FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   US Airways Ticket says AAGold but I am Plat. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1544530-us-airways-ticket-says-aagold-but-i-am-plat.html)

NathanL104 Jan 23, 2014 7:25 am

US Airways Ticket says AAGold but I am Plat.

I've flown us airways twice since the merger completed, and both times my boarding pass has listed me as AAGold. I received platinum status in December 2013 and my AA Account clearly has me listed as a Platinum member.

I haven't noticed any difference in benfits on US Airways, and no miles have posted yet so I can't see if I got the 25 or 100% bonus.

Anyone else have this issue? I'd like to have it resolved because I need those checked bags benefits in April!

Microwave Jan 23, 2014 7:56 am

You sure they haven't just equated AA Platinum (50k/year qualification) to US Gold (50k/year qualification)? I've not seen a boarding pass and I haven't got any idea how the backend systems work, but that was my first thought since the levels roughly equate...

NathanL104 Jan 23, 2014 8:05 am

Could be! That's a good theory.

dtremit Jan 23, 2014 10:52 am

For an AA elite, there's very little practical difference between the two -- many of the US Gold benefits (award ticketing fee waivers, *A status, or upgrade priority) don't apply to AA elites at this point anyway. And I am pretty sure AA is doing the bonus mile calculation, not US.

So far as I can tell, the only real difference you'd see would be with baggage -- technically a US Silver (=AA Gold) shouldn't get a priority tag, and only one bag would be free. So if you checked a bag, did it get priority tagged?

Ready2Go Jan 23, 2014 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 22207303)
You sure they haven't just equated AA Platinum (50k/year qualification) to US Gold (50k/year qualification)? I've not seen a boarding pass and I haven't got any idea how the backend systems work, but that was my first thought since the levels roughly equate...

Doubt it. I've flown US twice this month, and my boarding passes say "AA EXECPLAT."

aBroadAbroad Jan 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Did you purchase your tix before reaching plat?

Husband flew cathay a few weeks ago and BP read OW ruby instead of sapphire even though aa.com definitely had him listed as plat. Didn't really matter since he was in biz, but did think it was a bit odd. Just assumed it was because he hadn't reached plat until after the ticket was originally purchased.

Neither of us has flown any partner flights since then, so not sure if it's been corrected... perhaps it's an AA communication glitch?

CaptainEasychord Jan 23, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm PLT and just got my US boarding pass with "AA PLATINUM".

wandertheglobe Jan 24, 2014 12:57 am

Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord (Post 22211392)

Did you have to do anything to set that up at US Air? I'm in a similar situation, I'm Plat w/AA but no status w/ US Air although I do have an account there. I just booked at flight w/US Air and called them to "improve" my seat assignment. The agent (who was very good) didn't have my AA account info. I gave him my # and once he added it he had all of my info. I did book the flight using my US Air number however.

NathanL104 Jan 24, 2014 6:03 am

I purchased the tickets after becoming a Plat. member. Okay, well I'll have to call and straighten it out--it doesn't matter right now because I never check bags, but I have a big trip coming up in April and I'd like to check 3 bags for each person on my reservation.

CaptainEasychord Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by wandertheglobe (Post 22212561)
Did you have to do anything to set that up at US Air?

I also originally booked it with my no-status US number. All I did was call US to enter my AA number after Jan. 7, but they didn't do anything else for me. I was able to pick exit seats online after they made that change.

goldstj2 Jan 24, 2014 10:12 am

US flight today, same situation as NathanL104. I wonder if AA is occasionally batching member information over to US, and it's still reflecting the AA Gold status I held until late December 2013 when I made AA Plat.

aamilesslave Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am

I bet there is some sort of batch update lag. My US BPs show AAdvantage Platinum status.

Ready2Go Jan 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104 (Post 22213306)
I purchased the tickets after becoming a Plat. member. Okay, well I'll have to call and straighten it out--it doesn't matter right now because I never check bags, but I have a big trip coming up in April and I'd like to check 3 bags for each person on my reservation.

As per your original post, you'll still want to get your correct elite status bonus.

goldstj2 Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by goldstj2 (Post 22214621)
US flight today, same situation as NathanL104. I wonder if AA is occasionally batching member information over to US, and it's still reflecting the AA Gold status I held until late December 2013 when I made AA Plat.

When the flights posted on AA (after 5 days), it posted with the correct Platinum bonus, not a Gold bonus.

My boarding pass for tomorrow says AA Gold

jmanirish Jan 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by goldstj2 (Post 22253943)
When the flights posted on AA (after 5 days), it posted with the correct Platinum bonus, not a Gold bonus.

My boarding pass for tomorrow says AA Gold

When did you purchase these tickets and what elite level were you at the time? If I recall I had a similar situation just with AA alone where my reservation showed my elite status when I made the booking, and not what I currently was at. Took a quick call to AA to have them "refresh" this (I think they might have just unattached my FF# and then reattach it). Was quick/painless.

randidliyo Jan 31, 2014 5:34 am

+2

chitownjeff Jan 31, 2014 6:18 am

I'm AA Plat and am flying US in two weeks - did your pre-check also automatically show up on your US tickets, or did you have to call someone?

seawolf Feb 2, 2014 6:30 am

Which boarding zone does it show?

My passbook US BP for exit row show AA Platinum but it show Zone 1 boarding. Zone 1 doesn't seem to be preferred.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/checkin/airportcheckin/boarding_process.html

Flyer78 Feb 2, 2014 7:22 am

Listen for the announcements. The US BP only lists numbers for zones, so anything that would be preferred access is zone 1. This includes First Class, DM Elites, Star Elites, AA Elites, etc. All will say Zone 1.

The most usual process in the last week is pre-board special needs, invite to board all First Class, followed three seconds later by calling all Uniformed Military, US CP, AA ExPlat, followed almost immediately by the rest of the elites, then the zones.

PainCorp Feb 2, 2014 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 22207303)

This is it. Right now top tier US fliers are shown as Emerald, when there is no *A Emerald.

seawolf Feb 2, 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer78 (Post 22270260)
Listen for the announcements. The US BP only lists numbers for zones, so anything that would be preferred access is zone 1. This includes First Class, DM Elites, Star Elites, AA Elites, etc. All will say Zone 1.

The most usual process in the last week is pre-board special needs, invite to board all First Class, followed three seconds later by calling all Uniformed Military, US CP, AA ExPlat, followed almost immediately by the rest of the elites, then the zones.

Thanks. I missed pre-boarding today. Got to gate 35 minutes prior to departure for LGA-CTL and they were already boarding zone 3! I rarely see boarding start so early.

Flyer78 Feb 2, 2014 1:03 pm

Wow, that is a bit aggressive. I have seen earlier boarding for wide-body flights domestically, but usually they can't get to Zone 3 until 75% of the plane is boarded...

cova Feb 2, 2014 1:24 pm

I have pre-merger US ticket and waited until after the merger benefits kicked in (after Jan 17th) before changing the FF number from US # (no status) to AA # (EXP). However, it still shows in the reservation that 1st bag is $25. But putting in my EXP # did allow me to move to preferred seats for no charge.

On US flight earlier in January I used my UA 1K number and the reservation showed no baggage fee. I don't expect to pay baggage, likely something that still needs fixed in the US site.

NathanL104 Mar 25, 2014 9:13 am

Update

Just an update on this. I flew on Sunday PWM to PHL on a US Airways award ticket. I am AA Platinum but my ticket STILL says AA Gold. I don't ever check bags so I don't care about this right now, but I have a trip coming up where I really need the 3 free checked bags.

I will have to call and sort it out, but I hate the hold times...

iAdam Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104 (Post 22584665)
Just an update on this. I flew on Sunday PWM to PHL on a US Airways award ticket. I am AA Platinum but my ticket STILL says AA Gold. I don't ever check bags so I don't care about this right now, but I have a trip coming up where I really need the 3 free checked bags.

I will have to call and sort it out, but I hate the hold times...

Weird. Maybe they have to remove your AA# and readd it. I just flew Sunday and my platinum status shows on USAir and it included TSA Pre.