Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
I've been monitoring AA56 on Expertflyer for the last few days since I had to book a last minute trip to London for next week. It seems that on this route, C inventory is generally being released between 6 and 48 hours out, depending on load. Weekend flights are busy, with tomorrow and Sunday already at J2, but midweek flights are far less crowded in the J cabin. I'm quietly confident that my request for Monday will clear between tomorrow and Sunday night/Monday morning.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:28 am

Newbie to this forum but wanted to get opinions on my chances of my waitlisted SWU clearing. 01 March flight 51 LHR-DFW, Y to J. I am EXP. This is Saturday travel via 77W and international connecting. J has only 16 open seats per seat map and MCE is almost completely full. Booked and waitlist 3 weeks ago. My question is : are my chances potentially better for SWU clearing since my 01 March travel is after the 28 February expiration of some SWUs?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does the class of purchase trumps the time of purchase? Let's say I purchase deep discount economy now and request a SWU, then someone later books full economy and also requests SWU. Bot are EXPs, which one would have higher priority - the one who purchased earlier or the one who bought more expensive economy tkt?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by photodave
I've been monitoring AA56 on Expertflyer for the last few days since I had to book a last minute trip to London for next week. It seems that on this route, C inventory is generally being released between 6 and 48 hours out, depending on load. Weekend flights are busy, with tomorrow and Sunday already at J2, but midweek flights are far less crowded in the J cabin. I'm quietly confident that my request for Monday will clear between tomorrow and Sunday night/Monday morning.
Inventory actually opened up yesterday evening (Friday). Expertflyer for the win!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by TokinaMaso
Does the class of purchase trumps the time of purchase? Let's say I purchase deep discount economy now and request a SWU, then someone later books full economy and also requests SWU. Bot are EXPs, which one would have higher priority - the one who purchased earlier or the one who bought more expensive economy tkt?
In theory, Y and B fares trump time of request. All other fare buckets are equal.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
In theory, Y and B fares trump time of request. All other fare buckets are equal.
Thanks, that makes sense. I thought maybe H, K, M, L, W, V would have higher priority than G, Q, N, O, S or even more segmented. I guess Y and B are not that often purchased and then upgraded using SWU, because of the much higher price and relatively low difference with business class fare, that would be a waste of SWU and (not earned) bonus miles on paid business fare.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
I'm 16/16 on successful SWUs all from the US<>NRT,HND,PVG,PEK in the past 18 months. 6 cleared at booking the rest cleared pre T-24. Never fly transatlantic.

On an unrelated note, I'm 12/22 on OpUps on CX from Y+ to J long haul in the past 18 months CX is just baiting me to make the switch
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Last year, I don't think any of my SWUs cleared at the time of booking. However, all eventually cleared. I managed to use 10 of them last year.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by TokinaMaso
Thanks, that makes sense. I thought maybe H, K, M, L, W, V would have higher priority than G, Q, N, O, S or even more segmented. I guess Y and B are not that often purchased and then upgraded using SWU, because of the much higher price and relatively low difference with business class fare, that would be a waste of SWU and (not earned) bonus miles on paid business fare.
Yes, although some companies don't allow any sort of premium tickets to be purchased, no matter how little the difference.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:12 pm

Is there any reason we have a new thread for this discussion? Shouldn't we have it in the Upgrade Success thread (below) so users can find all the info they need in one place?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by Stripy
Is there any reason we have a new thread for this discussion? Shouldn't we have it in the Upgrade Success thread (below) so users can find all the info they need in one place?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Good question. This thread seems to focus more on SWU clearing on the international routes, whereas the other thread seems to be heavy on domestic sticker upgrade clearing, although there are some scattered international SWU clearance discussion.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:07 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Another data point, Flight 153 ORD-NRT departing on 2/7, ticketed 1/9, cleared 2/5 and the seatmap shows 24 open seats. First time my connecting flight to ORD cleared before my SWU.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gcsmith
1/2 in the last week. I booked 77W DFW-LHR 50 on the way out, 51 back (Saturday - Saturday). It was half full in business when I booked, so I took the risk. Bad call! Think about it, Saturday is actually a busy day for these flights for business travelers that must work a full week, which is often important when flying so far.

Anyway, both flights filled up close to departure. It was J2 for the departure, even with connecting flight and 24hr check-in I was #3. Missed. Had an ExpertFlyer notice a few hours ago on 51 though, C1/J4. Called in and the agent was shocked I could get the seat, and grabbed it quickly. So even EXP agents don't see many upgrades on 77W.
I had almost the exact same experience. Except, I was #1 on the list and I didn't clear. Unfortunately, the thin margin between using an SWU and ending up in the ten across 77W Y section is a gamble I am not usually willing to take.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I've successfully used two dozen SWUs in less than two years. Most were waitlisted, but I've only had two attempts that failed. The first was on the last day in February last year, when it seemed that everyone was truing to use an expiring upgrade. The other was a flight switch less than 48 hours in advance (although I've also had a couple successes on even shorter flight changes). Overall I'm very confident of success, but would prefer earlier clearing for seat and meal selection.

One point I've yet to figure out: How much priority does a through passenger really get? Does it move you ahead of all non-through passengers (still within your own level, I presume)? This feature might justify a deliberate connection, rather than a non-stop, for a last minute booking.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Waitlisted on AA50 and AA51 on Feb 17th and Feb 28th respectively. Both J cabins are now about half full . Purchased the tickets a month and a half ago when J was very empty (6 seats sold) and MCE was 60% full.

Hoping for an upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.