FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1557700-ba-seat-selection-issues-aa-flyers-charges-seating-award-etc.html)

TonyBurr Jan 5, 20 8:49 pm

Pay for Seats on BA? AA award or paid AA ticket

I am purchasing a ticket through AA but flown on BA metal, EWR-LHR-FCO. The first segment is in Premium Economy. If I was flying AA metal I could get seats for free. BA charges for seats if booked on their website. Would I be eligible for free seats since it is an AA ticket if I try to get seats from BA?

Microwave Jan 5, 20 8:49 pm

Pre-2020 posts on this topic have been hived off into an archive here.

~Moderator

jmj9905 Jan 5, 20 8:51 pm

I think you have to be BA/Ow premium flyer to get the seats for free.

arollins Jan 5, 20 8:51 pm

I've you have status, you could select seats free of charge, otherwise wait 7 days prior and select for free.
You could ask AA to assign you seats as well.

TonyBurr Jan 5, 20 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 31913305)
I

So after booking, I could call AA and ask them to get seats, and there would not be a charge since I booked through AA? No AA status here.

AndyAA Jan 5, 20 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr (Post 31913327)
So after booking, I could call AA and ask them to get seats, and there would not be a charge since I booked through AA? No AA status here.

Without status, your choices are either to pay BA for seat selections now, or wait to select seats when check in opens for free.

ijgordon Jan 5, 20 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 31913305)
I've you have status, you could select seats free of charge, otherwise wait 7 days prior and select for free.

For a non-elite I believe itís 24 hours in advance. 7 day is for AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby status.

Pretty sure they wonít do it for free.

wrp96 Jan 6, 20 7:37 am

If you are flying BA metal, then you are governed by BA's rules for seat selection. So without status, if you want to select seats earlier than 24 hours before flight time, then you must pay, even in business class. If you call AA, they will just refer you to BA for seat selection.

Often1 Jan 6, 20 9:55 am

Without appropriate OW status, you must pay for seat selection on AA until you hit your window.

He can always try calling AA to see what happens. But, should accept that even if AA does assign seats without fee, that the assignments will not likely stick.

carlosdca Jan 6, 20 12:23 pm

BA does not include seat assignment with PE or Business tickets. Yup.
You will have to wait until check-in time to select a seat.
You can try calling AA but the seat assignment will most likely not stick.

Mwenenzi Jan 6, 20 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr (Post 31913298)
I am purchasing a ticket through AA but flown on BA metal, EWR-LHR-FCO. The first segment is in Premium Economy. If I was flying AA metal I could get seats for free. BA charges for seats if booked on their website. Would I be eligible for free seats since it is an AA ticket if I try to get seats from BA?

Master AA -- BA seat thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...award-etc.html

BA forum thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aa-miles.html

Prospero Jan 6, 20 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr (Post 31913298)

Seat selection is free from the time of booking if you have Oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, or booked in W class on the EWR-LHR sector, and in Y class on the LHR-FCO.

With Oneworld Ruby, free selection kicks in 7 days ahead of the flight.

Otherwise, youíll need to wait until online check in opens.

AChekhovGun Jan 27, 20 4:12 pm

Codeshare - seat refund?

Wondering if I can sneak this one past the BA reps - thoughts?

Originally booked a codeshare BA flight through AA.com. Separately paid BA for non-refundable seat assignments. After an EQ change, I was able to convince AA to let me rebook with no change fees - now on a pure AA flight with no BA codeshare.

Any chance I can get the seat fee refunded as I'm no longer on the BA flight? If I call BA, will they show my flight as "canceled" and not refund me?

Mwenenzi Jan 27, 20 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by AChekhovGun (Post 32001357)
Wondering if I can sneak this one past the BA reps - thoughts?

Originally booked a codeshare BA flight through AA.com. Separately paid BA for non-refundable seat assignments. After an EQ change, I was able to convince AA to let me rebook with no change fees - now on a pure AA flight with no BA codeshare.

Any chance I can get the seat fee refunded as I'm no longer on the BA flight? If I call BA, will they show my flight as "canceled" and not refund me?

If you look in the many seat threads in the BA forum you will see that seat fees are non-refundable. As in your thread
Anyway a question for BA forum as your money is with BA, FT does not have your money. Phone BA and ask

nerd Feb 15, 20 4:46 pm

AA Marketed 'Main Cabin' on BA: Pay for seats. What Else?

I have booked JFK-LHR/EDI-LHR-JFK purchased on AA.com

1) JFK-LHR is codeshare on BA metal
2) EDI-LHR-JFK are BA flights

I purchased Main Cabin - AA says I have the ability to choose my seats. BA says that even though I have the ability, I still have to pay extra for advance seat assignments. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Main Cabin includes checked bag -- Will there be any additional fees for the bag, the way there are with the seat assignment?

Should I cancel and book AA Basic Economy, and then suck it up and pay BA's baggage fee and seat assignment fee (which I'd be paying anyway in order to get a seat assigned outside the 24h window)?

Thanks in advance.