Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKI POST: Using US Dividend Miles for oneworld Award Flights
As further details become available, please fill in this wikipost.

N.B. Booking opportunities for new Dividend Miles awards of all kinds ended 11:59 PM Wednesday, 25 March 2015. Please continue using this thread for trips booked or in progress through 24 March 2016.

Changes on USDM oneworld award tickets

This is the only official statement about changing issued USDM award tickets:

If I need to make changes to a Dividend Miles award reservation, which program’s rules will apply?

Minor changes such as date/time can be made provided seats are available without requiring a new award to be claimed. More substantive changes such as changes to stopovers or origin/destination may result in the need to reinstate the previously claimed Dividend Miles award, then claiming a new AAdvantage award under the existing AAdvantage program rules.
To make a change on a USDM ticket, you need to get an agent that is trained to use the US reservation system.
The old membership rules do 'generally' still appy to USDM tickets.

For awards ticketed / reticketed on 001- ticket stock, go to the AA Refunds site with your ticket number at hand (unsure if it works with 037- stock at this time)to:
  • Print a receipt with ticket number (instead of Request a refund)
  • See total fees, taxes, etc. attached to your ticket
  • See applicable detailed fare rules
  • Request a refund (may not be useful for awards)
(Go here to print in flight purchase receipts)
Some experiences about changes to tickets, reported by members:
  • Some were able to change their ticket without beeing charged the USD 150.- changing fee.
  • No chance to change a ticket after the first flight segment has been flown.

Old stuff

oneworld member airlines - airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines (Sibir), SriLankan Airlines, TAM Airlines, US Airways and their affiliates.

Award Chart for oneworld awards using US Dividend Miles:
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...wardtravel.pdf

You can use the American Airlines, British Airways, JAL, or Qantas sites to search for oneworld award inventory. AA and QF also allows you to search for award inventory using a handy 30 day calendar view. However, availability on the calendar is dependent on site coverage (e.g. QF does not include JL or MH, AA does not include CX and others). Also, the calendar view may not be completely accurate on all partners, so use it as a guide but do not rely on it fully.

One of the easiest ways to search for oneworld availability is through the use of an outside tool such as Award Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS Tool, or The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search.

Award Nexus has a free community membership for flyertalk members, and award email alert with premium membership. ExpertFlyer has email alerts and direct GDS access to select oneworld award inventories, such as AA, QF, and US. ExpertFlyer can also search J class certificate upgrade inventory. With KVS Tool, you can search QF, BA, JL and CX's search engines, in addition to other alliances, on your PC (Mac / Linux with CrossOver). You can also set up an alert via The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search. This tool will automatically search on QF for your alert once per day with a free account and four times per day with a paid account.

N.B. With all of the above tools, it is best to search one segment at a time. Most oneworld search engines have difficulty marrying segments.

For route searching with itinerary information, use the interactive oneworld map and timetable.

For searching Intra-North America availability, the best tool is AA.com. Unlike the other oneworld engines, AA is pretty good at marrying segments, so you can search origin to destination.

Regarding availability, the strategy that has been most effective for people looking to book award travel on oneworld is to start searching right at 330 days prior to departure. This is generally when availability is at its best. After that, availability tends to be sporadic until starting 8 weeks prior to departure where some airlines open up availability, and will vary all the way up until the day of departure.

If you're having trouble finding availability, it may be best to look at alternate airports (JL, for example, serves SAN, YVR, and BOS, in addition to the larger markets of SFO, LAX, YYZ, ORD, and JFK).

(N.B. Although US was not adding fuel surcharges to awards, there are reports that they have started doing this for awards containing BA flights.) With the exception of BA & IB, no oneworld carriers require you to pay a fuel surcharge for awards. With BA, be aware that you may have to pay both a fuel surcharge as well as the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax for intercontinental J and F flights out of UK. These fees vary with class of service and length of flight and are determined by BA; the Air Passenger Duty (see specific thread) is due for all UK departures not under 24 hour connecting flights. APD applies to coach tickets, too, but at a reduced rate. The fuel /YQ surcharge with IB is generally considered minimal.

Known Problems / Workaround:
  • Dep 00:00AM : Some agents have difficulty finding flights leaving between midnight and 2 AM. This is because the US systems show it leaving the day before. If the agent cannot find it, please ask to look at the day before. > source <
  • LA : Flights put on hold will be cancelled after 24h. Workaround: Issue the ticket immediately. > source <
  • JL : US Rep cannot find available seats. Workaround: "Always have to remind Rep to open JL reservations on a new screen". > source <
  • MH : US Rep cannot find awards in First Class. Workaround: First class needs to be booked in P-cl instead of Z-cl (as on most other OW carriers). > source < booking classes: > KVS <
  • All : If you are booking outbound flights at the US Air 335 day window US Air will often allow you to put your reservation on a longer than 3 day hold to capture the return seats once they open up at T+335. There is a report of this for 30 days here, and FT user beofotch was successful in getting a 13 day hold here. Workaround: Huaca until you get an agent who is competent enough to do this. It may help to act naive and ask for your return flight on your preferred date even if it is after T+335 days. Once they get an error from the computer may be a good time to bring it up.

Fixed Problems:
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 645 HKG-DOH. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier (CMB/DXB/...?)... > source < > fixed <
    > fixed <
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 640 DOH-HKG. They admit, the flight exists, but are unable to book <source>. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier
    > fixed <
  • BA/Comair : US rep could not see / or unable to book intra-South Africa flights in BA flight number operated by Comair despite AA treats Comair a full fledged oneworld member under BA, in the same context as KA under CX. Only one reported success booking - poster reported agent had trouble at first but on consulting a supervisor was told "where to look"; the agent did not give any further information. Most everyone else reported unable to book Comair flights.
    > fixed <
  • IB : Flights will be cancelled after ticket issued. Workaround: None yet... > source <
    > fixed <
Print Wikipost

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Booked SJU-MIA-PHL-DOH-KUL out bound
Return KUL-HKG-LHR(stop over)-IAD-CLT-MIA-SJU

Agent was ready to issue, but then said supervisor said too many segments, 10 here, only 8 allowed, so she can't issue ticket as booked

Question for the pros: Are they quite strict with the only 8 segments rule?
Is it worth HUACA or will they have noted this in the PNR so no dice?
They tend to be strict if it looks like you're loading up on mileage and "maximizing" the award (which you kind of are, this isn't exactly the most direct routing).

Let me guess, you're going to mysteriously "miss" that final MIA-SJU flight? (AKA "getting a break on a N. America-S. Asia award by starting in the Caribbean and not flying the final segment")
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:00 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Booked SJU-MIA-PHL-DOH-KUL out bound
Return KUL-HKG-LHR(stop over)-IAD-CLT-MIA-SJU

Agent was ready to issue, but then said supervisor said too many segments, 10 here, only 8 allowed, so she can't issue ticket as booked

Question for the pros: Are they quite strict with the only 8 segments rule?
Is it worth HUACA or will they have noted this in the PNR so no dice?
Are all the domestic legs necessary? Worth at least a couple HUACA attempts if so.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They tend to be strict if it looks like you're loading up on mileage and "maximizing" the award (which you kind of are, this isn't exactly the most direct routing).

Let me guess, you're going to mysteriously "miss" that final MIA-SJU flight? (AKA "getting a break on a N. America-S. Asia award by starting in the Caribbean and not flying the final segment")
Ha ha!! Not really. Friend lives in Saint Croix, US Virgin Islands, so is actually starting and ending the trip in SJU!!!. His first Asia trip, and I was trying to get him to spend a day in HKG as well as DOH. He wants to stop over in LHR, but the problem I have is can't find LHR to US eastcoast flights in J other than the LHR-IAD I got, and from WAS no direct flights to SJU so adds three more segments. CSR suggested starting and ending in MIA, but then I would end up paying 30k more miles (60k for 2 pax) to redeem or $ to buy the SJU-MIA-SJU tickets!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by jlars77
Are all the domestic legs necessary? Worth at least a couple HUACA attempts if so.
Predicted by only LHR to east coast flight available being to IAD. From IAD to SJU has to have one or more likely two connections. Flying PHL to SJU would be single flight, but then IAD to PHL would count as a stop over.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ha ha!! Not really. Friend lives in Saint Croix, US Virgin Islands, so is actually starting and ending the trip in SJU!!!. His first Asia trip, and I was trying to get him to spend a day in HKG as well as DOH. He wants to stop over in LHR, but the problem I have is can't find LHR to US eastcoast flights in J other than the LHR-IAD I got, and from WAS no direct flights to SJU so adds three more segments. CSR suggested starting and ending in MIA, but then I would end up paying 30k more miles (60k for 2 pax) to redeem or $ to buy the SJU-MIA-SJU tickets!
Well, if you're not willing to modify the itinerary at all, I suppose your choice would be play the HUACA game.

There are some obvious ways to cut segments and still get your stopover, like KUL-LHR(stop)-MAD/BCN/CDG-MIA-SJU... or connect into JFK/DFW/ORD and not fly BA, or fly a TATL segment in Y.

IMO a bunch of domestic flights on short hops (IAD-CLT-MIA) don't exactly make up for getting to fly BA J on a short TATL, unless you really enjoy plane flights. That's something like 3-4 extra hours over connecting directly to SJU from your US port of entry.

Predicted by only LHR to east coast flight available being to IAD. From IAD to SJU has to have one or more likely two connections. Flying PHL to SJU would be single flight, but then IAD to PHL would count as a stop over.
Huh? Flying into IAD and departing out of PHL in the middle of the trip is a land segment, and isn't allowed on US awards. IAD and PHL are not co-terminals like LGA and JFK...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 22, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Huh? Flying into IAD and departing out of PHL in the middle of the trip is a land segment, and isn't allowed on US awards. IAD and PHL are not co-terminals like LGA and JFK...
Sorry, I meant making own arrangements between IAD and PHL would count as open jaw.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Sorry, I meant making own arrangements between IAD and PHL would count as open jaw.
You can't have an open jaw in the middle of a trip - it then counts as both an open jaw and a stopover. And you can only have one.

You'll find out fairly quickly if agents have left notes in a PNR. You'll get the same answer.

The only alternative if you want to give it another go it to completely cancel the itinerary, and start again (new agent).

8 segments is a good rule, 9 or 10 more commonly allowed where you have necessary domestic USA connections.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you want to stopover, or have an open jaw, those must be included in your ticket when you claim your award.
This rule is not stated on the US web site and seems like a bad idea for everyone. Changing one segment is much better value for them than to cancel and totally re-issue for the same revenue. Thankfully, this rule is not well enforced. I made a date change on an itinerary which created a stopover.

it's safe to assume 4+4 segments (4 outbound and 4 return) won't raise any flags.

If you go over that, particularly if you don't have any domestic USA connections, you might get flagged. But it's up to the agent.
I booked a 3+5 segment itinerary with no trouble at all a while back. Looks like 8 is the magic number, but I'm not sure they care whether it's split 4+4.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kremmen
This rule is not stated on the US web site and seems like a bad idea for everyone. Changing one segment is much better value for them than to cancel and totally re-issue for the same revenue. Thankfully, this rule is not well enforced. I made a date change on an itinerary which created a stopover.

I booked a 3+5 segment itinerary with no trouble at all a while back. Looks like 8 is the magic number, but I'm not sure they care whether it's split 4+4.
it's actually a written rule... under the stopover section of the membership guide.

Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or for multi-city travel.
Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel.
Stopovers must be included in the reservation when you book. You may not add a stopover once an award has been ticketed.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
it's actually a written rule... under the stopover section of the membership guide.
Brilliant. Not under "Change Rules" where I'd expect it. Still a crazy rule.

Speaking of rules, another agent recently told me that I couldn't book an itinerary with a 30-day stopover in it, because that was "too long". She didn't offer any details as to how long it could be, but was sure I'd not had a stopover that long before. Admitting that I hadn't, she felt even more sure she was right, so I didn't stay on the line to pursue it.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Brilliant. Not under "Change Rules" where I'd expect it. Still a crazy rule.
This rule make sense. Airport / Country taxes differ if you just connect at an airport of if you make a stopover there... Just think about the UK APD tax...

Once a ticket is issued, taxes cannot be changed or added on it... In such a case, the ticket needs to be recalculated and reissued.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Datapoint. Ended up booking SJU-PHL-DOH-KUL out, return KUL-HKG-LHR-NYC stopover, then NYC-MIA-SJU. Eight segments, fare desk apparently checked MPM but said it was fine. The agent comments about too many segments were recorded by her in the PNR, so HUACA again could not have helped and I was happy to rationalise the itinerary
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Datapoint. Ended up booking SJU-PHL-DOH-KUL out, return KUL-HKG-LHR-NYC stopover, then NYC-MIA-SJU. Eight segments, fare desk apparently checked MPM but said it was fine. The agent comments about too many segments were recorded by her in the PNR, so HUACA again could not have helped and I was happy to rationalise the itinerary
I have a 10 segment SJU-HND (KUL stopover), and they also checked MPM, but there was zero pushback on number of segments. As always YMMV
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I have a 10 segment SJU-HND (KUL stopover), and they also checked MPM, but there was zero pushback on number of segments. As always YMMV
The first agent noted the "too many segments" observation in the record, and so when I called again, the second agent saw and and repeated the mantra. Was too exhausted to try HUACA or to book the itinerary again from scratch with another agent, so just booked the simpler itinerary.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
This rule make sense. Airport / Country taxes differ if you just connect at an airport of if you make a stopover there... Just think about the UK APD tax...
Taxes can change if you change any city, but that is allowed. Recalculating and reissuing is a standard part of making a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.