FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1557700-ba-seat-selection-issues-aa-flyers-charges-seating-award-etc.html)

Mwenenzi Jul 3, 2021 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 33378695)
I've got a BA flight booked next month LHR-SEA in business class. I've recently obtained AA Platinum Status. But BA isn't seeing my AA status, and so is trying to charge me for seat selection. When I call BA and talk to them they aren't able to see my OWS status. Any suggestions on what I need to do? I've already had BA try removing and re-adding my AAdvantage number.

A paid or award flight (not that it should make any difference)?
Try refreshing (remove-add) ffn on Finnair AY manage booking. Works for some
https://www.finnair.com/en/manage

jpmcdonough Jul 3, 2021 5:17 pm

I am traveling on an award on BA next month, booked through aa.com, and I can find no way to inform BA of my Aadvantage number (I'm a lowly Gold, albeit Lifetime). How did you do that? Thanks.

SEA-Flyer Jul 3, 2021 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 33378744)
A paid or award flight (not that it should make any difference)?
Try refreshing (remove-add) ffn on Finnair AY manage booking. Works for some
https://www.finnair.com/en/manage

Paid tickets for this. Thanks for the link to trying it on Finnair - nice that it has the option to remove the FF info (BA and AA don't have that), as it saves me time from having to call and wait on endless hold to get an agent to remove and re-add the FF info. Removed it, verified it was gone, and then re-added it. Unfortunately, still no luck - don't see any inducation of AA Platinum / OneWorld Sapphire and it still wants to charge me for seat assignments.

VFR Jul 3, 2021 6:17 pm

I have had more luck with the RJ website than the AY website. Be careful though, it does seem pretty easy to use it to screw up a booking.

Mwenenzi Jul 3, 2021 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 33378898)
Paid tickets for this. Thanks for the link to trying it on Finnair - nice that it has the option to remove the FF info (BA and AA don't have that), as it saves me time from having to call and wait on endless hold to get an agent to remove and re-add the FF info. Removed it, verified it was gone, and then re-added it. Unfortunately, still no luck - don't see any inducation of AA Platinum / OneWorld Sapphire and it still wants to charge me for seat assignments.

Give the BA web site time to catch up. May work in 8-12 hours

SEA-Flyer Jul 4, 2021 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 33378997)
Give the BA web site time to catch up. May work in 8-12 hours

Waited overnight, still not recognized. Removed once more via AY website, re-added via BA MMB, and was able to select seats. Thanks for your help!

PowerLu Oct 29, 2021 9:52 am

British Airways seat assignment as AA Gold (OW Ruby)

Hi all,

As an AA Gold (oneworld Ruby), can I select a seat for free 7-days prior to an International transatlantic British Airways flight (that was booked via AA)? If so, as the website does not let me, is a phone call the only way to accomplish this?

I understand that this topic has been discussed before; however, I'm looking for recent experiences because, at least according to British Airways' website, the policy may have changed. BA's site reads the following:

EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS AND ONEWORLD FREQUENT FLYERS

Members of our frequent flyer programme are able to choose their seats for free at the following points:
  • Executive Club Gold and Silver Members and oneworld equivalent members - from the time of booking.
  • Executive Club Bronze Members - from 7 days before departure.
  • Executive Club Blue Members - from 24 hours before departure (except on hand-baggage only fares).
Notice how BA does not list "oneworld equivalent members" for Club Bronze (which is oneworld Ruby equivalent). So, I'm hoping this is just a mistake on their website and the policy is as it used to be, that is, Ruby gets the 7-day window not the 24-hour window.

note: I tried a dummy booking on ba.com for a flight 5 days from today and it charges me a seat, but this is just a bug because I used my dad's EXP number and it also tries to charge it, so this didn't work as a test unfortunately haha. Prior recent experience here is my only hope in answering this question.

Thanks!!

mvoight Oct 29, 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by LuizMiranda (Post 33685398)
Hi all,

As an AA Gold (oneworld Ruby), can I select a seat for free 7-days prior to an International transatlantic British Airways flight (that was booked via AA)? If so, as the website does not let me, is a phone call the only way to accomplish this?

I understand that this topic has been discussed before; however, I'm looking for recent experiences because, at least according to British Airways' website, the policy may have changed. BA's site reads the following:

EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS AND ONEWORLD FREQUENT FLYERS

Members of our frequent flyer programme are able to choose their seats for free at the following points:
  • Executive Club Gold and Silver Members and oneworld equivalent members - from the time of booking.
  • Executive Club Bronze Members - from 7 days before departure.
  • Executive Club Blue Members - from 24 hours before departure (except on hand-baggage only fares).
Notice how BA does not list "oneworld equivalent members" for Club Bronze (which is oneworld Ruby equivalent). So, I'm hoping this is just a mistake on their website and the policy is as it used to be, that is, Ruby gets the 7-day window not the 24-hour window.

note: I tried a dummy booking on ba.com for a flight 5 days from today and it charges me a seat, but this is just a bug because I used my dad's EXP number and it also tries to charge it, so this didn't work as a test unfortunately haha. Prior recent experience here is my only hope in answering this question.

Thanks!!

Might be a better question in the BA forum, as this would not be something for just AAdvantage members, but any Ruby not via BA,
Do you have a current booking within 7 days? If so, I would call and ask BA. When I call late at night (midnight CDT/CST), the response seems faster than AA
In my experience recently, I was not able to choose a seat (AA PLT, OW Sapphire) online after making it, or even right after paying for the ticket. This was part of a booking with AA flights, booked on AA.com
I got seat by calling BA directly at the US toll free number. After the original booking and seat assignments, I still could not change seats online. However, there was a $200 drop in price, so I called AA to re-fare it
After that, the reissue caused the seats to away. However, I was able to book seats online at BA.com at that point.

Mwenenzi Oct 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by LuizMiranda (Post 33685398)

I understand that this topic has been discussed before;
<snip>

Not aware of any recent changes (but do not read all threads on this)
Many threads on BA seating vs status, most in the BA forum.
What fare booking class? Basic economy? (also many threads on that topic. Rules vary, including for seating)
Does "booked via AA" mean an AA flight number? (codeshare - BA operated)

guv1976 Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm

This is what I found on the BA website by Googling "ba seat selection oneworld":

"Executive Club MembersMembers of the Executive Club and other oneworld frequent flyers are able to reserve seats at different stages, depending on their tier.

Tier Seat selection

Gold/oneworld Emerald Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight*.

Silver/oneworld Sapphire Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.

Bronze/oneworld Ruby Free seat selection from seven days before departure
for everyone in your booking*."

UKtravelbear Oct 29, 2021 12:09 pm

It can take a short while for AA status to filter through to confirmed BA bookings.

So once you've made the booking on AA you'll need the BA bookign ref (I think AA gives you this automatically now) then enter that into BA MMB and you should then be able to select seats.

In my experience merely entering your AA number into a booking in progress dosen't generate the free seating check that would take place once an actual booking has been made.,

JMN57 Mar 4, 2022 2:10 am

Odd assigned seat behavior for AA flight on BA metal

I booked a RT ex-EU on AA as a PPRO. The return in June is JFK-LHR-NCE on BA. When I booked 4 weeks ago I was able to assign seats for both flights. In the last week, the seats for the LHR-NCE leg were unassigned and one is unable to assign seats now for the flight. On BA it shows:

Seat choice available at check-in Online seat selection is currently unavailable, however you can call us to change your seats

Same screen shows seats on the JFK-LHR leg and possible to change seats on that flight.

What gives? I thought OW Emerald were allowed to assign seats at booking (which I did - exit row). If I need to call, will do when I am back in the States next week.

Geordie405 Mar 4, 2022 12:20 pm

Has there been a schedule change or other amendment that might have resulted in the ticket needing to be re-issued? It sounds as if you may be missing a PNR that would allow you to choose seats for the LHR - NCE sector.

JMN57 Mar 4, 2022 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 34045448)
Has there been a schedule change or other amendment that might have resulted in the ticket needing to be re-issued? It sounds as if you may be missing a PNR that would allow you to choose seats for the LHR - NCE sector.

I have the BA PNR - can even connect - the message is what I see once I connect to BA with the correct PNR. TKT hasn't been re-issued. JFK-LHR segment has seat assigments as originally requested and able to change if I wanted. It's just the LHR-NCE segment that seems locked up.

Dave Noble Mar 4, 2022 4:30 pm

It may be nothing more than BA system not allowing seat assigmnents at this time for the flight. If that is the case, then status doesn't matter. Given that you booked an exit row which is around row 10, loss of assignment could be due to movement of where business class ends. If you were in economy, it may be that the exit row is now part of business or one of 1st 3 rows of economy ( 1st 3 rows are blocked on BA CE/ET configurations ) - if in business, that the exit row is now part of economy

Do sites such as EF show the seat map available?