Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Flyers and Seat Selection on British Airways Operated Flights

Link to FlyerTalk British Airways | Executive Club / BAEC forum guide thread with Wikipost: BA Seating Policy Guide

Link to BAEC forum Dashboard, including seating guides for BA aircraft. Please make enquiries regarding BA aircraft seats in the appropriate thread in the BAEC forum, not here in the AA forum, for better response.

Link to britishairways.com page "Choosing your seat" (policies and how to).

Link to BA Speedbird Club (agent site) seat policy
For Country select "Global"; for IATA number, press on "I don't have an IATA"
Code:
The Passenger should be advised

BA will pre-seat the customer subject to availability & seat requests 
 are never guaranteed and always subject to operational needs

Subsequent seat change 

Should an aircraft or configuration change generate an automated 
 operational seat change that separates the party, the request seat 
 process must be initiated again. The travel agent would need to 
 remove and re-enter the TOGT keyword.
Also from the BA website:

Code:
 Members of the Executive Club and other oneworld frequent flyers are able to 
 reserve seats at different stages, depending on their tier.

Tier Seat selection 

Gold/oneworld Emerald Free seat selection from the time of booking
 for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, 
 who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight*. 

Silver/oneworld Sapphire Free seat selection from the time of booking
 for everyone in your booking*. 

Bronze/oneworld Ruby Free seat selection from seven days before 
 departurefor everyone in your booking*. 

*You must be travelling on the booking (or in the case of Gold Members, 
 one of the bookings) for these benefits to apply. They apply to British 
 Airways flights only and are not available on Basic (HBO / hand baggage only) 
 fares or group rate bookings. Exit row seats are not available to Silver or 
 Bronze Members on long haul flights until 24 hours before departure. 
 On some occasions, exit rows seats on short haul flights may not be 
 available in advance due to operational reasons.
Selecting seats can be done via the BA "Manage My Booking" tool (link) which may recognize your AA PNR (you will need your PNR and last name to log on to MMB). If not, you can get your BA PNR by calling AA, or you can go to the Qantas website, enter your AA PNR and you will be presented with your BA PNR.

Updated 26 Oct 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 4, 22, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
TKT hasn't been re-issued.
This may be issue.

That error message is either ticket not yet issued or the wrong booking reference (PNR), realizing there can be multiple BA booking references on a mixed AA/BA itinerary on an AA ticket.
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:36 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tjcxx View Post
This may be issue.

That error message is either ticket not yet issued or the wrong booking reference (PNR), realizing there can be multiple BA booking references on a mixed AA/BA itinerary on an AA ticket.
That's not an error message - that is me replying to a comment that "was there a schedule change, did the ticket need to be re-issued"...
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:37 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It may be nothing more than BA system not allowing seat assigmnents at this time for the flight. If that is the case, then status doesn't matter. Given that you booked an exit row which is around row 10, loss of assignment could be due to movement of where business class ends. If you were in economy, it may be that the exit row is now part of business or one of 1st 3 rows of economy ( 1st 3 rows are blocked on BA CE/ET configurations ) - if in business, that the exit row is now part of economy

Do sites such as EF show the seat map available?
Yes - EF shows the seat map - and, yes, it looks like they have turned off seat assignments for the flight - odd as they were available when I booked the flights and I was able to assign seats for both flights at that time.
Old Mar 5, 22, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
I booked a RT ex-EU on AA as a PPRO. The return in June is JFK-LHR-NCE on BA. When I booked 4 weeks ago I was able to assign seats for both flights. In the last week, the seats for the LHR-NCE leg were unassigned and one is unable to assign seats now for the flight. On BA it shows:

Seat choice available at check-in Online seat selection is currently unavailable, however you can call us to change your seats

Same screen shows seats on the JFK-LHR leg and possible to change seats on that flight.

What gives? I thought OW Emerald were allowed to assign seats at booking (which I did - exit row). If I need to call, will do when I am back in the States next week.
If you have WIFI calling, or can use Skype if you don't, then I would recommend calling the BA reservations number in the US
Skype doesn't charge for toll free calls in the US
I'd rather get seats as soon as I know about a change, rather than wait a week and find out my preferred seating is available.
Old May 29, 22, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
A paid or award flight (not that it should make any difference)?
Try refreshing (remove-add) ffn on Finnair AY manage booking. Works for some
https://www.finnair.com/en/manage
Will this work for an AA award ticket with both AA/BA on the one-way itinerary? Hitting AA Plat next month and wouldn't mind scoring the exit row on the intra-Europe flight.
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA GOLD, National Executive
Hi, Could you update me on the seat selection process as a Gold member on BA? Were you able to select The front row seats free of charge?
Old Jun 12, 22, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Shubham Pokharkar View Post
Hi, Could you update me on the seat selection process as a Gold member on BA? Were you able to select The front row seats free of charge?
If you mean AA Gold (ie Ruby) then no, you would not be eligible to get free exit rows. You may not have access to all seats in the cabin anyway because the BA system is dynamic and "intelligent" and will predominantly keep empty seats next to BA Gold and above/Emerald some for silvers/Sapphire, etc. so people with different status will see different maps of cabin availability.
Old Jun 12, 22, 2:23 am

Thanks for the information!
Old Jun 12, 22, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Hilton
I am AA gold and booked a BA LHR-EWR award flight in business thru AA a week ago. When I log into BA to manage flight, it still tells me seat selection is only available 24hours before deparure (vs the 7 days it should be). Will give it more time to see if its updates. Will update back if I end up having to call BA/AA
Shubham Pokharkar likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by bozzeroni View Post
I am AA gold and booked a BA LHR-EWR award flight in business thru AA a week ago. When I log into BA to manage flight, it still tells me seat selection is only available 24hours before deparure (vs the 7 days it should be). Will give it more time to see if its updates. Will update back if I end up having to call BA/AA
If youre within the seven day window and still have issues, Id call or tweet BA (response times for the latter are very hit or miss). AA likely wont be able to help you out.
Shubham Pokharkar likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 11:02 am

Yes looking forward to the update!
Old Jun 20, 22, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Not just Gold/OWE according to BA itself:

Tier Seat selection

Gold/oneworld Emerald Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight*.
Does anyone know why there is an asterisk after this Gold/OWE rule?

I'm on a separate PNR, rev ticket and wife is on award ticket, both booked through AA website. Does anyone know if I call AA and have them link the two PNR's together, will that allow me to book my wife a free seat on the BA flight? I'm OWE and wife is OWR.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 22, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by matinicus rock View Post
Does anyone know why there is an asterisk after this Gold/OWE rule?

I'm on a separate PNR, rev ticket and wife is on award ticket, both booked through AA website. Does anyone know if I call AA and have them link the two PNR's together, will that allow me to book my wife a free seat on the BA flight? I'm OWE and wife is OWR.

Thanks!
See here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34353336-post6.html
matinicus rock likes this.
Old Jul 28, 22, 6:24 pm

Seat selection on BA flights booked with AA miles

I booked two seats on a BA flight traveling AUS to LHR using my AA miles. It was a non stop so that made the fuel charges somewhat bearable. When I tried to select seats it appears that I wont be able to until 24 hrs prior to departure unless I want to pay extra..
Is this accurate or am I missing something? That is kinda scary to risk on a 9+hr flight where we could end up separated and center seated. Any ideas?
Old Jul 28, 22, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jdugger View Post
I booked two seats on a BA flight traveling AUS to LHR using my AA miles. It was a non stop so that made the fuel charges somewhat bearable. When I tried to select seats it appears that I wont be able to until 24 hrs prior to departure unless I want to pay extra..
Is this accurate or am I missing something? That is kinda scary to risk on a 9+hr flight where we could end up separated and center seated. Any ideas?
If you are not OWE or traveling in F, your choices are to pay or to not select seats. Or cancel and rebook with a different airline, of course.

Search this Thread