Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Impressive Impressions with the "New American"

Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)

I was on business this week ORD-GSO with connections in CLT and PHL, 3 of the 4 flights operated by sUS.
What really struck me with this trip was the UNIFORMITY of how operations were between the AA and US flights.
All the employees were recognizing both carriers, codeshares, loyalty programs etc, and they ALL mentioned the "New American."
"Enjoy your flight with US Airways today, part of the NEW AMERICAN."
At the counter and on the planes.

Just remembering back to the days of the UA/CO merger, where communication was a disaster, staff were surely, didn't know what was going on (even before system integration).
But Mr. Parker's regime must really have gotten things out to the field in impeccable time, because all the staff were on the same page this week with the merger. And they seem generally positive about it [thus far].
I think that's great, because that shows the passengers a UNITED front.......which was never at (and may not currently be) the New United.

So far I'm impressed with how this AA/US merger is going in the early stages.
Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. ^
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: None
Glad to hear. It may not hurt that you were flying on the east coast, where many employees have been through 4 mergers plus the beginnings of this one in the last decade plus so change has almost become the norm.

Jim
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Glad to hear. It may not hurt that you were flying on the east coast, where many employees have been through 4 mergers plus the beginnings of this one in the last decade plus so change has almost become the norm.

Jim
It also helps that there isn't (at least visible to the customer anyway) squabbling between sAA and sUS workers. UA still has the problem. Nothing like starting off a TPAC with sCO FAs b!tching about their sUA counterparts and badmouthing the pilots' friendly efforts - even in the C cabin.

Dougie seems to be doing a good job of presenting a positive face to the consumers and keeping infighting, if any, on the inside.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Well, everyone is basically getting a raise (except for Eagle) and, with the exception of retirees, everyone is getting much better non-rev travel opportunities. This makes for happy employees. Happy employees = happy customers. It's not rocket science (though, if you've flown UA lately, you might be lead to believe otherwise).

So, the new AA management team is smart when it comes to employees thus far. Let's see if they're smart when it comes to frequent fliers. I'm cautiously optimistic, given what we've seen so far. But, we've seen very little.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Well, everyone is basically getting a raise (except for Eagle) and, with the exception of retirees, everyone is getting much better non-rev travel opportunities. This makes for happy employees. Happy employees = happy customers. It's not rocket science (though, if you've flown UA lately, you might be lead to believe otherwise).
Yes, but I agree only partially.
What I was also impressed with is how (on my flights) the desk agents and flight attendants ALL seemed to have the same, uniform, corporate information and operating procedures.
I was VERY impressed by that; coming from UA's merger where nobody knew anything.
Management at AA/US seems to have done a fantastic job of getting everyone on the front lines on the same page with policies/procedures.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:25 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Lessons learned from past mistakes. We are working hard for all of you.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by flight62
Lessons learned from past mistakes. We are working hard for all of you.
Lessons learned from OTHER'S past mistakes. If AA can get this right, they will become a first-class airline - what new United should have become. So far someone at the top is listening and it's quite impressive. I hope it continues.

The customer. The customer. The customer.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
According to a buddy of mine that works for US here in PHX the day the potential merger was announced US already had internal websites in place providing information to the employees.

In subsequent conversations he has mentioned on multiple occasions how the majority of the employees are behind the merger and it's really a great place to be working.

This is only one person's POV, but let's hope things stay that way.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Lessons learned from OTHER'S past mistakes.
Not completely - Parker was firmly in charge for the US/HP merger which had a doozie of a mistake.

Jim
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
And AA has certainly had its merger "moments" (most notably with TW)...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Not completely - Parker was firmly in charge for the US/HP merger which had a doozie of a mistake.

Jim
What was that mistake?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:51 pm

The biggest was the combination of res systems but that was a doozie.

Jim
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

So, the new AA management team is smart when it comes to employees thus far. Let's see if they're smart when it comes to frequent fliers. I'm cautiously optimistic, given what we've seen so far. But, we've seen very little.
Yes I honestly hope AA miles don't devalue that much. In a few months, the new UA will be making star alliance redemption much harder. So there's really no point for in applying for UA cards anymore.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Employee integration? "East" and "West" problems lasted over five years. Perhaps this will bring about some resolution...

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
What was that mistake?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:43 pm

I have not been able to fly the last two months but will be ramping up in a couple of weeks. I am thrilled to hear this.

As a happy refugee from the UA+CO disaster I'm glad that early merger signs are encouraging.

AA employees: You are valued and appreciated. Please keep up your great work!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.