Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
All AA mainline jets have it. Some 321's have seat back entertainment.
The question remains, which 321s? Not the LUS ones, certainly.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Only LAA 321s have AVOD.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
It's not hard to figure out, the 32B's have it, and the original question was regarding streaming entertainment which.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:35 am

All AA mainline jets have it. Some 321's have seat back entertainment.
So if all mainline jets have streaming entertainment, how come so many people complain about NO entertainment on long mainline flights?

There is a big difference between no option and the less preferable option of streaming vs seatback.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:32 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mileshound
So if all mainline jets have streaming entertainment, how come so many people complain about NO entertainment on long mainline flights?

There is a big difference between no option and the less preferable option of streaming vs seatback.
Because the vast majority do not have or can't afford a tablet or a laptop (those who have a company laptop often can't install the gogo flash plugin due to administrative limitations - you will be surprised some companies do not install flash) and a smartphone screen isn't big enough to really enjoy a full feature film.

Personally - I like streaming option, but I have an iPad Pro (and 3 other iPads) so I am biased.

I really hope AA will install AVOD on the LUS 321s as the A321 will be the backbone of their domestic fleet and that way they can easily provide AVOD on all transcontinental, Hawaii, and high yielding Caribbean routes with their A321s and AVOD 737s/319s. AVODs are great, but a bit of a waste on short flights given its cost and weight plus the fact the flight is too short to really put the AVOD to full use. So does not make sense to put them on the legacy LUS 319s and 320s, but the 321s are a different story IMHO.

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 13, 2016 at 7:37 am
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by golfingboy

I really hope AA will install AVOD on the LUS 321s as the A321 will be the backbone of their domestic fleet and that way they can easily provide AVOD on all transcontinental, Hawaii, and high yielding Caribbean routes with their A321s and AVOD 737s/319s. AVODs are great, but a bit of a waste on short flights given its cost and weight plus the fact the flight is too short to really put the AVOD to full use. So does not make sense to put them on the legacy LUS 319s and 320s, but the 321s are a different story IMHO.
I wish AVOD is installed on all narrow body planes, since LUS 319/A320's have the legs to make PHX-CLT it can be subbed if necessary.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
my understanding is that AVOD can't be economically added to these planes unless they are ordered with certain wiring options. I doubt DP would have paid a $1 more than he had to so i'd guess the chances of getting it are pretty slim. I recently flew BOS-LAX on a 738 that didn't even have it. I just bring my own tablet with my own content and be happy with what I got.

Fire tablets are like $50 these days.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I wish AVOD is installed on all narrow body planes, since LUS 319/A320's have the legs to make PHX-CLT it can be subbed if necessary.
My thinking is get all A321s wired up with AVOD then reshuffle equipment where LAA 319s and handful 738s will be re-allocated to non-LUS 321 transcon flights and the 320s will move over to DFW/ORD covering the midcons. This way all 4.5+ hours flights will have AVOD. To achieve that they have to install AVOD on all LUS 321s, but odds are slim based on how cheap they have been going with the other retrofits - or even when it comes to fleet harmonization.

Originally Posted by ellinj
Didn't realize they are that cheap...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by YtravelF
The big hang up is whether to install seat back AVOD. The capital outlay would be enormous and AA isn't sure it's worth it since they are going to upgrade to satellite based Gogo. The decision should be made soon though.
Speaking of go go I was flying phx-msp on Saturday and I was able to watch movies for free via the AA app using go go wifi. I didn't know AA offered free streaming (like UA does) for movies. Is this new?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Speaking of go go I was flying phx-msp on Saturday and I was able to watch movies for free via the AA app using go go wifi. I didn't know AA offered free streaming (like UA does) for movies. Is this new?
Been a month or so, they offered because both UA and DL are.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy

Didn't realize they are that cheap...
The hd8 is $89.99 and claims a 12hr battery life, there is $49.99 model as well but I don't think I'd buy it unless you were really trying to save money.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ellinj

Just purchased a iPad 4 64 gig wifi (refurbished) for $269 on groupon.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (16 years), HILTON Gold, ZE Gold,DL Silver
LUS 321 coming to an airport near you...

Hi all- I wanted to point out that here in DFW-land the cross-fleeting has taken off with a vengence With the battle of scheduling vs OPS over, one of the most frequented routes I fly, DFW-SAN has been taken over by LUS321's. 7 of the 10 round-trips per day! Only 3 flights are on LAA planes/crews. My last experience on Nov. 10 was just about the one that "broke the camel's back" only it was my back. Upgrade to 1st came through(even before arrival at the airport!) Had seat 3D- the most broken down cushions I have ever experienced. Not just the bottom-- the seat back was so bad that I could feel the beam that runs through the middle of the back on my spine the entire way. I even had the blanket folded up and it didn't even help! I was almost paralyzed from sitting. I had tried to book away from those planes, but the most recent schedule change undid my efforts. I will not fly on another one until AA refurbishes every last one.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:55 pm

A321 clt - lax

I'm pretty sure these are the old US Airways planes. I'm flying this route with the wife and 3 kids. Any TV screens in the back of seats in first class? Any TV drop downs at all?

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
You're 100% correct, fly these CLT-LAX and CLT-SFO often

No power; no TVs (not even overhead I don't think). You can bring your own device and watch over the wifi for free.

It's a shame on a 6 hour hub to major WC city transcon they can't at least provide power esp when compared to Delta (tvs at every seat and even some lie flats in first ATL-LAX and ATL-SFO)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.