Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
10F will have the crew seat in front of you, blocking use of underseat storage in front of you. It's also going to be occupied by a crew member staring right back at you during takeoffs and landings. Again, I prefer my recommendation for the ample storage, easy luggage stowing, immediate aisle access and a window seat to sleep on, and you're very close to the mid-section lav. Hope you're able to get some sleep!
Thank you. Switched my seat due to your suggestion
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Row 9/22 A321

Newbie to AA. Can anyone insight if the 2 seaters on the US air legacy 321 recline. Wondering if good pick for wife and I. Like the 2 seater but don’t want a non recliner seat.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Newbie to AA. Can anyone insight if the 2 seaters on the US air legacy 321 recline. Wondering if good pick for wife and I. Like the 2 seater but don’t want a non recliner seat.
My experience with row 9 seats is not recent (within the past 9 months or so, anyway), but I'm pretty sure 9D/E have a very limited recline (about 1/3 to 1/2 the usual). They're okay for anything under 2-3 hours. Beware the arm rests are solid, so the seat will be a bit tight if that's a consideration for you/your wife. There's a ton of leg room, so the lack of recline is not too much of an issue; you can stuff a pillow/blanket/rolled up jacket behind your back and kick your feet forward if need be.

Can't speak to row 22 at all, but note they are immediately aft of the mid-cabin lavatory--not ideal.

SeatGuru is a generally good reference and includes reviews; here's the link for that configuration: AA A321 Layout 2

cheers!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
They are also narrower by at least an inch than the other coach seats. Horrible seats if you are wide at the shoulders, in the middle, or both (like me)
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I completely agree about Row 22. I usually book 23F, and you can even clearly see that the right edge of 22E is not flush with the right edge of 23E. I booked it once and found it very unpleasant. Admittedly I'm usually on 4-5 hour flights.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I agree with the caution on row 22, and I fly these pretty regularly - especially when I'm going transcon (PHL-PHX in particular).

23F is the best coach seat in AA's fleet in my opinion. I've booked 22D or E in the past when 23F was already taken, and they aren't great. Legroom is basically infinite but recline is poor and the hard armrests narrow the seat significantly. I wouldn't have an issue if you know your seatmate, but if not expect to rub shoulders the whole flight with a stranger.

Then there is the proximity to the lav, especially with 22D. you get a lot of butt in your face while pax queue at the lav, and a lot of smelly door openings about two feet from your seat.

Those seats are way behind 23F and 10A/C/B in my book, and even possibly a standard coach seat because of the irregularities with row 22. I definitely would NEVER pay for MCE to get row 22 (not that I have to as a Plat, but I wanted to throw that in there).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
For a party of 2 yes row 22 if row 9 is not available on the LUS321. But not only butt in your face but on an evening flight the constant flashing of light as the door opens and closes.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I have a trip with the outbound tomorrow and the return BOS-PHL-TPA (both 321s); on Oct 22; I'd managed to snag 23F on both.

So I just tried online checkin and discovered that all my seats had changed! I actually had no assignment on the outbound.

I was able to reclaim my outbound 319 bulkhead preference and amazingly 23F was still open BOS-PHL. No such luck on PHL-TPA -- they'd moved me to 10A (with no-one in 10B) so I decided to stay with that.

I've got certs to burn so upgrade requests are in for all, so this might be moot. Or maybe lucky Mr/Ms 23F will get an upgrade.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I have a trip with the outbound tomorrow and the return BOS-PHL-TPA (both 321s); on Oct 22; I'd managed to snag 23F on both.

So I just tried online checkin and discovered that all my seats had changed! I actually had no assignment on the outbound.

I was able to reclaim my outbound 319 bulkhead preference and amazingly 23F was still open BOS-PHL. No such luck on PHL-TPA -- they'd moved me to 10A (with no-one in 10B) so I decided to stay with that.

I've got certs to burn so upgrade requests are in for all, so this might be moot. Or maybe lucky Mr/Ms 23F will get an upgrade.
I'd stick with 10A, the only issue there is the overhead bin space, but the seat has the same legroom.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You're in F which is always better than MC or MCE in my opinion because you can at least have a few cocktails or as much Coke as you want.
Anyone have thoughts as to the best F seats on this plane?
Bulkhead seems appealing, however then I need to worry about the carry-ons (rollerboard and briefcase). The risk of a non-BH seat then being the broken seat back in front of you ending up practically in your lap (which I experienced last week). Just curious as to others’ experiences... Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Srq2112
Anyone have thoughts as to the best F seats on this plane?
Bulkhead seems appealing, however then I need to worry about the carry-ons (rollerboard and briefcase). The risk of a non-BH seat then being the broken seat back in front of you ending up practically in your lap (which I experienced last week). Just curious as to others’ experiences... Thanks
You can’t really stretch your legs if you are tall. I wouldn’t personally select it. Plus you are too close to the galley and of you plan on sleeping it might be difficult. The best seat on LUS a321 in 10ABC edit row. Unlimited legroom and it still comes with free drinks
Srq2112 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yep and no power plorts. I just can't wait for some studio executive/A list talent to settle into an F seat (very prevalent on this route) and not see any power port. AA just started to put the LUS321 on this route.
I've never had a problem with my battery, it's called a back up, they are cheap and last the whole flight.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I've never had a problem with my battery, it's called a back up, they are cheap and last the whole flight.
And in 2019 not everyone carries a battery as presumably power ports are (almost) everywhere.
AANYC1981 and MDFFlyer like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I'd stick with 10A, the only issue there is the overhead bin space, but the seat has the same legroom.
In the end, I didn't get a chance to switch, and as you say the leg room in 10A is similarly huge.. Being in Group 3, I was able to snag bin space.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Regarding F, I tend toward 1C or 1D, although it is a bit annoying to have to put my "underseat" bag overhead.

Regarding Y, one other nice thing about 23F is that it's much easier to get to the aisle. You don't climb over the pax in 23 D/E, you go forward and past 22 D/E, who have enough legroom that they barely have to pull in their feet. And 23F has underseat storage under 21F (not true of 23A because of the crew jumpseat). 23F, interestingly, is not MCE but "preferred." So you can't buy it, but it's free for all elites. You don't get free drinks like MCE does, but I rarely drink liquor anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.