Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesnt apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:52 pm

PHL to VCE Upgrade Question (A)

My wife and I are going to Venice in September.
I've got a question after looking at expert flyer for upgrade availability.
Any help would be appreciated.

Flights are
AA (BA) 6129 PHL-LHR Expert Flyer shows A4

AA (BA) 6130 LHR-PHL Expert Flyer shows A7

If we book in business class with AA, would we be able to upgrade using miles to first class on these routs?

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You can upgrade an AA marketed, BA operated flight, but it has to be booked into full fare J, D, or R. The most common discount business fare class of I is not eligible. A quick look on Matrix shows the fare difference between the cheapest business and the cheapest "full fare" business tickets on a 7 day return in September is around $1300/ticket. I'm not sure that it's really worth the fare difference plus 35K miles each for the increase in service on a 7.5 hour overnight flight. But that's just my take...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
If those are BA operated flights then A availability is not the same as upgrade availability - for which you would need to use Expertflyer to look for Z availability on the BA flight number.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If those are BA operated flights then A availability is not the same as upgrade availability - for which you would need to use Expertflyer to look for Z availability on the BA flight number.
You do not need to use expert flyer to do this. You can just search for availability for a 1st class award flight for BA using the AA award bookin tool ( or use BA's award search on the BA site )

Indeed , it is Z class that would need to be available as well as being booked in an appropriate booking class - 'A' availability is irrelevent
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Question Upgrade Biz to First on BA with RTW Done3 issued by AA?

I'm travelling on a Done3 issued by AA.
Is it possible to upgrade with AAMiles from Biz to First on a BA coded and operated flight JFK-LHR?
AAdvantage are saying that's it not possible, as it's not a valid D fare, which appears to contradict the language on the website...
"Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia."
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by geronimo
I'm travelling on a Done3 issued by AA.
Is it possible to upgrade with AAMiles from Biz to First on a BA coded and operated flight JFK-LHR?
AAdvantage are saying that's it not possible, as it's not a valid D fare, which appears to contradict the language on the website...
"Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia."
Although not highlighted on the website, DONEx fares are excluded as part of full fare tickets in D class that can be upgraded ; it isn't actually contradictory since DONEx fares are not full fare tickets
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the clear answer! If only AA.com could manage that...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
I see a lot of people asking about upgrading AA marketed, BA operated, but not so much for vice versa. Is there a way to upgrade a discount economy ticket BA marketed, AA operated using AA miles? I see from the AA website it's possible for AA marketed and operated in discount economy, but what about BA marketed?Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
I see a lot of people asking about upgrading AA marketed, BA operated, but not so much for vice versa. Is there a way to upgrade a discount economy ticket BA marketed, AA operated using AA miles? I see from the AA website it's possible for AA marketed and operated in discount economy, but what about BA marketed?Thanks.
You cannot upgrade a discount economy ticket in this manner. It would have to be booked on BA in either B or Y class

You also need to meet the requirement

Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)

If it was a Y or B fare ticket on BA flight number, you could upgrade
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question about Upgrading Iberia Flight Operated by American

Hi. I apologize if this topic has been discussed to death previously. I am still rather confused about how different airlines manage code share flights.

I recently reserved (through a cruise line) a pair of round trip tickets from IND to LHR (with stops in ORD going and CLT coming back). They are economy class (fare class S) from American. All four segments are operated by American, and the ticket appears to be issued by American. However, the two transatlatic segments are Iberia flights operated by American. I'm not sure why American would wan to sell their flights in this convoluted fashion.

Anyways, my question is in regard to my ability (or lack there of) to upgrade the transatlantic segments with miles. Do I:

A. Contact American Airlines and upgrade the segments with AAdvantage miles?
or
B. Contact Iberia and upgrade the segments with Avios?

Or something more convoluted?

Thanks.

Naoyuki
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smartini
Hi. I apologize if this topic has been discussed to death previously. I am still rather confused about how different airlines manage code share flights.

I recently reserved (through a cruise line) a pair of round trip tickets from IND to LHR (with stops in ORD going and CLT coming back). They are economy class (fare class S) from American. All four segments are operated by American, and the ticket appears to be issued by American. However, the two transatlatic segments are Iberia flights operated by American. I'm not sure why American would wan to sell their flights in this convoluted fashion.

Anyways, my question is in regard to my ability (or lack there of) to upgrade the transatlantic segments with miles. Do I:

A. Contact American Airlines and upgrade the segments with AAdvantage miles?
or
B. Contact Iberia and upgrade the segments with Avios?

Or something more convoluted?

Thanks.

Naoyuki
As noted in the wiki, you can use AA miles to upgrade IB-marketed / AA-operated, but only from full-fare, which S of course is not.

The Iberia "using Avios" webpage says "You can also use [Avios] to upgrade cabin class when you fly in economy (fares Y, B or H) with Iberia." So, same problem there apparently.

If you're talking about using BA Avios, they only limit you to anything but "Q, O and G". So that might work.

You could call and ask to have the flights changed to the higher fare class and pay the cost difference, but you may well find that it would be cheaper to simply upfare to discount Business instead.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks

Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
As noted in the wiki, you can use AA miles to upgrade IB-marketed / AA-operated, but only from full-fare, which S of course is not.

The Iberia "using Avios" webpage says "You can also use [Avios] to upgrade cabin class when you fly in economy (fares Y, B or H) with Iberia." So, same problem there apparently.

If you're talking about using BA Avios, they only limit you to anything but "Q, O and G". So that might work.

You could call and ask to have the flights changed to the higher fare class and pay the cost difference, but you may well find that it would be cheaper to simply upfare to discount Business instead.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Can it be done, paid upgrade on IB flight booked as AA

Wondering if it is possible to do the following and, if so, how.

We are booked in PE, MIA to MAD in September. Looks like a ton of J availability. We booked as an AA flight but it is operated by IB

I know we can't use miles to upgrade from PE to J but is there a possibility of upgrading with dollars as we get closer? If so, would it be with IB directly or AA?
My guess is until we get to the airport that IB won't deal with us since our "IB" PNR is not a real IB # but a shorter 5 character one used with AA. Also, guessing that AA won't be able to process an upgrade on the IB flight?
Right or wrong? Would it be available at checkin? in MAD?
If we are going to but up, I'd prefer to do it before I leave home rather than at an airport - just my preference.
AJ
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EP
See aa.com as to what can be upgraded and how it needs to be booked. Sometimes IB will offer cash upgrades but not as readily as BA and they tend to look more at who the marketing carriervis. But as always YMMV.
Originally Posted by aj411
Wondering if it is possible to do the following and, if so, how.

We are booked in PE, MIA to MAD in September. Looks like a ton of J availability. We booked as an AA flight but it is operated by IB

I know we can't use miles to upgrade from PE to J but is there a possibility of upgrading with dollars as we get closer? If so, would it be with IB directly or AA?
My guess is until we get to the airport that IB won't deal with us since our "IB" PNR is not a real IB # but a shorter 5 character one used with AA. Also, guessing that AA won't be able to process an upgrade on the IB flight?
Right or wrong? Would it be available at checkin? in MAD?
If we are going to but up, I'd prefer to do it before I leave home rather than at an airport - just my preference.
AJ
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I know it can't be upgraded with miles or miles +cash on AA. In fact, AA agent told me they will likely add upgrades from PE in the future when the flights with PE are more widely available but not yet.
I can upgrade for cash now but it is essentially at the full fare price.
What I would like to be able to do is do some sort of last minute upgrade but I've not seen that on AA in a long time. Wondering if it might be available via Iberia since they do seem to offer last minute upgrades for a fee
AJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.