Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/US codeshares not available for GSA City Pairs (US gov't travel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

If you are a US gov't traveler, be aware that since the two airlines are still operating as separate entities, you cannot book a codeshare on a route operated by the other airline. My travel agency that we have to use informed me that I could not book a AA codeshare on a route that US has been awarded.

You can search the current list of city pairs here.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
In limited experience thus far, I have not run into this issue directly. I have found that the codes shares tended to be more expensive, thus I didn't pick them, but they were not "un-bookable."

Safe Travels
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
AA and US actually have only a few GSA city pairs. In fact, from here in Korea, DL has just about all flights to anywhere (DRAT!), even to DFW! I hope the combined AA/US is more aggressive for FY2015.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by relangford
AA and US actually have only a few GSA city pairs. In fact, from here in Korea, DL has just about all flights to anywhere (DRAT!), even to DFW! I hope the combined AA/US is more aggressive for FY2015.
I have flown on a GSA ticket many times to Pusan and back. I had to select JAL to NRT then AA to wherever in the US and vice versa. I have done it as recent as 5 months ago.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
In limited experience thus far, I have not run into this issue directly. I have found that the codes shares tended to be more expensive, thus I didn't pick them, but they were not "un-bookable."

Safe Travels
You're correct, I should have written it better. The code shares would not be available at the contract fare price. Choosing one would require some more paperwork for the justification of the higher price.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:12 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You can NEVER book a codeshare when using a GSA contracted carrier. You have to book with the carrier that has the contract, regardless of whose metal the flight is on.

In some cases, an airline will bid for a route that it does not operate itself, but rather has its code on as a codeshare. In those cases, you still have to book with the carrier that has the contract.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Here's the GSA Code Share Fact Sheet: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103887
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
You can NEVER book a codeshare when using a GSA contracted carrier. You have to book with the carrier that has the contract, regardless of whose metal the flight is on.

In some cases, an airline will bid for a route that it does not operate itself, but rather has its code on as a codeshare. In those cases, you still have to book with the carrier that has the contract.
Much better worded than I wrote. That's how I got it done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.