Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra to be extended to US aircraft [in long run]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main Cabin Extra to be extended to US aircraft [in long run]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
If the "Choice Seats" offered by US Airways do not come with the same features as AA's MCE, and AA/US is advertising the seats as MCE, then that's false advertising.
Nowhere are Choice Seats being advertised as being like MCE.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Nowhere are Choice Seats being advertised as being like MCE.
Somebody said they are.... maybe he's just joking around.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Well they promised it on US aircraft over a year ago. I've seen Congress move faster in implementing things.....

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...on-us-airways/
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I've seen Congress move faster in implementing things.....
Not this one!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Well they promised it on US aircraft over a year ago. I've seen Congress move faster in implementing things.....

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...on-us-airways/
I believe they made the announcement in the late Fall about the US 319s being refurbished to include MCE. What they did say over a year ago is that starting with the new aircraft deliveries in September of last year, those US aircraft will have the AA interiors. Also, the 319s are getting new seats in both cabins. And it's not as though they can just stop by COSTCO and pick them up off of the shelf. They have to be ordered through the manufatcturer. Then made and delivered by them. Moreover, AA/US aren't the only ones ordering new seats for existing aircraft.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:09 pm

I understand but reconfiguring MCE isn't that difficult and can be done in house. They can use the existing U.S. seats. Further - they have received new aircraft recently and it still hasn't been added.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand but reconfiguring MCE isn't that difficult and can be done in house. They can use the existing U.S. seats. Further - they have received new aircraft recently and it still hasn't been added.
Sure, they can do that interim. But that also means taking out 4 F seats ahead of schedule. @:-)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Sure, they can do that interim. But that also means taking out 4 F seats ahead of schedule. @:-)
You think they'll slash F seats for it? I would think they'd just make two or three rows of MCE and cram them closer together from behind.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: WFBF
You think they'll slash F seats for it? I would think they'd just make two or three rows of MCE and cram them closer together from behind.
Considering pmAA, well before the merger, was already ordering planes with fewer seats in F...

...yes, I think bringing MCE to the pmUS fleet will be implemented by cutting seats in the front cabin.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Considering pmAA, well before the merger, was already ordering planes with fewer seats in F...

...yes, I think bringing MCE to the pmUS fleet will be implemented by cutting seats in the front cabin.
The choice isn't simple. F seat pitch as well as F seat count plays a roll, as does ratio of F to Y against forecasted ability to sell F fares (or stickers). Cabin door and exit door positions may force some compromises.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The location of the emergency exit doors on the 319 basically prevent that from happening. Remember that the US 319s already have a normal seat pitch at the exit row because there are only 2 seats on each side (with no window seats). You'd have to remove an entire row of Y seats for there to be MCE seats forward of the emergency exit doors. OR remove a row of F seats, and replaced with a row of Y seats, and move the cabin forward with more space that way.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The location of the emergency exit doors on the 319 basically prevent that from happening. Remember that the US 319s already have a normal seat pitch at the exit row because there are only 2 seats on each side (with no window seats). You'd have to remove an entire row of Y seats for there to be MCE seats forward of the emergency exit doors. OR remove a row of F seats, and replaced with a row of Y seats, and move the cabin forward with more space that way.
I thought it was already announced that the US 319s would be retrofit to match the AA configuration? If that's correct, it means the US 319s will eventually lose a row of F, gain MCE, and have 30 inch seat pitch in Y-. Overall, bad news.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
I thought it was already announced that the US 319s would be retrofit to match the AA configuration? If that's correct, it means the US 319s will eventually lose a row of F, gain MCE, and have 30 inch seat pitch in Y-. Overall, bad news.
Basically. Which is why I question the need to rush this. IMO, I'd rather be in the regular Y section of the US 319s than that of AA's regular 319 Y section. MCE is nicer, of course. But there is going to be a trade-off involved. And one may not always be able to select an MCE seat at the time of booking ( or one that is not a middle seat).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I hope Choice Seats go away in favor of MCE! Not a fan of Choice Seats, especially in light of the fact that even elites (CP/EXP) have to pay for them. I'm not an elite member, but I really think it's ridiculous that US charges even their top-tier elites for those seats.
Don't forget though US is lenient with their complimentary upgrades to J class if it's available, no fee or miles at all to move up on domestic flights most times.

So it's good and bad with the choice seat charge on US.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:37 pm

Any chance US Airways will add Main Cabin Extra anytime soon?...

Flying RT SAN-PHL-FCO American Airlines and returning FCO-PHL-SAN on US Airways in late Sep early Oct 2015. Using AAdvantage frequent flyer miles for the RT flights, which required a higher level of miles to book.

Because a higher level was required, we get Main Cabin Extra, priority check-in, an extra bag, etc on AA, but it doesn't look like any of those extras are available on the return US Airways flight. All they have are "Choice Seats" which cost extra and aren't any better than normal seats.

Any idea if US Airways will add Main Cabin Extra soon? I kind of feel I'm not getting something I "paid" for (via extra miles) on the return US Airways segment. TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.