Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on
NOTE: Check AA award charts for current awards costs.

List of airlines you can use in redeeming awards:

oneworld airlines (and their oneworld affiliates) are:
  • AA - American Airlines (and American Eagle)
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AT - Royal Air Maroc
  • BA - British Airways (and BA Cityflyer, BA Euroflyer, Sun Air of Scandinavia) (incurs high YQ surcharge)
  • CX - Cathay Pacific
  • AY - Finnair (and Norra)
  • IB - Iberia (and Air Nostrum, Iberia Express) (incurs YQ surcharge)
  • JL - Japan Airlines (and J-Air)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian
  • QF - Qantas (and QantasLink, Jetconnect - not Jetstar)
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • UL - SriLankan Airlines

Non-oneworld airlines one can redeem (MileSAAver) awards on are:
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • CZ - China Southern
  • EY - Etihad Airways
  • FJ - Fiji Airways (oneworld Connect partner)
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines - except mainland - islands

Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:

oneworld alliance partners and other partners
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • AA - American Airlines
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AY - Finnair
  • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ airline imposed surcharge)
  • FJ - Fiji Airways
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines (not interisland not North America - Hawaii)
  • IB - Iberia (lesser YQ surcharge)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • QF - Qantas Airways
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
  • UL - Sri Lankan Airlines

All other airlines have to be requested by telephone; calling to book awards that cannot be booked online no longer incurs telephone service fees.

Routing assistance, etc.

Check this oneworld interactive map and timetable by Innosked to see potential routes, and you can sign up for British Airways Executive Club or Qantas Frequent Flyer to use their sites to find awards (look for the lowest level awards) you can't see on aa.com. Also see this link to AA.com listing oneworld airlines with information about each.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
(Routings allowed)

Awards may be put on hold for five days. Awards may take time to be verified by the operating airlines. Once approved, they will proceed to a booking queue for ticket issuance; the sooner the trip, the faster the process - and vice versa. See link to thread, below.

Booking for, or changing an award to, travel sooner than 21 days out requires an early booking fee (waived for Executive Platinum members). One can not book farther out, change to closer in and evade this fee any longer (as of 16 Feb 2012)

Booking Business or First awards with JL / Japan Airlines one will only be able to fly in Economy domestically in Japan, but upgrades are quite inexpensive at 1,000 or so per flight.

See more below in "General Rules"

Latest changes:
  • As of Aug 2017, Connections are limited to two connections / three flight segments for domestic awards, and three connections / four flight segments for international awards. Link
  • Nov 2016: MH can now be used on AA or CX transpacific awards to India subcontinent via HKG in addition to CX
  • May 6, 2016: Regions split (Indian Subcontinent, Middle East)
  • As of 7 April 2014, the "free stopover" discussed can no longer be used as free award stopovers at international North American gateways have been eliminated.
  • Airlines are normally precluded from writing tickets with more than 16 segments.

AA Region Definitions*
Region definitions changed again May 6, 2016. Link

Links and resources:

updated April 2021. Modified and updated from JonNYC's original post in the archived thread (please feel free to update):

Introduction

There are two types of awards discussed below, AA Awards and oneworld and Other Airlines Awards, which are targeted to passengers traveling to a single destination.

As of 1 October 2010 awards may be redeemed for travel on all British Airways flights, including previously excluded flights between the U.S. and U.K. Note that additional British Airways high YQ surcharges, as well as Iberia's lower YQ surcharges, apply based on class-of-service and market flown: see Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Award Rules
  • American Airlines Awards are valid for travel on flights that are marketed and operated by AA (no codeshares). These awards can be booked online at AA.com.
  • oneworld and Other Airline awards are valid for travel on AA and any of its partner airlines, and can include travel on multiple partners. Many of these awards must be booked over the phone, and will not incur a Ticketing Service Charge (waived for EXPs in any case) if they cannot be booked online.
  • Up to four one-way awards can be booked on a single PNR.

General Rules, Routing and Connections

Passenger has 4h on domestic / 23h59m international travel to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover may require two awards).

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m windows and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight.

Effective on 14 Jul 2014 on an all-AA-metal award itinerary, you now have up to 18 hours to connect when traveling to/from Hawaii [[URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25730421-post993.html"]Ref]

The particular carrier's Maximum Permitted Miles / MPM + 25% on a particular route. (The MPM by itself often exceeds the distance between the origin and destination airports because connections may be required.)

Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards.

Stopovers
None allowed.

Partner award inventories

Award booking inventory classes for each carrier in the AAdvantage Award program are listed below and may be useful when on the phone with an AA rep or when checking availability. See also the Award Booking Codes page in the FlyerGuide wiki for updated information.

Code:
oneworld Partners First Business Economy
--------------------------------------------------------
AA - American Airlines Z U T
AY  Finnair U X
BA  British Airways Z U X
CX  Cathay Pacific Z U T
IB  Iberia U X
JL  Japan Airlines (Intl) Z U T
JL  Japan Airlines (Dom) Z D S
MH - Malaysia Airlines P U X
QF - QANTAS Airways P U X
QR - Qatar Airways Z U X
RJ  Royal Jordanian U X
S7  S7 Airlines U E
UL - SriLankan Airlines

Other Partners First Business Economy
FJ  Fiji Airways U X
TN  Air Tahiti Nui F for Business U for Economy
LY  El Al Israel P X E
EY - Etihad O I N
HA  Hawaiian Airlines D T

General Routing Rules

Routing

General Rules

Passenger has 4h / 23h59m to connect (depending on domestic or international travel). If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover.

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m window and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight. It is not necessary to check every flight/carrier to ensure passenger is booked on next scheduled flight.

Must meet Married Segment Logic - a prospective trip may be available when searching segment by segment, yet not be bookable through from origin to destination. When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable.

If the partner airline doesnt sell an unconstructed ticket for the desired routing, it wont offer an award using that routing.

Within North America
  • Awards wholly within North America are valid on all partner airlines that market and operate their own service within North America.
  • Travel between two cities in the United States via Canada/Mexico is not allowed.
  • Travel between two cities in Canada/Mexico via the United States is not allowed.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connections of more than 4 hours are considered a stopover unless the passenger is taking the next scheduled flight and it is outside the 4 hours.
  • Any connection of 24 hours is always considered a stopover.
  • Award travel between Hawaii and North America does not include inter-island flights.
  • Inter-island award travel will allow a maxium of 2 flight segments.

North America To/from Other Regions
  • Award travel to/from North America is allowed on any combination of carriers that service the applicable region except as noted below.
  • Passenger must use most direct routing.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not valid for these awards.
  • As of Oct 1, 2010, British Airways is valid for all routes, including transatlantic flights between the U.S. and U.K.
  • Travel to Europe, Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent/Middle East must be via the Atlantic only.
  • Travel to Asia 1, Asia 2 and the South Pacific must be via the Pacific.
  • Travel to/from Fiji/Papeete cannot be via Australia/New Zealand.
  • Travel to Easter Island (IPC) must be via Papeete (PPT) or use two awards.
  • North American travel to/from Guam or Saipan, the transpacific segment must be on AA.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 23h59m will be considered a stopover.

Travel Wholly Within or Between All Other Regions
These awards do not allow a connection via North America and therefore, do not include travel on American Airlines.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connecting travel is not allowed outside the region or regions.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 24 hours will be considered a stopover.

Travel Via a Third Region

Travel via a third region is not allowed (note the exception table below).

EXCEPTION TABLE:
To/From Via
  • North America to/from Africa can connect in Europe or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • North America to/from Asia 2 can connect in Asia 1
  • Central/South America to/from Africa can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from South Pacific can connect in South America 2
  • South America 2 to/from Africa can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • South America 2 to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Europe to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.
  • Africa to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Africa to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2
  • Asia 1 to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2

Regions:
  • Asia 1 = Japan, Korea, Mongolia
  • Asia 2 = Bhutan, Brunei, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Saipan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
  • South America 2 = Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile (excluding Easter Island), Paraguay, Uruguay

Travel on LAN direct flights between North America and South America Region 2 are allowed. Currently, only one market, Miami to/from Buenos Aries, has direct service. These can only be booked by the liaisons. Contact support for booking assistance.

For permitted changes and fees, see this post

NOTE: New award charts are in place for awards made 22 March 2016 or later. See the American Airlines charts here and the oneworld and partner award charts here, both those effective through 21 March 2016 and those taking effect 22 Mar 2016.
Awards assistance tools: Use at your own risk; may not be up to date. These are not recommendations.
  • AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Second
  • AwardHacker: "a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles"
  • Award Nexus: which can search availability but can't determine cost, with FT member free limited use
  • Economical Excursionist's Tools: compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions
  • ExpertFlyer is a common tool used on FT. There is a $99.99 annual fee, monthly fee and five day trial
  • Great Circle Mapper is useful for calculating distance and MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage)
  • You can try PEX+ (currently in beta), which will even tell you how many miles you'll need, though it draws data from aa.com and S7 so it can't reveal awards that can not be seen on those sites.
  • Travel Codex Award Maximiser commercial blog
Print Wikipost

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:43 pm

I've got a question that even most of the agents I've talked to have been unclear on the answer to. Figured I'd ask the real experts.

I'm trying to get to India. It looks like my options are BA, QR, CX, and EY (or AA connecting to one of those). BA, QR, and CX are oneworld partners. EY is a non-oneworld partner. Business class is unavailable on my dates, so I'm going to have to book economy and hope to upgrade close-in. Am I correct in understanding that if I change between oneworld and non-oneworld partners (or vice versa), there's a fee involved? I can't find documentation on it, but I'm thinking it's ~$150. So if I book on EY, and space comes available on CX instead, it would be $150 (plus the extra miles) to change it. Is that correct?

Also, I think the wiki is outdated (in two places) about transiting a 3rd region to India. You're now allowed to transit Europe, Middle East, and HKG (on AA or CX only). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bobert24
I've got a question that even most of the agents I've talked to have been unclear on the answer to. Figured I'd ask the real experts.

I'm trying to get to India. It looks like my options are BA, QR, CX, and EY (or AA connecting to one of those). BA, QR, and CX are oneworld partners. EY is a non-oneworld partner. Business class is unavailable on my dates, so I'm going to have to book economy and hope to upgrade close-in. Am I correct in understanding that if I change between oneworld and non-oneworld partners (or vice versa), there's a fee involved? I can't find documentation on it, but I'm thinking it's ~$150. So if I book on EY, and space comes available on CX instead, it would be $150 (plus the extra miles) to change it. Is that correct?

Also, I think the wiki is outdated (in two places) about transiting a 3rd region to India. You're now allowed to transit Europe, Middle East, and HKG (on AA or CX only). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct, even if your origin and destination remain the same, changing your award from AA/EY to AA/CX should trigger the $150 fee.
bobert24 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:39 am

How much time to confirm award on BA

From the wiki:
Awards may take time to be verified by the operating airlines. Once approved, they will proceed to a booking queue for ticket issuance; the sooner the trip, the faster the process - and vice versa. See link to thread, below.
How much time usually takes to get a confirmation for an award on BA? Couldn't find the link mentioned at the wiki to a separate thread.

Thanks,
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lostfly
From the wiki:

How much time usually takes to get a confirmation for an award on BA? Couldn't find the link mentioned at the wiki to a separate thread.

Thanks,
There's no set time, for any awards I've had involving BA they usually ticket within 2-6 hrs. If it hasn't ticketed within 48 hrs then give AA a call back.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There's no set time, for any awards I've had involving BA they usually ticket within 2-6 hrs. If it hasn't ticketed within 48 hrs then give AA a call back.
Thanks. I admit that the wording used at the wiki sounded a bit worrying. As it could take days just for being approved, let alone ticketing. May be the wiki reference is for other airlines. Thanks again
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I admit that the wording used at the wiki sounded a bit worrying. As it could take days just for being approved, let alone ticketing. May be the wiki reference is for other airlines. Thanks again
Yea, in layman's terms the wiki wording should really read like this: "Awards involving partner carriers can take anywhere from a few hours (most often) to a few days (rare circumstances) to ticket as the ticket must be confirmed in the partner carrier's reservations system."

People stress out on here all the time about how long it takes for an award to ticket, but there's really nothing at all to worry about or be concerned with. If the award space is there and you grabbed it and put it in for ticketing then it's yours (outside of very rare circumstances not even worth mentioning here).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:17 pm

One more thing. I see that it is possible to put a BA award reservation on hold, same as an AA award. Does the seat actually get reserved when you put the award reservation on hold? I know that this is true for AA own awards. But in case of partners awards, does it reserves at the operating airline? I hope so, because otherwise the reservation on hold wouldn't make much sense.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
One more thing. I see that it is possible to put a BA award reservation on hold, same as an AA award. Does the seat actually get reserved when you put the award reservation on hold? I know that this is true for AA own awards. But in case of partners awards, does it reserves at the operating airline? I hope so, because otherwise the reservation on hold wouldn't make much sense.
Yes, because otherwise the reservation on hold wouldn't make much sense.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:49 pm

OK... I just booked an economy milesaver award for two people from LAX non stop to BNE (QF16) ....using AA Miles to fly on Qantas metal.....that Qantas flight does not show up on AA's Website, so it required a phone call...... I was charged $80, (plus the award "taxes" etc" for that. booking over the phone...is that correct??
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OKImready
OK... I just booked an economy milesaver award for two people from LAX non stop to BNE (QF16) ....using AA Miles to fly on Qantas metal.....that Qantas flight does not show up on AA's Website, so it required a phone call...... I was charged $80, (plus the award "taxes" etc" for that. booking over the phone...is that correct??
No. If it can't be booked online you shouldn't pay the $40x2. Call back and try to find a competent AAgent, if you can.
JDiver and OKImready like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Its time I burn some points for BA J award travel this summer. For a non-biz trip to Germany. DEN-FRA. Normally I go thru DFW on AA70 and occasionally ORD-LHR with BA to FRA for paid travel. Not a fan of the 788 from ORD TATL.

Rather than a DEN to AA70 award I think Ill try BA for DEN-LHR-FRA. Looks like 57.5k each way on a 744. And with no experience in the Club World seat lineup, I thought I would try it for the upper deck. EF shows 4 are open in the first leg.

Am I correct from previous posts that OW awards are processed within a few days which in my scenario would give me a shot to pick the upper deck?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AATrout
Its time I burn some points for BA J award travel this summer. For a non-biz trip to Germany. DEN-FRA. Normally I go thru DFW on AA70 and occasionally ORD-LHR with BA to FRA for paid travel. Not a fan of the 788 from ORD TATL.
Rather than a DEN to AA70 award I think Ill try BA for DEN-LHR-FRA. Looks like 57.5k each way on a 744. And with no experience in the Club World seat lineup, I thought I would try it for the upper deck. EF shows 4 are open in the first leg.
Am I correct from previous posts that OW awards are processed within a few days which in my scenario would give me a shot to pick the upper deck?

Why would you pay an extra $700 one way for a crappy, inferior BA J seat and no Wifi?
JJeffrey and FlightNurse like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer your question, a simple BA award booked at aa.com will most likely get ticketed within about an hour. But completely agree with the above in that this would be my last choice.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by SFO777

Why would you pay an extra $700 one way for a crappy, inferior BA J seat and no Wifi?
If you mean the absurd BA surcharges, I am completely aware of that. No AA availability outbound on J MileSAAver for my departure window; to get it with AAnytime would be at least 135k, and as high as 180k To me, 80k is ~ $600 or so. So its a wash.

Heard the seats were grim, but I thought I would give it a shot. I am generally OK with BA but havent any experience with them TATL, and a 744 is the only option from DEN.

edit: return was always AA71 so that isnt a factor. I still havent booked, so if things open up I may likely do AA70 on the way over.

Last edited by AATrout; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

If you mean the absurd BA surcharges, I am completely aware of that. No AA availability outbound on J MileSAAver for my departure window; to get it with AAnytime would be at least 135k, and as high as 180k To me, 80k is ~ $600 or so. So its a wash.

Heard the seats were grim, but I thought I would give it a shot. I am generally OK with BA but havent any experience with them TATL, and a 744 is the only option from DEN.
A window seat on the UD of the 744 is a pretty good experience in my opinion (and certainly the best BA J experience). Is it worth the extra $700? Probably not. But I do find there is something special (maybe nostalgic) about flying on the UD. And its probably not going to be around for that much longer, so its probably worth doing at least once.
SpammersAreScum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.