Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
How very rude!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just more changes that we'll like.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by sukn

What is also unannounced as of yet is that International Gateway City Stopovers are also gone.

The new AAdvantage is turning into Dividend Miles in disguise.
How so? DM was much more generous in where one could have a stopover on an international ticket than AAdvantage was.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Fanjet
How so? DM was much more generous in where one could have a stopover on an international ticket than AAdvantage was.
Indeed. At least in terms of the one issue of stopovers on awards, we could only be so fortunate that AAdvantage becomes DM!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by sukn
What is also unannounced as of yet is that International Gateway City Stopovers are also gone.
This is far more painful than the AAnytime award changes (even though TATL has generally required BA's involvement or an AAnytime award lately)

Sample booking for off-peak NRT-LAX(stop)-JFK turned up 37.5k miles for me, suggesting the stopover might be dead already.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:37 pm

AA Quietly Increased Anytime Award Just Now

I wouldn't be surprised. They have been giving out miles left and right with people claiming they were approved for up to 5 Citi executive cards with 100k sign up bonus.

It's simple economics: inflation!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Indeed. At least in terms of the one issue of stopovers on awards, we could only be so fortunate that AAdvantage becomes DM!
and routing options, USDM blows AAdvantage away on what is permitted for routings
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
What's interesting about the new award chart is that it now separates Canada and Alaska from the 48 US. And it is also reflective of the growing differentiation between Y and J/F. The domestic coach awards seem to be somewhat better for Anytime awards. The old chart was 12.5K for Saver and 25K for Anytime. Now it is still 12.5K for Saver but either 20K or 30K for Anytime. However, when travelling internationally on J or F, then Anytime awards become more prohibitive. However, the international fleet will be flying with better-- and more importantly, fewer-- premium seats. It's called "supply and demand" for a reason. Of course BA awards aren't that hard to find at Saver levels. So would you rather pay the fuel surcharge or the mileage surcharge (involved with an Anytime award)?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
It's not simple economics... this change goes way beyond that. A few weeks ago anytime award in December business class from SFO - SCL 100K, now it's 190K. No warning... just BAM!!!

I don't like the new American

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I wouldn't be surprised. They have been giving out miles left and right with people claiming they were approved for up to 5 Citi executive cards with 100k sign up bonus.

It's simple economics: inflation!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Question International gateway stopover gone?

PVG-LAX(F 7/14/14)-HNL(C 7/24/14), it's showing as 2 awards
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:16 am

Anybody know when American Airlines use the Anytime Award level 1 / Level 2 / level 3 values?
I see only dates for MileSAAver Level 1 (Off-Peak) on aa.com

Last edited by Maria Lyashkova; Apr 8, 2014 at 1:38 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by progapanda
I seem to be able to price out an off-peak HNL-LAX stop LAX-LHR award just fine for 20,000 miles.
For travel after June 1? I can't.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
This is far more painful than the AAnytime award changes (even though TATL has generally required BA's involvement or an AAnytime award lately)

Sample booking for off-peak NRT-LAX(stop)-JFK turned up 37.5k miles for me, suggesting the stopover might be dead already.
AA.com is acting funny. Some itins work and some don't. I was able to price correctly LHR-JFK(stop)-HNL and LHR-JFK(stop)-CLT. For some reason LHR-JFK(stop)-DFW or LHR-JFK(stop)-MIA was giving me the message to call AAdvantage after selecting flights.....not sure what is going on here but I hope this doesn't go away
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
I've been looking at using miles for a domestic RT (PDX-PIA), as I'll be traveling for a wedding and needing to fly on Fri/Sun. The return (PIA-PDX) on a Sunday in July is now pricing at 50k! This must be a "level 3 AAnytime" on the new chart. But 50k for a domestic economy ticket? No thank you, American.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
One World Explorer awards are gone too.... Bummer, was about to book one. The lack of notice really sucks!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...false&from=Nav

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.