Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Has anyone had success putting together an itinerary with an EY flight and another airline's? I'm trying to find AKL-BNE-AUH with AKL-BNE on QF J and BNE-AUH on EY F but the price is appearing as two separate awards (17,500 and 60,000) rather than one for the region. Is this something to do with EY bookings/different classes or should someone be able to price up the 60,000 it theoretically should be?
EY doesn't have a AKL-AUH fare that allows travel on Qantas to Sydney, so not surprised at the award being split
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
EY doesn't have a AKL-AUH fare that allows travel on Qantas to Sydney, so not surprised at the award being split
Oh right. Any chance AA could see other EY coded flights in order to book onto? Or am I just dreaming about being able to use AA miles for NZ/VA (coded as EY)..
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:46 am

Oh right. Any chance AA could see other EY coded flights in order to book onto? Or am I just dreaming about being able to use AA miles for NZ/VA (coded as EY)..
I am pretty sure that EY does not offer award availability on its codeshares trans Tasman
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:04 am

LHR-AUH route - aircraft changes

There's a thread over in the Etihad forum about pending changes of aircraft on the LHR-AUH route, which I think would be of significance for those booking/planning to book the Apartment cabin. I can't tell if these are common substitutions or permanent changes - but may be advised to follow this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...l#post25842681
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Yes (to the dreaming part.)

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 10, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Has anyone had success putting together an itinerary with an EY flight and another airline's? I'm trying to find AKL-BNE-AUH with AKL-BNE on QF J and BNE-AUH on EY F but the price is appearing as two separate awards (17,500 and 60,000) rather than one for the region. Is this something to do with EY bookings/different classes or should someone be able to price up the 60,000 it theoretically should be?
I booked AMS-LHR-AUH-MLE at the 40k level with BA on AMS-LHR.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:56 pm

I have successfully redeemed 1 F ticket AMM-AUH-MEL-SYD-ASP with 60000 miles, as I believe EY sold AMM- ASP with its partner VA in Australia 2 days ago ^^ My AMM-AUH is on RJ and MEL-SYD-ASP is on QF.

However, weird things happened. There were 2 seats available for redemption on EY A380 F as shown on EY site, but once I booked a ticket for myself, inventory dropped to zero. I cannot book my friend on the exact same flight I redeemed.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:56 pm

Did anyone have luck selecting a seat on the AUH-MEL (or MEL-AUH) flight booked with AA miles?

I booked myself a seat in F on the AUH-MEL A380 flight using my AA miles a few days ago and was trying to do a seat selection today.
I tried the online tool first, but it gave me an error so I called EY to pick a seat.
The phone agent said she also couldn't select a seat, and after doing some research on her side, she told me there is an AIRCRAFT CHANGE scheduled for this flight, and I cannot choose a seat until the aircraft change is finished.

?????

Does this mean the AUH-MEL flight is not gonna get the A380?
Right now, EY's website says the scheduled aircraft type is A380 for this flight, but if what she said is true, that means MEL is actually NOT getting the A380, right?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Btw my flight is in Sept. 2016.

Last edited by agjil; Dec 10, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:10 pm

Did you phone AA or EY to get the seat assigned?

Can you not select a seat on the EY site ?

Is the booking ticketed ; EY seems not to allow seat assignment ( at least from its website ) until ticketing is completed

Of course it is possible that the airline is tinkering with what type of aeroplane to use and has inhibited seat allocation - if so, all you can do then is wait
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:18 pm

Did you phone AA or EY to get the seat assigned?
---> I called EY for the seat assignment.
I called both the US office and the Abu Dhabi office and got the same response about this aircraft change thing.

Can you not select a seat on the EY site ?
---> As I wrote in my post, when I try to do it online, it gives me an error.

Is the booking ticketed ; EY seems not to allow seat assignment ( at least from its website ) until ticketing is completed
---> Yes, the booking is ticketed.

Of course it is possible that the airline is tinkering with what type of aeroplane to use and has inhibited seat allocation - if so, all you can do then is wait
---> yeah, it sounds like this is the case. EY better not take the A380 away!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:17 pm

<redacted>

<agjil> did not state what website was being used to select seats - whether it was AA's or EY's site
He also did not state whether it was ticketed - which is important for EY seat selection from the EY site. The post only stated that it was booked

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 10, 2015 at 10:41 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content / edit for same
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tng11
Since you're EXP - the $150 change fee doesn't apply.

Calling to change by adding CDG-LHR might reduce your taxes, but France also has a high "solidarity" tax for premium passengers.

If you leave from say BRU, AMS and almost any other European port, that will completely drop the APD for you (but add that airport's departure tax.)
I looked in to this a bit but then my wife veto'd it as she only wants to go to London
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by hktramz
I have successfully redeemed 1 F ticket AMM-AUH-MEL-SYD-ASP with 60000 miles, as I believe EY sold AMM- ASP with its partner VA in Australia 2 days ago ^^ My AMM-AUH is on RJ and MEL-SYD-ASP is on QF.

However, weird things happened. There were 2 seats available for redemption on EY A380 F as shown on EY site, but once I booked a ticket for myself, inventory dropped to zero. I cannot book my friend on the exact same flight I redeemed.
Why would you take RJ over EY any way? EY beats it hands down.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Why would you take RJ over EY any way? EY beats it hands down.
Availability?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I've always checked availability of legs separately on Etihad's website but looking at LHR - SYD rather than LHR - AUH then AUH - SYD shows more availability. Can I assume that AA won't be able to see this additional availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.