Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket to Asia now (pre devaluation) or wait

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, UA Silver, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hyatt PLAT, HH Diamond

Hi all,

I've always wanted to go to Asia and have been planning over the past year (unfortunately I'm still new to this mile&points thing). I was really thinking of going a year or two from now, but it just struck me that I should look into using AA miles before the devaluation in March.

I'm looking to fly J and given that it's 50k AA vs all other programs 70k+, I figured its either now or wait probably a good 2 years to save up points (don't plan to go crazy on CC churn). The problem is that the only flights I can find (late June/early July is when i can travel) are on planes that only feature angled flat beds on the old AA 777s. And based on reading reviews, it just seems like a terrible experience. I have never flown business class on an Int'l flight so I want this to be an enjoyable experience for myself and my family. I've looked at both AA and JAL (flying to either Tokyo or Seoul (plan to visit both)). I just signed up for the AA Plat card and was planning to buy points (with the current bonus promo). In total, I'd spend ~$6k for 4 business class tix round trip (how can you pass that up???). In addition, I have my 2 free Hyatt nights which I was hoping to redeem at one of the Park Hyatts. I currently have a hold on a return flight from Osaka to LAX on the 787 but i heard that's also an angled flat bed.

What do you guys think? Would you bite the bullet and fly the old school 777s/angled flat bed but know that you're getting a great deal even if the flight experience won't be what I had originally hoped for? Or wait it out til at least next year at the earliest (most likely 2 years) and plan way ahead and fly on a nicer route but end up using way more points?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You can always book now, and hope for a schedule/aircraft change in your favor.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Your ticket is good for a year from when it's issued, so your best option is to (as close before March 22nd as you can) to book the itinerary you want in the class you want. Then you can make a change further out to the same destination/region without paying the additional miles, though you'd have to pay a change fee. There are some restrictions but not too onerous.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
"Terrible" is relative. Sure, the angled flat beds aren't as good as true flat beds, but still far superior to any economy seat and domestic first seats.

Look for LAX-HND or ORD-NRT, which will be on a 787 with true flat beds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.