Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Emergency, Compassion and Bereavement Fares - No More (New AA 2014)

Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Bereavement, Compassion or Emergency Fares
"aa.com: Emergency And Bereavement Fares

"American Airlines does not provide emergency or bereavement fares. We do offer customers flexible fare options when booking last minute travel for a variety of reasons."

and

Do you offer emergency or bereavement discounts?We're sorry, we don't offer emergency or bereavement fares.
One alternative is to check the Choice Plus fares.

The "new" merged American has dropped its compassion / bereavement fare policy (discounted tickets to passengers traveling because of a family emergency), effective o/a 11 Feb 2014.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/02/american-airlines-has-stopped-offering-bereavement-fares/358578

The previous, archived thread can be found here: Emergency / Compassion / Bereavement Fares (ARCHIVAL)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Emergency, Compassion and Bereavement Fares - No More (New AA 2014)

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’d definitely take the 25,000 miles option even with the $80 in fees if I couldn’t get them waived.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I don't know how long the transfer takes but if you transfer Amex to Lifemiles you can book a United award from TUL-LGA for 10,000 Lifemiles plus $12.91.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I don't know how long the transfer takes but if you transfer Amex to Lifemiles you can book a United award from TUL-LGA for 10,000 Lifemiles plus $12.91.
I think that this would be very risky for the OP. Per the Life Miles terms and conditions:

"The minimum anticipation time for redemptions with Star Alliance Airlines is forty eight (48) hours prior to the flight."

In addition, the OP gets a free checked bag on AA, but presumably not on UA.

It is curious that you're coming up with less than $13 in fees for the Life Miles redemption. The terms and conditions indicate that there's a $25 fee for booking redemptions on Star Alliance partners.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by guv1976
I think that this would be very risky for the OP. Per the Life Miles terms and conditions:

"The minimum anticipation time for redemptions with Star Alliance Airlines is forty eight (48) hours prior to the flight."

In addition, the OP gets a free checked bag on AA, but presumably not on UA.

It is curious that you're coming up with less than $13 in fees for the Life Miles redemption. The terms and conditions indicate that there's a $25 fee for booking redemptions on Star Alliance partners.
I just did a LM search and that was what it listed. I did not go all the way to booking so you are probably correct about the additional $25 fee. Also, Amex seems to have a temporary inability to perform LifeMiles transfers.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you hold a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA credit card? TUL is on this month's list of reduced-mileage-award destinations for credit-card holders: just 8,750 miles one-way from anywhere in the (continental) U.S. to TUL, when MileSAAver seats are available.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp
This is awesome, thanks! I called and my flight will be eligible for this. I have the ticket on hold now. Apparently the $75 fee is for expedited service because it is less than 48 hours.
The guy I spoke with said they can't waive this, but maybe when I call back to actually book I will have better luck.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BenH
This is awesome, thanks! I called and my flight will be eligible for this. I have the ticket on hold now. Apparently the $75 fee is for expedited service because it is less than 48 hours.
The guy I spoke with said they can't waive this, but maybe when I call back to actually book I will have better luck.
The $75 fee is for any awards booked within 21 days of travel (not 48 hrs.) and is waived for anyone with AA status. I doubt they'll waive it but it's certainly worth asking again.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The $75 fee is for any awards booked within 21 days of travel (not 48 hrs.) and is waived for anyone with AA status. I doubt they'll waive it but it's certainly worth asking again.
Thanks, what kind of status do you need? I am not even Gold, but I hold the AAdvantage Platinum Select Citi Mastercard.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
No, you need to have elite status. But even with the $75 close-in fee, this redemption is going to give you a far better value than a cash flight. Sorry for your loss.
JDiver, BenH, enpremiere and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wiki post updated. AA still offers no bereavement fares after their elimination ~11 Feb 2014.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.