Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKI POST: Using US Dividend Miles for oneworld Award Flights
As further details become available, please fill in this wikipost.

N.B. Booking opportunities for new Dividend Miles awards of all kinds ended 11:59 PM Wednesday, 25 March 2015. Please continue using this thread for trips booked or in progress through 24 March 2016.

Changes on USDM oneworld award tickets

This is the only official statement about changing issued USDM award tickets:

If I need to make changes to a Dividend Miles award reservation, which program’s rules will apply?

Minor changes such as date/time can be made provided seats are available without requiring a new award to be claimed. More substantive changes such as changes to stopovers or origin/destination may result in the need to reinstate the previously claimed Dividend Miles award, then claiming a new AAdvantage award under the existing AAdvantage program rules.
To make a change on a USDM ticket, you need to get an agent that is trained to use the US reservation system.
The old membership rules do 'generally' still appy to USDM tickets.

For awards ticketed / reticketed on 001- ticket stock, go to the AA Refunds site with your ticket number at hand (unsure if it works with 037- stock at this time)to:
  • Print a receipt with ticket number (instead of Request a refund)
  • See total fees, taxes, etc. attached to your ticket
  • See applicable detailed fare rules
  • Request a refund (may not be useful for awards)
(Go here to print in flight purchase receipts)
Some experiences about changes to tickets, reported by members:
  • Some were able to change their ticket without beeing charged the USD 150.- changing fee.
  • No chance to change a ticket after the first flight segment has been flown.

Old stuff

oneworld member airlines - airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines (Sibir), SriLankan Airlines, TAM Airlines, US Airways and their affiliates.

Award Chart for oneworld awards using US Dividend Miles:
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...wardtravel.pdf

You can use the American Airlines, British Airways, JAL, or Qantas sites to search for oneworld award inventory. AA and QF also allows you to search for award inventory using a handy 30 day calendar view. However, availability on the calendar is dependent on site coverage (e.g. QF does not include JL or MH, AA does not include CX and others). Also, the calendar view may not be completely accurate on all partners, so use it as a guide but do not rely on it fully.

One of the easiest ways to search for oneworld availability is through the use of an outside tool such as Award Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS Tool, or The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search.

Award Nexus has a free community membership for flyertalk members, and award email alert with premium membership. ExpertFlyer has email alerts and direct GDS access to select oneworld award inventories, such as AA, QF, and US. ExpertFlyer can also search J class certificate upgrade inventory. With KVS Tool, you can search QF, BA, JL and CX's search engines, in addition to other alliances, on your PC (Mac / Linux with CrossOver). You can also set up an alert via The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search. This tool will automatically search on QF for your alert once per day with a free account and four times per day with a paid account.

N.B. With all of the above tools, it is best to search one segment at a time. Most oneworld search engines have difficulty marrying segments.

For route searching with itinerary information, use the interactive oneworld map and timetable.

For searching Intra-North America availability, the best tool is AA.com. Unlike the other oneworld engines, AA is pretty good at marrying segments, so you can search origin to destination.

Regarding availability, the strategy that has been most effective for people looking to book award travel on oneworld is to start searching right at 330 days prior to departure. This is generally when availability is at its best. After that, availability tends to be sporadic until starting 8 weeks prior to departure where some airlines open up availability, and will vary all the way up until the day of departure.

If you're having trouble finding availability, it may be best to look at alternate airports (JL, for example, serves SAN, YVR, and BOS, in addition to the larger markets of SFO, LAX, YYZ, ORD, and JFK).

(N.B. Although US was not adding fuel surcharges to awards, there are reports that they have started doing this for awards containing BA flights.) With the exception of BA & IB, no oneworld carriers require you to pay a fuel surcharge for awards. With BA, be aware that you may have to pay both a fuel surcharge as well as the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax for intercontinental J and F flights out of UK. These fees vary with class of service and length of flight and are determined by BA; the Air Passenger Duty (see specific thread) is due for all UK departures not under 24 hour connecting flights. APD applies to coach tickets, too, but at a reduced rate. The fuel /YQ surcharge with IB is generally considered minimal.

Known Problems / Workaround:
  • Dep 00:00AM : Some agents have difficulty finding flights leaving between midnight and 2 AM. This is because the US systems show it leaving the day before. If the agent cannot find it, please ask to look at the day before. > source <
  • LA : Flights put on hold will be cancelled after 24h. Workaround: Issue the ticket immediately. > source <
  • JL : US Rep cannot find available seats. Workaround: "Always have to remind Rep to open JL reservations on a new screen". > source <
  • MH : US Rep cannot find awards in First Class. Workaround: First class needs to be booked in P-cl instead of Z-cl (as on most other OW carriers). > source < booking classes: > KVS <
  • All : If you are booking outbound flights at the US Air 335 day window US Air will often allow you to put your reservation on a longer than 3 day hold to capture the return seats once they open up at T+335. There is a report of this for 30 days here, and FT user beofotch was successful in getting a 13 day hold here. Workaround: Huaca until you get an agent who is competent enough to do this. It may help to act naive and ask for your return flight on your preferred date even if it is after T+335 days. Once they get an error from the computer may be a good time to bring it up.

Fixed Problems:
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 645 HKG-DOH. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier (CMB/DXB/...?)... > source < > fixed <
    > fixed <
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 640 DOH-HKG. They admit, the flight exists, but are unable to book <source>. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier
    > fixed <
  • BA/Comair : US rep could not see / or unable to book intra-South Africa flights in BA flight number operated by Comair despite AA treats Comair a full fledged oneworld member under BA, in the same context as KA under CX. Only one reported success booking - poster reported agent had trouble at first but on consulting a supervisor was told "where to look"; the agent did not give any further information. Most everyone else reported unable to book Comair flights.
    > fixed <
  • IB : Flights will be cancelled after ticket issued. Workaround: None yet... > source <
    > fixed <
Print Wikipost

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
MPM JFK-SYD is 14993 I believe.

Your planned routing is easily within that. You can stop in Hong Kong no problems - it's a common routing USA-HKG-Australia.

Mileage will be 140K for F.
Beautiful. I suppose I better go ahead and book this before things merge with AA. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:21 am

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knows the answer to this. DH has 135k miles in his account and I have 85k. We both need 110k each to book two business class awards.

Would we be able to book two business class awards since combined we have the 220k needed? Or is that impossible?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ang2383
Would we be able to book two business class awards since combined we have the 220k needed? Or is that impossible?
It's impossible. You need 110k miles in each account. You would need to spend cash to transfer miles (a penny a mile + fee).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's impossible. You need 110k miles in each account. You would need to spend cash to transfer miles (a penny a mile + fee).
Thanks for your quick response! ^
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: S* Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Managed to hold an F/C ticket for JFK - LHR (stop) - DUS - HKG (destination) - NRT - ORD - JFK however was asked for 125,000 miles + ~$450 in fees for the itinerary. Only have 120,000 miles on DM account which makes it rather hard to obtain 5,000 miles in ~60 hours. If I HUCA would they reprice the required mileage to 120k or I just gotta bite the bullet and purchase additional miles? Thank you
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by bnatrotter
Managed to hold an F/C ticket for JFK - LHR (stop) - DUS - HKG (destination) - NRT - ORD - JFK however was asked for 125,000 miles + ~$450 in fees for the itinerary. Only have 120,000 miles on DM account which makes it rather hard to obtain 5,000 miles in ~60 hours. If I HUCA would they reprice the required mileage to 120k or I just gotta bite the bullet and purchase additional miles? Thank you
if it's been to the rates desk and they want 125 it's likely that will be the quote that will stick. You'd need to buy the extra 5k.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: S* Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
if it's been to the rates desk and they want 125 it's likely that will be the quote that will stick. You'd need to buy the extra 5k.
Just changed my hkg-pvg-Nrt segment to hkg-kix/itm-nrt, and the repriced mileage magically dropped to 120k. It's gonna be a fun trip
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
Originally Posted by bnatrotter
Just changed my hkg-pvg-Nrt segment to hkg-kix/itm-nrt, and the repriced mileage magically dropped to 120k. It's gonna be a fun trip
well done !^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Tax breakdown on award ticket

Booked my first USDM award but the taxes seem incredibly high.
Routing is HKG-KIX-LAX-DFW-LAX-NRT-HKG in biz @ 110k.

http://flyora.com/usdm_tax.jpg

Anyone know what 'transportation tax' is and why so much on an award ticket?

Last edited by d00t; Mar 2, 2015 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Must be a mistake..... call again.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I need help with options here. I used to figure out a lot with *A but with OW I am still lost.

Trying to get from CLT to (in order of preference): LJU, ZAG, GRZ, PUY in coach for 3 people. Obviously avoiding BA due to fuel surcharge (at least on TATL part).

I am looking for 2 weeks at destination for 3 people in coach in September/October timeframe.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 pm

Thanks! eponymous_coward

Question...

If I book my USDM award flight starts from Seattle, will I be able to make route change after the AA/US merge? With the same Origin (Seattle), can I add a transfer to LAX and connect to LHR then AMS?

I know under USDM award, we cannot make any changes to the route once the flight is ticketed. However, with AA award flight, as long as the origins and destination is the same, we are allowed to make changes (please correct me if I'm wrong)? Will my ticketed USDM award flight become AA award flight hence qualify the change rule?

If not possible, I'll use my BA avio points to book the SEA-LAX segment and book my USDM flight from LAX->LHR->AMS...so a RT SEA->LAX will cost me 15,000 avio points, correct?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
At best you're looking at one F flight out of three longhaul flights (with good chunks of time spent in US or AA domestic F) because of your choice of origin, stopover and destination. Is your goal saving the most cash possible on your redemption, flying to the specific destinations you have chosen, or maximizing time spent in longhaul F? I would probably look at changing things around if your goal is maximzing the time in F spent on the redemption (as I suggested, starting your trip somewhere other than SEA would help a lot, even if it was a cheap positioning flight to SFO/LAX, unless you don't mind paying the extra dosh for the BA nonstop to LHR).

Last edited by apple1122; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For award tickets AA has the rule that travel needs to be completed within 1 year of ticket issuance
Yes, but this is not a problem since AA awards are all one-way. Also, if you have a ticketed AA award and need to change the dates to be beyond a year from original ticketing, AA will reinstate the award and then re-pull the miles and re-issue the ticket, without needing to cancel any flights that you want to keep. This of course would not be an option for an award booked now via US that needed to be changed post merger, since those awards won't exist any more and thus can't be re-pulled.

Originally Posted by apple1122
Does anyone know when will First/Business class availability for Europe route opens up for Jan 2016? I don't see any availability for AA/US and I want to book the award ticket before the AA/US complete its merger.....
I very recently checked this, and found a few dates in January that have F awards into and out of DFW. Nothing for LAX.

Originally Posted by ang2383
DH has 135k miles in his account and I have 85k. We both need 110k each to book two business class awards.

Would we be able to book two business class awards since combined we have the 220k needed?
While you can't combine, if you buy miles by tomorrow, you can get a nice bonus depending on how many you buy. If you are thinking of buying any, you might consider buying 75k, which comes with a 30k bonus for a total of 105k at a cost of just about 2 cents per mile.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by apple1122
If I book my USDM award flight starts from Seattle, will I be able to make route change after the AA/US merge? With the same Origin (Seattle), can I add a transfer to LAX and connect to LHR then AMS?

I know under USDM award, we cannot make any changes to the route once the flight is ticketed. However, with AA award flight, as long as the origins and destination is the same, we are allowed to make changes (please correct me if I'm wrong)? Will my ticketed USDM award flight become AA award flight hence qualify the change rule?
No one can say for sure, but I would expect normal AA rules for changes to apply, but at the same time, I'd try hard to avoid making anything other than date/time/carrier changes for an award that includes something not permitted by AA, such as a stop or a crazy routing.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
I've called US Airways 8 times over the past 3 days and on each occasion I get "we want to help you but our call volume is high....call back later".

Is there an easy way to get to talk to a rep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.