Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I booked my BA flight sometime back when I was AA Gold. T-7 I had actually hit AA Plat. Either way, the system didn't recognize my status, and trying to choose a seat online always incurred a charge.

In any case, I actually tweeted the BA team through direct message. The back and forth took a little while (like 3+ days, partly my fault - I was flying and didn't see the messages and respond in a timely manner). Long story short, if you hate waiting on the phone, you can get a seat by tweeting them. In the second tweet, they asked for the following information:
PNR
Email
DoB

Give your seat preference as well to save on some back and forth.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If status change occurs or is not picked up, the quickest and easiest way to get it fixed is simply to remove the number and add ti back in again. This can be done in very little time online at the Finnair manage booking page

If at 7 days prior to departure it doesn't allow seat selection, then removing and re-adding is what I would suggest ; prior to that just wait
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Process for getting upper deck seats on BA 747

I am an AA plat and just used AA miles for a trip in J from LHR to Philadelphia with my 10 year old son. I wanted him to get a ride in the upper deck before these beauties disappear. How can I go about getting preassigned seats on the upper deck? When I booked, all the AA website said was to call BA and of course there was no phone number listed.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
First thing is to call AA and get the BA 6-digit alpha-numeric booking number for your reservation (I assume at this time you only have the booking from AA which will show the AA 6 letter booking number).
Then go on BA website, go to Manage My Booking and you should be able to select your seats.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can probably use the AA PNR on the BA MMB page. That generally has generated the BA PNR, which I've written down and used for the rest of the process.

We've merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by hxhbk
First thing is to call AA and get the BA 6-digit alpha-numeric booking number for your reservation (I assume at this time you only have the booking from AA which will show the AA 6 letter booking number).
Then go on BA website, go to Manage My Booking and you should be able to select your seats.
Worked perfectly. Managed to snag the upper deck. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
AA platinum on BA - baggage and seat fees?

Hey folks!
I'm pretty sure I know this isn't a great idea...but wanted to bounce it off this group. (Similar to a post a made in Other European forum about options with TAP).

3 Days ago I booked a fairly cheap fare from IAD - GVA through a travel site. I fly AA almost exclusively, but their fare, at the time, was more than triple. What I didn't think about with TAP (because I take it for granted with my AA status) was the extras: paying to pick seats, paying for baggage, etc.

Now, AA (sold as a BA ticket) have a better routing at a cheaper price than I paid on TAP.

If I add up the fees for seats and baggage on TAP, plus the very small refund I'd get from canceling, it is the same price as two new tickets on BA.

Am I correct that, as a platinum AA flyer, I can select seats for me and my dad (who doesn't have status but has the AA credit card)? Also I'll be checking two bags and he'll be checking one. Am I correct that I'll be allowed two bags and because of his credit card he'll be allowed on, sans fee?

If that's true....then I think I'd rather spend my money on two new tickets than get fee'ed to death with TAP. Is that insane?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Hey folks!
I'm pretty sure I know this isn't a great idea...but wanted to bounce it off this group. (Similar to a post a made in Other European forum about options with TAP).

3 Days ago I booked a fairly cheap fare from IAD - GVA through a travel site. I fly AA almost exclusively, but their fare, at the time, was more than triple. What I didn't think about with TAP (because I take it for granted with my AA status) was the extras: paying to pick seats, paying for baggage, etc.

Now, AA (sold as a BA ticket) have a better routing at a cheaper price than I paid on TAP.

If I add up the fees for seats and baggage on TAP, plus the very small refund I'd get from canceling, it is the same price as two new tickets on BA.

Am I correct that, as a platinum AA flyer, I can select seats for me and my dad (who doesn't have status but has the AA credit card)? Also I'll be checking two bags and he'll be checking one. Am I correct that I'll be allowed two bags and because of his credit card he'll be allowed on, sans fee?

If that's true....then I think I'd rather spend my money on two new tickets than get fee'ed to death with TAP. Is that insane?
The bag fees are determined by the operating carrier, so AA's baggage rules would apply. So, yes, if he has he qualifying AA credit card, he will get one bag if flying domestically.
If flying to Europe you don't need an AA credit card or status to get one checked bag, as everyone gets one. If your dad is on the same PNR as you, he would get the same number of bags as you (2)
Additionally, as PLT, you are permitted to bring one guest into the lounge.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 15, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Also, as PLT/OWS you’ll be able to select seats on BA For yourself and for your companion on the same PNR.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
Reserving BA seats (AA Platinum)

I am AA Platinum / Oneworld Saphire. I booked an American codeshared BA flight for myself (revenue) and wife (award):

1) Should I be able to pre-reserve seats (more than 24 hours out) without a fee? (when I try to reserve a seat on the BA website it wants to charge me, but I achieved Platinum status after the reservation was made so maybe it wasn't updated?).
2) If I can pre-reserve without a fee, will they also make a seat assignment for my wife (without charge)?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaG
I am AA Platinum / Oneworld Sapphire. I booked an American codeshared BA flight for myself (revenue) and wife (award):

1) Should I be able to pre-reserve seats (more than 24 hours out) without a fee? (when I try to reserve a seat on the BA website it wants to charge me, but I achieved Platinum status after the reservation was made so maybe it wasn't updated?).
2) If I can pre-reserve without a fee, will they also make a seat assignment for my wife (without charge)?
A common question. Gets asked every 10-14 days or so.

If you did not have status when the reservation was made it will need to refreshed. Remove the status, save and put back in.
What class of travel?
If your wife on the same PNR/ticket?
Does she have status?

BA threads on this topic
Club World seat reservations not free?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
Thanks, but how do you remove and put back in the status, the field with my AA frequent flyer number is not clickable on the BA site. I tried "add a frequent flyer number", but it doesn't give the option to remove my current number. Any hints? I tried calling AA earlier and they weren't helpful.
Wife is on frequent flyer ticket, so different PNR. No status.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaG
Thanks, but how do you remove and put back in the status, the field with my AA frequent flyer number is not clickable on the BA site. I tried "add a frequent flyer number", but it doesn't give the option to remove my current number. Any hints? I tried calling AA earlier and they weren't helpful.
Wife is on frequent flyer ticket, so different PNR. No status.
As the booking is on BA phone BA

Try Royal Jordanian RJ manage my booking. But looks different to when I last used
https://rj.com/en/info-and-tips/seat-select.

QF & QR may also work when you put in the BA pnr

Your wife will have to pay: no option, unless you wait. Look at the BA threads

Master AA thread here (where this thread will get moved to) BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.
Click to open the wiki
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As the booking is on BA phone BA

Try Royal Jordanian RJ manage my booking. But looks different to when I last used
https://rj.com/en/info-and-tips/seat-select.

QF & QR may also work when you put in the BA pnr

Your wife will have to pay: no option, unless you wait. Look at the BA threads

Master AA thread here (where this thread will get moved to) BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.
Click to open the wiki
make sure you are using the BA flight locator not the AA locator.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Call BA and have them get you seats.
I have had them even sit the non-Elite on a reward sit next to me.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.