Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA Project Oasis all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old May 29, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I thought that UA has wifi that allows you to stream movies and shows on your own device, or am I wrong?
Some UA aircraft do, and some don't. Most of those where one would want it - the infamous 'dark 737s' do not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...737-fleet.html
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:37 pm
mlm

Anyone flown A321 PHL to LAX in Biz Class?

Trying to find out the scoop on AA's A321 from PHL to LAX in Business Class.
How the IFE ? Are the individual seat back screens a decent size ?
Thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm pretty sure the aircraft from PHL-LAX is ex-US and thus won't have any IFE at all.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:29 pm
mlm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm pretty sure the aircraft from PHL-LAX is ex-US and thus won't have any IFE at all.
EEEK....please tell me this can't be !! Seriously, Biz Class in 2016 on a coast to coast flight ??? I called AA and they're saying IFE, lay flat seats, blah blah blah.

Anyone know from recent personal experience?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlm
EEEK....please tell me this can't be !! Seriously, Biz Class in 2016 on a coast to coast flight ??? I called AA and they're saying IFE, lay flat seats, blah blah blah.

AA has multiple versions of the A321. You only regularly find the lay flat seats on the premium routes of JFK-LAX/SFO (and some LAX-MIA flights). PHL-LAX is just regular domestic first class - unless there is a one off substitution.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. Notta chance that PHL-LAX will be an IFE-equipped LAA A321. Just a plane old LUS A321 with 16 ordinary tight-pitch first class seats, no IFE and no in-seat power.

Originally Posted by mlm

Whomever you talked to at AA was woefully ignorant (and stupid, to boot). AA's agents have drunk deeply from the stupid well since the merger.

Want lie-flat seats? Fly JFK-LAX/SFO.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mlm
Trying to find out the scoop on AA's A321 from PHL to LAX in Business Class.
How the IFE ? Are the individual seat back screens a decent size ?
Thank you.
Domestic FC.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:19 am

Don't the LUS 321's have wifi?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nova08
Don't the LUS 321's have wifi?
Yes.

By the way, just flew on an older build A321 (N187US), and noticed that the seats had new covers in F. The cabin smelled new like the rebuilt A319s, although the seats themselves were clearly not new- same old armrests and worn tray tables. The bulkheads were still in US colors, but the cabin did have somewhat of a fresher feel, especially with the smell of new pleather...

Didn't make it back to Y class to see if new seat covers were installed back there or not.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA's agents have drunk deeply from the stupid well since the merger.
Hilarious and spot on!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:44 pm
mlm

AA has multiple versions of the A321. You only regularly find the lay flat seats on the premium routes of JFK-LAX/SFO (and some LAX-MIA flights). PHL-LAX is just regular domestic first class - unless there is a one off substitution.
Thank you. So does this regular domestic first class still have some type of entertainment, maybe the movie screen that hangs from the ceiling? Adding...seatguru has it all incorrect as well, including all the reviews listed. Apparently the reviews shown are ones who flew the JFK-LAX/SFO route ! Grrrrr.

Last edited by mlm; Jun 29, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlm
Thank you. So does this regular domestic first class still have some type of entertainment, maybe the movie screen that hangs from the ceiling?
This is a former US plane. US removed all inflight entertainment equipement from it's domestic planes long ago, and nothing has been done to change that. It should have Wifi but that's it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

This is a former US plane. US removed all inflight entertainment equipement from it's domestic planes long ago, and nothing has been done to change that. It should have Wifi but that's it.
Not to nit pick but I consider wifi to be IFE and see a difference between an aircraft with wifi and a dark aircraft with nothing (no seatback tv's, no wifi, no outlets...truly nothing)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some of the LAA routes are starting to be flown by LUS 321s. Its always interesting to see F paxs start to ask what happened to the IFE.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some of the LAA routes are starting to be flown by LUS 321s. Its always interesting to see F paxs start to ask what happened to the IFE.
Yeah, these planes are pretty ghetto. Honestly there are two good seats on the entire plane, and neither of them are in F. The only seat I'll personally sit in on the US A321 is 10A.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.