Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Flyers and Seat Selection on British Airways Operated Flights
Link to FlyerTalk British Airways | Executive Club / BAEC forum guide thread with Wikipost: BA Seating Policy Guide

Link to BAEC forum Dashboard, including seating guides for BA aircraft. Please make enquiries regarding BA aircraft seats in the appropriate thread in the BAEC forum, not here in the AA forum, for better response.

Link to britishairways.com page "Choosing your seat" (policies and how to).

Link to BA Speedbird Club (agent site) seat policyFor Country select "Global"; for IATA number, press on "I don't have an IATA"

Code:
The Passenger should be advised

BA will pre-seat the customer subject to availability & seat requests
are never guaranteed and always subject to operational needs

Subsequent seat change

Should an aircraft or configuration change generate an automated
operational seat change that separates the party, the ‘request seat’
process must be initiated again. The travel agent would need to
remove and re-enter the TOGT keyword.
Also from the BA website:

Code:
Members of the Executive Club and other oneworld frequent flyers are able to
reserve seats at different stages, depending on their tier.

Tier Seat selection

Gold/oneworld Emerald Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings,
who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight*.

Silver/oneworld Sapphire Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.

Bronze/oneworld Ruby Free seat selection from seven days before
departurefor everyone in your booking*.

*You must be travelling on the booking (or in the case of Gold Members,
one of the bookings) for these benefits to apply. They apply to British
Airways flights only and are not available on Basic (HBO / hand baggage only)
fares or group rate bookings. Exit row seats are not available to Silver or
Bronze Members on long haul flights until 24 hours before departure.
On some occasions, exit rows seats on short haul flights may not be
available in advance due to operational reasons.
Selecting seats can be done via the BA "Manage My Booking" tool (link) which may recognize your AA PNR (you will need your PNR and last name to log on to MMB). If not, you can get your BA PNR by calling AA, or you can go to the Qantas website, enter your AA PNR and you will be presented with your BA PNR.

Updated 26 Oct 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by dogeye
I have a frustrating situation hope someone can help to clarify. I have a ticket book by an award booking agent/company using my friends AA mile to fly BA metal. I was able to call BA to update my AA FFN on the booking, but they say i need to ask my booking agent for the seat selection. I'm currently AA platinum pro status which I thought i should be able to choose seat for free once my AA number is updated on booking, but it's still charging me fees when using BA "manager my book" page. So my question is for the status to choose seat for free, is it the status of the person/account make the booking, or it should be the status of the person that's actually traveling on the booking. Another question is one leg of this booking, even when i choose pay for the seat, i don't see seat available, all greyed out. Does it mean they oversold or something? or it's normal that it's not showing to me because of my status. Thank you very much in advance.
Sounds like you're the one that's flying? If you're AA PlatPro then you're OW Emerald so you should be able to select your seats for free. When you're on the BAA website looking at your reservation with the BA reference locator (PNR), does it show your AAdvantage number? If it does, sometimes it just takes a day or two to work its way through the system. If it's been that long, then try going to rj.com (Royal Jordanian) and enter your PNR there, and then update your passenger details (carefully) to re-enter your AAdvantage number. Again, give the BA website a few hours and try again.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dogeye
Thank you for the quick response. My friend is using the "award wallet" kind of award tickets booking service helping him search and book the ticket for us so that he doesn't have to the the leg work himself. :-) Does it affect the booking somehow?
I see - not familiar with those.

Regardless, it should not affect the booking and your status is what matters. As matinicus rock said above, ensure that your FF number is showing up correctly.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:23 pm

Yes, I'm flying. It wasn't showing the correct one before, which is why I called earlier (before my posting) to correct it. It's showing the correct AA number now, other than free seat selection not showing. I will wait a day and check back again see if anything changed. Thank you very much for all your help.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I have a situation here that I am looking for some advice on. I booked at flight through AA that has an inter-Europe BA segment with an AA flight number. I booked the ticked about 72 hours ago for a departure on 12/17. Paid business and EXP with AA, so I should be able to select the seat after ticketing. When clicking on the link in by booking, the pop-up tells me I need to contact reservations. After several calls into EXP line, to ask for the BA PNR so I can try to select the seat through BA's site and I have been told that BA has not issued on yet, which means they have not actually ticketed the segment, although the booking shows as ticketed in my bookings. First time, I called was told to wait 24-hours after booking, second time I called, I was told that sometimes it takes 48-hours to get a BA PNR, now the third time I called this morning, I was told by the agent that BA has not processed the ticket due to a booking error and that the ticket needs to be re-issued...BUT...it also needs to be repriced and the difference in fare now its $6,800 more because I have to pay the "today" price of the ticket. I paid $3,464 RT and now the ticket is now over $11,000 because it is less than 7-days out from departure. This was a ... moment and I decided to HUCA.

Before I call back for the fourth time...if I get the same response as I did the last time...I was just curious if anyone has seen a similar issue happen before?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hotshot265
I have a situation here that I am looking for some advice on. I booked at flight through AA that has an inter-Europe BA segment with an AA flight number. I booked the ticked about 72 hours ago for a departure on 12/17. Paid business and EXP with AA, so I should be able to select the seat after ticketing. When clicking on the link in by booking, the pop-up tells me I need to contact reservations. After several calls into EXP line, to ask for the BA PNR so I can try to select the seat through BA's site and I have been told that BA has not issued on yet, which means they have not actually ticketed the segment, although the booking shows as ticketed in my bookings. First time, I called was told to wait 24-hours after booking, second time I called, I was told that sometimes it takes 48-hours to get a BA PNR, now the third time I called this morning, I was told by the agent that BA has not processed the ticket due to a booking error and that the ticket needs to be re-issued...BUT...it also needs to be repriced and the difference in fare now its $6,800 more because I have to pay the "today" price of the ticket. I paid $3,464 RT and now the ticket is now over $11,000 because it is less than 7-days out from departure. This was a ... moment and I decided to HUCA.

Before I call back for the fourth time...if I get the same response as I did the last time...I was just curious if anyone has seen a similar issue happen before?

Thanks!

"Can an airline increase the price of my ticket after I complete the booking process?

"After a ticket is fully purchased – with either money or points – and the transaction is completed, the airline is prohibited from increasing the price of the ticket or requiring the passenger to pay additional money unless the airline provided notice to the consumer of the potential for an increase in a government imposed tax or fee and obtained the consumer’s consent."

Source: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv.../buying-ticket

(Whether your ticket has been "fully purchased," I cannot say. But the screenshot you posted does indicate that your itinerary has been "ticketed." Did you ever receive a ticket number? In any event, if the "booking error" that AA is claiming was AA's fault, it seems to me that it is up to AA to make things right, without additional cost to you.)
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Originally Posted by guv1976
"Can an airline increase the price of my ticket after I complete the booking process?

"After a ticket is fully purchased – with either money or points – and the transaction is completed, the airline is prohibited from increasing the price of the ticket or requiring the passenger to pay additional money unless the airline provided notice to the consumer of the potential for an increase in a government imposed tax or fee and obtained the consumer’s consent."

Source: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv.../buying-ticket

(Whether your ticket has been "fully purchased," I cannot say. But the screenshot you posted does indicate that your itinerary has been "ticketed." Did you ever receive a ticket number? In any event, if the "booking error" that AA is claiming was AA's fault, it seems to me that it is up to AA to make things right, without additional cost to you.)
I do have an AA 001 stock ticket number. As far as I am concerned it is ticketed, and I am not making a voluntary change, so I should not be charged any additional fare. I am going to wait until Monday to call, hoping it is a case of an inexperienced agent on an early Sunday morning.

As a side note I also called BA and after about 45-minutes on the phone yesterday, they can not see anything on the fight I am booked on as having a confirmed ticket. The agent searched the flight by both first and last name and can not find anything.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I do have an AA 001 stock ticket number. As far as I am concerned it is ticketed, and I am not making a voluntary change, so I should not be charged any additional fare. I am going to wait until Monday to call, hoping it is a case of an inexperienced agent on an early Sunday morning.
That sounds promising. Was your credit card charged?

Keep printouts/screenshots of all relevant items, in case you should need to file a DOT complaint eventually.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
That sounds promising. Was your credit card charged?

Keep printouts/screenshots of all relevant items, in case you should need to file a DOT complaint eventually.
Yes my AMEX was charged and the transaction has posted, it’s not a pending charge.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

As a side note I also called BA and after about 45-minutes on the phone yesterday, they can not see anything on the fight I am booked on as having a confirmed ticket. The agent searched the flight by both first and last name and can not find anything.
Did you call on Monday (yesterday) and hopefully got this resolved?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I recently redeemed an AAdvantage award J class for a BA flight JFK-LHR in Q2 2023 and have been unable to get the BA website to recognize Emerald status.

Some background:
1. I opted into the AA Instant Status Pass in early December which provided PlatPro/Emerald through end of March.
2. Around 5 days later I redeemed the award.
3. When I noticed the seat selection was not offered for free by BA.com, I checked rj.com, qatar and finnair. I noticed that rj.com showed two AAdvantage numbers. I called up AA and referenced the unknown AAdvantage number and the agent told me this was a dummy number likely created as part of the Instant Status Pass. However, he also said the booking looks good from their end and the correct FF number is associated with the booking and that this number is Emerald. The agent then pointed me to BA for further resolution.
4. When I spoke with BA, the agent confirmed seeing two AAdvantage numbers. The agent deleted both numbers and reentered the correct AA number. However, the agent told me that my AA number is showing up as a new account with no status and pointed me back to AA
5. Spoke with AA again and the only thing they could tell me was that the flight "was under airport control" so they can't look into seating assignments and that perhaps I just wait until January (seems odd as I thought being under airport control only happened 24-48hrs before the flight?).

Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter...Does the Instant Status Pass status not carry over to Oneworld Partners? Is it because the BA flight date (May) is after the current Instant Status Pass expiration (end-March)? Anything I can tell AA to get this fixed? Unfortunately, I can't use Finnair or other to make amendments and reenter. GIven it is an award, the FF number appears fixed to the booking.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Did you manage to resolve your issue? I have a similar situation. Booked a reservation on BA metal using AA miles. I have Plat Pro status on AA via the Instant Status Pass, which shows correctly on the AA site. BA agent checked the number and said that it does not show OW Emerald.

Originally Posted by bpk6h
I recently redeemed an AAdvantage award J class for a BA flight JFK-LHR in Q2 2023 and have been unable to get the BA website to recognize Emerald status.

Some background:
1. I opted into the AA Instant Status Pass in early December which provided PlatPro/Emerald through end of March.
2. Around 5 days later I redeemed the award.
3. When I noticed the seat selection was not offered for free by BA.com, I checked rj.com, qatar and finnair. I noticed that rj.com showed two AAdvantage numbers. I called up AA and referenced the unknown AAdvantage number and the agent told me this was a dummy number likely created as part of the Instant Status Pass. However, he also said the booking looks good from their end and the correct FF number is associated with the booking and that this number is Emerald. The agent then pointed me to BA for further resolution.
4. When I spoke with BA, the agent confirmed seeing two AAdvantage numbers. The agent deleted both numbers and reentered the correct AA number. However, the agent told me that my AA number is showing up as a new account with no status and pointed me back to AA
5. Spoke with AA again and the only thing they could tell me was that the flight "was under airport control" so they can't look into seating assignments and that perhaps I just wait until January (seems odd as I thought being under airport control only happened 24-48hrs before the flight?).

Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter...Does the Instant Status Pass status not carry over to Oneworld Partners? Is it because the BA flight date (May) is after the current Instant Status Pass expiration (end-March)? Anything I can tell AA to get this fixed? Unfortunately, I can't use Finnair or other to make amendments and reenter. GIven it is an award, the FF number appears fixed to the booking.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Did you manage to resolve your issue? I have a similar situation. Booked a reservation on BA metal using AA miles. I have Plat Pro status on AA via the Instant Status Pass, which shows correctly on the AA site. BA agent checked the number and said that it does not show OW Emerald.
No, unfortunately no resolution. Planned to call AA again after New Year's. Ok, at least I'm not the only one in this boat...clearly an issue on AA's side.
flyersky1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:53 am

I’m also in the same situation as above two folks (instant status match to plat pro but BA system not able to recognize AA status). I was told that AA system takes 2 weeks good is to sync to OW.

If I don’t get this resolved by mid Jan will reach out them (AA and BA) again.
flyersky1 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Does BA charge for seats??

Found a decent price in business class for a summer flight to LHR from LAX. Its all on BA metal but I can code share book on AA. Of course AA will not assign seats. When I went to book on BA, selecting seats added another $350 to the flight. I was going to book on BA and use my AARP discount for an add'l $200 savings. But I checked on AA and I could book for the original price. What I don't know is if AA will assign me seats at N/C. I'm a seat princess, so I don't want middle seats, I want a window. Both flight are on Club suites and every seat has a price cost attached to it. So if I"m going to pay, better to pay on BA, get my exact seat choices, at least as the flights are currently loaded into the schedule than have AA call BA and be told I have to pay. Does anyone know the protocol? thx in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Your profile states that you're EXP. If that's true then you'd get free seat selection at the time of booking. You'd need to select your seats on BA's website using their PNR and not the AA record locator, but seat selection would be free. If you're OW Emerald or Sapphire then you get seat selection at the time of booking. Ruby would get you seat selection seven days out. Otherwise it's at time of check in or else you can pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.