Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Uzzar
I prefer row 4 on LUS 321's, if the recline is limted any more than the other rows, it is not noticeable. I like not having to worry about reclining into anyone else's space, and also not having someone behind use my seat back to steady themselves on the way to the lav.
same here, plus I also don’t have to worry about someone behind using my arm rests as a footstool, though that might be a problem once they start densifying the 321 fleet and remove the Y bulkhead.
AANYC1981 and Uzzar like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Just an update, as I am unable to edit the Wiki above:

American is now identifying both LAA and LUS A321's simply as A321. You have to actually look at the seat map to determine if its LAA or LUS. The transcon is designated as A32B and the A321 NEO is designated as A32Q.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
As long as these aircraft are in service with this layout, it is about time to designate 10F, 23A and 23F MCE.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by owflyer
As long as these aircraft are in service with this layout, it is about time to designate 10F, 23A and 23F MCE.
Shhh! I'm only gold . 23F will make EWR - PHX almost bearable next week!
iksneznem likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by owflyer
they don’t want to confuse passengers and probably FAs. Cuz it would be weird when 23F gets a free drink and 23DE doesn’t.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by gateH15

they don’t want to confuse passengers and probably FAs. Cuz it would be weird when 23F gets a free drink and 23DE doesn’t.
Exactly. These seats used to be MCE, but changed when the free booze was introduced
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by AAway

Exactly. These seats used to be MCE, but changed when the free booze was introduced
as long as 23AF still have extra legroom I’ll take it. Don’t care if it comes with free booze or not
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by gateH15

as long as 23AF still have extra legroom I’ll take it. Don’t care if it comes with free booze or not
It does as EXP! 10F too!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:03 am

AA Airbus A321 Seats

Hello,

I booked a ticket from LAX to PHL on that plane. It's an older plane with no entertainment (fine with me as I can just use my Ipad and charge it ahead of time), and tight seats. I'm cheap but want to pay a little extra for a comfortable seat since it's a red eye. There's a seat 10F that looks good. On AA's map, there's no seat in front of it, but it says standard leg room. On SeatGuru it has a crew jump seat in front and says there is extra legroom.

Which is it?? I assume AA's is the most accurate description, but wanted to see if anyone has background with this plane.

Thanks,

I would ask this on Tripadvisor, but I don't really like their message boards.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes you will have extended room as the jump seat is quite a ways back. You can also get in and out of 10F without forcing the middle and/or the aisle to get up.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Thanks George. Wouldn't I have to though go in front of row 9?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by JustineG
Thanks George. Wouldn't I have to though go in front of row 9?
Seat 9F does not exist, which is why you can walk straight out of your seat. You will cut in front of 9D & 9E, but the amount of space they have in front of them is very large, so you wouldn't need them to get up.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
JustineG,

If you aren't making a connection in PHL at all, or you don't have a tight connection, I would also recommend 23A or 23F.

Depends if you have status with AA, but if you don't, selection of 23A or 23F will likely cost a bit less $$ to select. The only difference is that they are not identified as MCE, and thus not eligible for free alcoholic drinks. If getting off the plane earlier and the free drinks aren't a priority for you, I would suggestion 23F, which is my favorite seat on the plane. You will have both a window and access to the aisle by just stepping out of your seat. In addition, during boarding (even in groups 5 or 6) you will likely be able to just walk to the back of the plane and find ample baggage room overhead. In addition, I often find 23E to remain empty next to me. Also, you can use the underseat of 21F for small items (it's a reach, but still your territory if 23E is filled. This is not and option for 23A, as the bulkhead is eventually in front of you.

Just my $0.02!
Leighjohnwi
pa3lsvt and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
JustineG,

If you aren't making a connection in PHL at all, or you don't have a tight connection, I would also recommend 23A or 23F.

Depends if you have status with AA, but if you don't, selection of 23A or 23F will likely cost a bit less $$ to select. The only difference is that they are not identified as MCE, and thus not eligible for free alcoholic drinks. If getting off the plane earlier and the free drinks aren't a priority for you, I would suggestion 23F, which is my favorite seat on the plane. You will have both a window and access to the aisle by just stepping out of your seat. In addition, during boarding (even in groups 5 or 6) you will likely be able to just walk to the back of the plane and find ample baggage room overhead. In addition, I often find 23E to remain empty next to me. Also, you can use the underseat of 21F for small items (it's a reach, but still your territory if 23E is filled. This is not and option for 23A, as the bulkhead is eventually in front of you.

Just my $0.02!
Leighjohnwi
I have 0 status (don't travel for business). 23F was actually my first choice but I thought 10F would be better since it's the front of the plane. It's the same price if I switch to 23F.

I think I may actually switch to 23F due to your recommendation. I don't care about free drinks since it's a red eye and I would rather not have alcohol in me. What you said about the luggage though is helpful. I am doing "hidden city" ticketing and I know there is a chance they will select me to turn in my luggage. Hopefully this won't be the case since it's just a 4day3night trip though.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Taking one of these MIA-LAX tomorrow, still no IFE in F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.