Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Where do you find EY & QR availability?
EY availability can be checked on the Etihad Guest website ( http://www.etihadguest.com ) - ( no need to log in, just need to find availability in GuestSeat award category )
QR availability ( and other OW carrers ) can be checked on BA website - need to set up a BA Executuve Club acount

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 14, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Where do you find EY & QR availability?
By calling AA. Or by using ba.com for QR availability, and EY's website for "Etihad Guest" availability.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Anyone want to trade??

Hi All,

Not sure if this is possible but figured I'd ask:

I've got a flight on hold,
EY 171 AUH-LAX (first class) Dec 30 but was hoping for something around Jan 4-7. In my experience inventory from cancelled holds go right back into inventory for EY. I'm willing to trade if anyone has an F seat on any US bound non Jetihad EY flight for those dates. Please PM if interested. Thx
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:17 am

Etihad AUH-SYD A380 first class using 60k AA miles

So after reading articles like this I have been trying to save up enough AAdvantage miles to go on the AUH-SYD route with Etihad, in their first class "apartment" on the A380. I understand this can be redeemed for 60,000 AAdvantage miles, even if you add a segment to MLE for example (SYD-AUH-MLE or MLE-AUH-SYD)

I have looked at Etihad's website and I can find Guest First availability, for example, on a AUH to SYD flight on 25 December 2015 (flight EY 454). It says the cost is 128857 miles plus AED 720. Is it correct that I should just ignore this cost, as it will in fact only be 60,000 AAdvantage miles? Will I still pay the AED 720 in addition to that? I'm just trying to figure out if, when searching for award space on Etihard, I should only concentrate on finding flights where it says there is Guest First availability, or if I should also pay note to the cost listed in miles and AED.

Second question - this redemption can only be booked by phoning AA customer service in the US, correct?

Also, when I search for MLE to SYD award availability on Etihad's website, no matches show up. So I suppose I have to find the legs seperately and then give the phone agent the exact flight numbers and dates when booking?

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked before, but I didn't find an exact thread like this with the search option..
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The cost in points mentioned on etihad guest is purely related to Etihad points

You do indeed need to phone AA to make the booking

The taxes for AUH-SYD will be AUD160 booked with AA

The only thing to pay note to on the EY site is the availability. If you want to check tax costs, matrix.itasoftware.com is a good place to go

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 15, 2015 at 4:35 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
After doing 4 trips in F class on EY, I started to lose enthusiasm and the wow factor for flying F on EY even on the A380.

Some of the reasons: they don't have a dedicated F lounge in AUH. The current C lounge used by F passengers is overcrowded. Food and wines are not so great anymore. Seats are good but not great.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
AA Agents Cant See Etihad Guest First Availability?

Is anyone having trouble with AA agents seeing F availability? I see plenty of guest first availability for AUH-IAD in may/june 2016... but none of the agents can see it. Any input would be appreciated!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There may be some broad issues in award search, both online and thru agents.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stem-down.html
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
All GuestFirst availability IAD-AUH seems to have disappeared from the Etihad site. I also saw lots of openings in the past week or so, now I can't find a single one. Hoping it's a temporary glitch.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by isabeloh
All GuestFirst availability IAD-AUH seems to have disappeared from the Etihad site. I also saw lots of openings in the past week or so, now I can't find a single one. Hoping it's a temporary glitch.
Im looking at AUH-IAD... and I see plenty of it with 2 seats, but the AA agents can't see them

Has anyone recently booked a F ticket?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by isabeloh
I am seeing the same thing. Plenty going the other way though.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I am seeing the same thing. Plenty going the other way though.
Similar thing happened a month or two ago I recall.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Called AA many times today to check on multiple Etihad flights that show availability in business and first as Etihad guest on their website. AA agents could only see economy, no business or first for some reason
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fas828
Called AA many times today to check on multiple Etihad flights that show availability in business and first as Etihad guest on their website. AA agents could only see economy, no business or first for some reason
Thanks for saving me the phone call this morning. Ill try later tonight and update the thread
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:59 am

Just tried again. Still can only see coach on their end. GR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.