Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA Project Oasis all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some of the LAA routes are starting to be flown by LUS 321s. Its always interesting to see F paxs start to ask what happened to the IFE.
I was looking at an LAX-SFO that came up with the LUS seat map. Should have realized when it said 321 and not 32B.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I just booked CLT-SFO a few days ago for a flight on the 31st a Sunday morning. I took a gander at AA seat map to see what my chances of a upgrade were, I thought they would be pretty good since this plane sucks and it is a Sunday morning. To my surprise there was only 1 seat left in F. I called the EXP line and used a SWU for it, got the last F seat.
I only travel domestically for work so I find it hard to use the SWU's but even still I did not want to waste one on this old plane.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I hate to be pedantic, but a good percentage of the LUS A321s are relatively young aircraft.

I fly them a lot and I don't get the criticism. They're no worse than the 738s.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I hate to be pedantic, but a good percentage of the LUS A321s are relatively young aircraft.

Seat pitch in F is far worse, though I agree, other than that they're really no worse than the 738. Both are terrible aircraft.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

^ This. There are a handful of old turkeys in the fleet in need of a cabin refresh, but for the most part they are only a few years old. I've flown on even more AA 738s that are in far worse shape.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dgparent
I just booked CLT-SFO a few days ago for a flight on the 31st a Sunday morning. I took a gander at AA seat map to see what my chances of a upgrade were, I thought they would be pretty good since this plane sucks and it is a Sunday morning. To my surprise there was only 1 seat left in F. I called the EXP line and used a SWU for it, got the last F seat.
I only travel domestically for work so I find it hard to use the SWU's but even still I did not want to waste one on this old plane.
Good waste of a SWU, the flight between CLT-SFO usually are full in F with paying pax's, since SFO and CLT are heavy banking cities.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Any chance that AA will put power ports, at least in F, on these LUS dogs?
(sorry for the insult, all you dog owners).

Normally, we avoid LUS a/c like the plague (we've never flown via CLT or PHL before), but Mrs. G and I are flying SFO-CLT-FCO in Spring 2017, and I'm hoping for a retrofit of some kind.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Any chance that AA will put power ports, at least in F, on these LUS dogs?
(sorry for the insult, all you dog owners).

Normally, we avoid LUS a/c like the plague (we've never flown via CLT or PHL before), but Mrs. G and I are flying SFO-CLT-FCO in Spring 2017, and I'm hoping for a retrofit of some kind.
Probably at some point, since the retrofitted LUS A319s are getting power ports.

Whether that happens before your trip or not, I tend to doubt it. As I alluded to upthread, many of the LUS A321s were delivered in the past five years or so, so a fleet wide interior retrofit is still probably a few years down the road.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
HUGE mistake in choosing seat 22C on the A321

Dear all,

Let the buyer beware. It's my own fault for not doing research. But the side of me that believes in the good of all others got the better of me.

My husband needed to fly LAX-PHL (for the DNC). I got a good fare on AA, and I purchased Main Cabin Extra for an additional $64. I opted for seat 22C, as it was an exit row.

As a UA flyer, I just didn't know the AA system very well.

My husband just texted. Here is what he wrote:

"I literally had the very WORST seat on plane. Flight attended kept on apologizing to me and telling me how bad she felt for me.

Add endless lines for smelly toilet and a parades of butts directly in my face. And getting hit every minute by everyone because seat protrudes onto aisle."

Only after I got the texts did I consult with seat guru.

Would a letter to AA warrant a refund of the fee? While he had extra leg room, the seat is 3 inches narrower. Not exactly premium!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by zrs70
Would a letter to AA warrant a refund of the fee? While he had extra leg room, the seat is 3 inches narrower. Not exactly premium!
Unlikely. AA markets Main Cabin Extra as having additional legroom and Group 1 boarding privileges, both of which he received, albeit with additional "features" that ultimately made the seat undesirable.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Which version of the A321? The LAA (sharklets wingtip devices, power, IFE, AA i terior decor) or LUS A321(US volors and decor, standard A320 mini-winglet, no power)?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Goog question. Not sure. It was AA 700 this morning.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Well, if you figure it out, perhaps you can ask the Mods to consolidate your remarks into the respective master seating thread on AA 321s.

US Airways-origin: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...hreads-29.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by 3cforme
well, if you figure it out, perhaps you can ask the mods to consolidate your remarks into the respective master seating thread on aa 321s.
n179uw, lus
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Based on the OPs details of the seat, it was the LUS Airbus A321. None of the other 321s have 22 as an exit row.

@ OP:
Glad you posted this as wife & I have Vegas flights coming up on A321. Checked just now and it's on the LUS A321, so I moved our seats from 22 up toward the front of the cabin. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.