Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS Airbus A321 (legacy US A321-200) master thread

LUS Airbus A321 (legacy US A321-200) master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 26, 19, 1:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 16, 2:29 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS/AZO
Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 2,962
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
If the fare component includes travel between jfk airport and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on nonstop flights. And if the fare component includes travel between jfk airport and sfo then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on nonstop flights. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777 aircraft. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777-300er aircraft. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and sfo then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777 aircraft. And the fare component must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa.
Is that a specific rebooking section (I don't think so?) - I don't seen any mention of it. That makes sense for purchasing certain fares, because you could get a really, really good deal if they didn't exclude them in the purchasing rules.

And FWIW, the PMUSA321 isn't that bad as what everyone makes it out to be. I think it's quite comfortable (sans the entertainment).
BThumme is offline  
Old May 12, 16, 2:39 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PWM
Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post

And FWIW, the PMUSA321 isn't that bad as what everyone makes it out to be. I think it's quite comfortable (sans the entertainment).
For daytime flights during the week when I'm trying to work, I would agree with that. It's not a bad ride if you're not trying to sleep and you have something to do. For a pleasure trip/ MR/ or red eye, it's rough compared to some of the other options available.
MEABFlyer is offline  
Old May 12, 16, 3:06 pm
  #63  
mlm
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 391
Thank you all. Not what I was hoping to hear. We booked using Advantage miles. I contacted AA rep again after reading your remarks. Unfortunately, they're telling me there are no other available flights using miles. Not sure how hard they looked I'll try and do some research on my own. I can't imagine a coast to coast flight without IFE in this day and age in F class. Sad ! No problem with our flight to BCN...just the long flight from LAX to PHL.
mlm is offline  
Old May 12, 16, 5:10 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,080
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
Thank you all. Not what I was hoping to hear. We booked using Advantage miles. I contacted AA rep again after reading your remarks. Unfortunately, they're telling me there are no other available flights using miles. Not sure how hard they looked I'll try and do some research on my own. I can't imagine a coast to coast flight without IFE in this day and age in F class. Sad ! No problem with our flight to BCN...just the long flight from LAX to PHL.
What was your original routing before AA changed it to LAX-PHL-BCN?
JJeffrey is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 7:09 am
  #65  
mlm
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 391
no, it was actually a time change only. My bad as it never occurred to me that A321(or ANY cross country aircraft) didn't have IFE in 2016. Maybe best to use more miles to re-route in J class.
mlm is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 7:16 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,458
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
Maybe best to use more miles to re-route in J class.
Ok, I'm scratching my head at this one. If you're in domestic F connecting to an international flight, what is the ticketed class of service of the award?

What specifically was the time change?
arlflyer is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 8:18 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Programs: M&M, Finnair, FlyingBlue, HH and some more
Posts: 269
Reading all the stories here seems I am heading tortures flying redeye from HNL to LAX. Too cheap ticket to be able to change, unless I win some lottery. No good but what to do...
AhogZ is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 8:38 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,911
Originally Posted by AhogZ View Post
Reading all the stories here seems I am heading tortures flying redeye from HNL to LAX. Too cheap ticket to be able to change, unless I win some lottery. No good but what to do...
On a flight from HNL to LAX, you will be on a LAA Airbus A321 that will be relatively brand new and have IFE. It won't be the plane discussed in this thread.
wrp96 is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 8:38 am
  #69  
mlm
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 391
Woo Hoo, I finally got a very helpful Agent and she switched us to #34 LAX to JFK (A321 V1 version) connecting to # 66 JFK to Barcelona(777-200) no additional miles. I tried for routing through Charlotte but there was only 1 seat available to BCN.

I'm happy camper. Thanks so much for your help and advice due to my naivety.
mlm is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 8:45 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,458
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
Woo Hoo, I finally got a very helpful Agent and she switched us to #34 LAX to JFK (A321 V1 version) connecting to # 66 JFK to Barcelona(777-200) no additional miles. I tried for routing through Charlotte but there was only 1 seat available to BCN.

I'm happy camper. Thanks so much for your help and advice due to my naivety.
Ok, now we are talking. HUCA wins again. Congrats and bon voyage!
arlflyer is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 9:15 am
  #71  
mlm
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 391
Woo Hoo, finally got a helpful knowledgeable AA agent. I switched our flight from LAX to BCN on AA #34 (A32a 32B V1 Version) to JFK connecting to #66 (777-200) to BCN. I tried for LAX to Charlotte but no availability on to BCN. No extra cost or miles. I'm happy camper.

Thanks you all for your help due to my naivety.
mlm is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 9:47 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
Woo Hoo, I finally got a very helpful Agent and she switched us to #34 LAX to JFK (A321 V1 version) connecting to # 66 JFK to Barcelona(777-200) no additional miles. I tried for routing through Charlotte but there was only 1 seat available to BCN.

I'm happy camper. Thanks so much for your help and advice due to my naivety.
I hope JFK-BCN stays a 772; I haven't checked the thread on here. Otherwise you may have received a better LAX-JFK flight, but will be on NGBC versus the Envoy Cirrus on the A332. And at that case, it could be worse than the original routing. I personally find the LUS A321 comfortable enough even on SFO/LAX-PHL which I have taken a few times.

Good luck and I'm glad you're happy with the outcome.
airb330 is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 9:57 am
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by airb330 View Post
I hope JFK-BCN stays a 772; I haven't checked the thread on here. Otherwise you may have received a better LAX-JFK flight, but will be on NGBC versus the Envoy Cirrus on the A332. And at that case, it could be worse than the original routing. I personally find the LUS A321 comfortable enough even on SFO/LAX-PHL which I have taken a few times.
Color me thoroughly confused. Why trade the guaranteed lie-flat envoy seat from PHL-BCN for a "maybe" lie-flat seat from JFK-BCN just to upgrade the domestic seating? Hope the OP gets the 772 and not the old configuration.

Personally, I'd sit on an RJ across the country if it meant a lie-flat seat on an overnight flight to Europe (a much longer flight than LAX-PHL).

Oh well, to each their own.
FWAAA is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 10:10 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Color me thoroughly confused. Why trade the guaranteed lie-flat envoy seat from PHL-BCN for a "maybe" lie-flat seat from JFK-BCN just to upgrade the domestic seating? Hope the OP gets the 772 and not the old configuration.

Personally, I'd sit on an RJ across the country if it meant a lie-flat seat on an overnight flight to Europe (a much longer flight than LAX-PHL).

Oh well, to each their own.
I find even the older NGBC seats fine for a TATL flight, especially for relatively short flights like JFK-BCN.
Austin787 is offline  
Old May 13, 16, 10:12 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Color me thoroughly confused. Why trade the guaranteed lie-flat envoy seat from PHL-BCN for a "maybe" lie-flat seat from JFK-BCN just to upgrade the domestic seating? Hope the OP gets the 772 and not the old configuration.

Personally, I'd sit on an RJ across the country if it meant a lie-flat seat on an overnight flight to Europe (a much longer flight than LAX-PHL).

Oh well, to each their own.
Agreed, I wish I saw this thread earlier to point that out just in case. Everyone was focused on the LAX-East Coast sector.

BCN-MIA changed often for me in 12/2014...I ended up on a 763 with NGBC. Fine flight, but 3 days later it changed to a CIP 772 back when they only had a few floating around. Still comfortable enough though it was a day flight.
airb330 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread