Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nkrijeka
Any pointers on what is the best seat in J on these birds? Have CDG round-trip (flights 45/46) coming up in May. Wondering if row 2 has a bit more space (especially foot space since, from a flying perspective, I'm an unfortunate 6'5 with size 15 feet).
Plenty of pointers in the thread linked to in the wiki above.

Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Whole lotta "movement" reported, however, the most recent fleet list-- with fresh data 2 days old-- still shows no change at this time: 14 active CIP, 43 active non-CIP.
Its' now 15/42. And 347, which I believe is CIP, doesn't appear to be in service right now, so isn't part of those totals.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sensei
Its' now 15/42. And 347, which I believe is CIP, doesn't appear to be in service right now, so isn't part of those totals.
Indeed, now showing 15 new/ 42 old, N396AN being the latest addition.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Its probably in here somewhere ( am still searching ), any suggestions/or must-avoid seats on this new 767 config? JUST had an euipment swap to it, and can't find the info on the usual suspect seat sites yet.

(wouldnt want to chose a window seat that doesnt have a window, for example)
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skye1
Its probably in here somewhere ( am still searching ), any suggestions/or must-avoid seats on this new 767 config? JUST had an euipment swap to it, and can't find the info on the usual suspect seat sites yet.

(wouldnt want to chose a window seat that doesnt have a window, for example)
In the wiki, there's a link to this thread: 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread)

Some purely seat posts have relocated there.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:24 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
In the wiki, there's a link to this thread: 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread)

Thanks. Saw that, scrolling thru all the "it seems....", "there is a rumor"..."I think that"..... signal vs. noise stuff to get to the facts.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skye1
Thanks. Saw that, scrolling thru all the "it seems....", "there is a rumor"..."I think that"..... signal vs. noise stuff to get to the facts.
These are fairly new birds and there aren't many of them, so few actual experiences to date reported. But there are a few in all the noise, and there's a seat diagram in the wiki with some links.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

These are fairly new birds and there aren't many of them, so few actual experiences to date reported. But there are a few in all the noise, and there's a seat diagram in the wiki with some links.
As I have posted many times, window seats alternate (as do all) table on left seat on right then the opposite. Even rows have seat by window and table by aisle. Do not choose odd row unless you wnat to be hit by every flight attendant walking aisles (they are narrower). Otherwise did not see much difference. Bulkheads do not look compromised (like 300 ngbc and first 200.) had CIP on 98 ORd-LhR mid Jan after they canceled 90.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjlon
As I have posted many times, window seats alternate (as do all) table on left seat on right then the opposite. Even rows have seat by window and table by aisle. Do not choose odd row unless you wnat to be hit by every flight attendant walking aisles (they are narrower). Otherwise did not see much difference. Bulkheads do not look compromised (like 300 ngbc and first 200.) had CIP on 98 ORd-LhR mid Jan after they canceled 90.
I've seen and read those posts. I think it's well worth knowing, because even from seat charts it looks like sitting in odd numbered row window seats folks are asking to get bushwhacked by a careless passenger with a carryon, not to mention FAs and pax heading to the lavatories.

The middle seats look like they're a choice between the seats that are well isolated from the aisles, or those that expose one to aisle traffic. A couple flying in a middlevseatpair will expose one to aisle traffic - I'd choose an odd seat pair, because the left aisle gets more traffic normally.

And SeatGuru's seat chart is next to useless.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:11 pm
Suspended

I've seen and read those posts. I think it's well worth knowing, because even from seat charts it looks like sitting in odd numbered row window seats folks are asking to get bushwhacked by a careless passenger with a carryon, not to mention FAs and pax heading to the lavatories.

The middle seats look like they're a choice between the seats that are well isolated from the aisles, or those that expose one to aisle traffic.

And SeatGuru's seat chart is next to useless.
I was surprised how much narrower the aisles were. I do not exaggerate every time a flight attendant walked the aisle during the flight they banged into me and woke me up.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Updated CIP routes in Wiki

I spent a little time updating the CIP routes based on the currently published schedule (effective 8FEB15). It seems there are frequent schedule changes right now and for many routes I have noticed that the actual schedule is not published past 6MAY15 and then reverts to a dummy schedule. So when you see that date that may or may not mean much.

Some interesting observations:
  • Both MIA-BOG and MIA-VCP currently see daily CIP service. MIA-MXP does not, which brings into question how focused AA currently is on using the reconfigured aircraft on translantic routes.
  • Both MIA-SFO (from 12FEB15) and MIA-MCO (from 29MAR15) currently have daily CIP service scheduled until 6MAY15. It will be interesting to see whether this actually happens and for how long.
  • The daily ORD-CDG CIP service has yet to materialize.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying to Paris in a few months and have the option of connecting through CLT on US Airways and taking their 330 in Envoy class to CDG. The other option is connecting through MIA on AA in business on the new 763 seats.

Any advice on which product is better? I've never flown US internationally and haven't been on an upgraded 763 so not sure which one to choose.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Nick90274
Flying to Paris in a few months and have the option of connecting through CLT on US Airways and taking their 330 in Envoy class to CDG. The other option is connecting through MIA on AA in business on the new 763 seats.

Any advice on which product is better? I've never flown US internationally and haven't been on an upgraded 763 so not sure which one to choose.
Now that both soft products are equally bad, the A330 via CLT is the better option. The seat is similar to what is found on the AA 77W. The AA 767 is similar to what is found on the DL 767. Seats are narrow and not very comfortable in my opinion. The A330 is definitely the better option.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent a little time updating the CIP routes based on the currently published schedule (effective 8FEB15)
Thanks!

• Both MIA-SFO (from 12FEB15) and MIA-MCO (from 29MAR15) currently have daily CIP service scheduled until 6MAY15. It will be interesting to see whether this actually happens and for how long.
The MIA-SFO is a South America airframe that arrives MIA in the early morning, flies to SFO, returns to MIA, and goes on to an evening South America departure. As long as the underlying South America flight(s) have the new configuration, SFO will get it as a byproduct.

And that's ^, especially since the other 2 flights are run with the inappropriate short-haul 757/738s configuration, notwithstanding a stage length of up to 6:33 (18 minutes longer than BOS-LHR).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:33 am

I would advise against going through MIA during hurricane season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.