clearer.

Mileage tickets -are- "paid for," stipulated. They are NOT in any way, shape or form "revenue tickets" which are defined by everyone on the planet as tickets paid for with money.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Great idea-- let's just throw out every known, industry-defined, established definition we have here-- that'll make things much clearer.

Mileage tickets -are- "paid for," stipulated. They are NOT in any way, shape or form "revenue tickets" which are defined by everyone on the planet as tickets paid for with money.
I would agree that mileage tickets are revenue tickets in the sense that 1) the airline is able to reduce a liability on their books and 2) they are not non-revenue tickets/bookings used by airline employees. The fact that the industry and AA's own documentation refer to them as free tickets doesn't change that.

That said, clearly they are a different in important ways from regular revenue tickets paid for with cash.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Mileage tickets are revenue tickets. The settlement process for flown mileage ticket coupons for flights operated by partner airlines ought to make that clear to people who think about it. It's not like the partner airlines are generally flying other airlines' loyalty program customers for free. They too get revenue for it and cash settlement does take place from time to time. Also it helps to get familiar with the accounting practices of the airlines when it comes to mileage-related liabilities and revenue recognition practices related to mileage redemptions. For accounting and regulatory purposes, mileage tickets being considered revenue tickets shouldn't be a shocker.

Mileage tickets are not the only form of revenue tickets and not even anywhere close to the majority form of revenue tickets, but that is not a shock either. They are a relatively small subset of revenue tickets.

The US DOT calls mileage ticket passengers revenue passengers too:

Originally Posted by DOT
The following types of passengers are examples of revenue passengers: (1) Passengers traveling on publicly available tickets; (2) passengers traveling on frequent flyer awards; (3) passengers traveling on barter tickets; (4) infants traveling on confirmed-space tickets; (5) passengers traveling on vouchers as compensation for denied boarding or passengers traveling free in response to consumer complaints or claims; and (6) passengers traveling on preferential fares (Government, seamen, military, youth, student, etc.). This list is not exhaustive and is provided for illustrative purposes only.
ICAO and US DOT largely harmonized on this matter of definition.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 15, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Mileage tickets are revenue tickets. The settlement process for flown mileage ticket coupons for flights operated by partner airlines ought to make that clear to people who think about it. It's not like the partner airlines are generally flying other airlines' loyalty program customers for free. They too get revenue for it and cash settlement does take place from time to time. Also it helps to get familiar with the accounting practices of the airlines when it comes to mileage-related liabilities and revenue recognition practices related to mileage redemptions. For accounting and regulatory purposes, mileage tickets being considered revenue tickets shouldn't be a shocker.

Mileage tickets are not the only form of revenue tickets and not even anywhere close to the majority form of revenue tickets, but that is not a shock either. They are a relatively small subset of revenue tickets.

The US DOT calls mileage ticket passengers revenue passengers too:

ICAO and US DOT largely harmonized on this matter of definition.
Total, irrelevant nonsense.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:51 pm

I'm very sorry if I implied that awards are really the same as cash tickets. I didn't mean to start a debate about that. I was trying to say that if AA lets you make a connection on a seat that's unlikely to be sold, then I don't see how it makes much difference if they give you a stopover instead where you're put in some other seat that's also unlikely to be sold. I compared to cash tickets, because if airlines can manage stopovers for those fares, they should be able to manage and limit them for awards.

Even if I'm mistaken about that, it's not that relevant to my overall point which is that AA had several other ways to close the loophole yet still appear to be sensible. For whatever reason they chose not to do so. Other programs allow stopovers, so the argument about matching "industry standards" doesn't really make much sense. Other programs allow stopovers, so the argument about matching "industry standards" doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 15, 2014 at 2:04 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

The stopovers on (non-OWE) award tickets were only free if the stopover was at a NA gateway airport/city allowed as a point of travel on a publicly-available regular published fare.

Total, irrelevant nonsense.
Mileage tickets are revenue tickets and that isn't nonsense. If that is not relevant, it's not sparked by my post. Peace.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 15, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrgg
...AA had several other ways to close the loophole yet still appear to be sensible. For whatever reason they chose not to do so. Other programs allow stopovers, so the argument about matching "industry standards" doesn't really make much sense.
Well, that part of your post is pretty much undeniable-- they should have found some other "reasoning" for the change in their talking points as this one makes little sense.

That said, the rest is...well... I'm in the camp of "time to accept the new reality or take your business where ya' think it's more appreciated."

The no-notice aspect of the elimination of Explorer awards was really, really poorly thought-out. The rest of it, everyone I guess has their own view, but none of it bothers me personally all that much. And the elimination of the N.American gateway stopover, least of all-- I'd rather just pay for whatever amount of award I'm going to use and not subsidize other's more "creative" usage, personally. BIG YMMV, needless to say!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Mirrors my understanding as well.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:15 pm

Well, that part of your post is pretty much undeniable-- they should have found some other "reasoning" for the change in their talking points as this one makes little sense.

That said, the rest is...well... I'm in the camp of "time to accept the new reality or take your business where ya' think it's more appreciated."

The no-notice aspect of the elimination of Explorer awards was really, really poorly thought-out. The rest of it, everyone I guess has their own view, but none of it bothers me personally all that much. And the elimination of the N.American gateway stopover, least of all-- I'd rather just pay for whatever amount of award I'm going to use and not subsidize other's more "creative" usage, personally. BIG YMMV, needless to say!
I only used the N.A. stopover once, but it was not my preference and necessary to get an award. Losing international stopovers in the old-old rules was worse, which I regularly used. At the time it sort of made sense to lose it since we had Explorer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.